Fun Quiz – what type of CPS parent are you?

January 6, 2015 at 8:46 pm 26 comments

CPSQuiz

I am the upbeat parent.  Woo!

And as you know, we do things old-school around here and I can’t figure out how to imbed the fancy link.  So just click on the url link above.

SEHS offers by Tier (for kids that are currently freshmen) CPSO Update (and a PSA)

• 1. FUN! and Funny!  |  January 6, 2015 at 9:03 pm

I am the triumphant parent! LOL!

• 2. JenK  |  January 6, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Glass Half Full – true.

• 3. pantherettie  |  January 6, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Advocate Parent – pretty true!

• 4. Oneandonly  |  January 7, 2015 at 12:01 am

Advocate Parent – bazinga!

• 5. Nancy  |  January 7, 2015 at 2:19 am

Wow. This quiz was so one-sided and not fun at all. Apparently, either you’re a hater or a drunk.

• 6. Robin in WRP  |  January 7, 2015 at 6:44 am

Advocate, but some of those questions need a “none of the above”.

• […] Fun Quiz – what type of CPS parent are you? CPS Obsessed: Now for something just for fun.  A quiz by a CPS parent (not me) to identify your CPS parent persona. I am the upbeat parent.  Woo! […]

• 8. Peter  |  January 7, 2015 at 9:29 am

The Upbeat Parent

• 9. Chris  |  January 7, 2015 at 10:47 am

I’m with Nancy. And with Robin.

But then it wasn’t meant to be unbiased, and ‘none of the above’ is a not-fun answer, from everyone’s perspective.

• 10. klm  |  January 7, 2015 at 11:57 am

As much as I (pretend to ….wait really DO) hate gross
    generalizations, this was so funny, true on many levels and just plain fun!

I’m a “Triumphant Parent.”

I do have to say, I imagine one’s responses depends often on one’s FIRST child (if s/he’s ‘gifted’ and gets into Edison or Decatur, one tends to love CPS, if s/he needs extra help and services and one’s local CPS school is a ‘Oh, God, no way, ever’ sort of school, then one will think and answer differently and start checking prices for double-wides in a district with ‘good’ school 100% guaranteed if need be). Also, if somebody had the foresight or luck to buy or rent into one of the Golden Ticket CPS neighborhood schools, one’s feelings will also be different than the person who feels like a sucker for buying on the “wrong” side of the street and will be cursing any person (realtor, spouse or whoever) that talked them into buying “this overpriced dump with a crap neighborhood school.” I sometimes feel like my house is too dumpy (we need a new kitchen, the floors are a mess, ,etc.), but when I consider its awesome CPS neighborhood school that this house is connected with, it’s not so bad.

• 11. mom2  |  January 7, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Agree that you need to pick a child to base this on. My first got a lucky lottery number for a great school and then got into a SEHS. Second one will have more issues. I’m drunk because I kept shifting back and forth between the two 🙂 But I do need my drink at night to get through the crazy amount of homework!

• 12. 3rd grade - neighborhood school parent  |  January 7, 2015 at 1:35 pm

i guess i wear the ‘label’ – advocate. So, this low-stakes test was probably accurate for me.
    I would have liked to see the categories that I didn’t get assigned; Triumphant and Upbeat sound like good descriptors ; )

thx! for the fun.

• 13. SouthSideIrish4  |  January 7, 2015 at 2:02 pm

It was a fun little test~I am an Advocate Parent~and it’s accurate.

• 14. mom2boys  |  January 7, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Advocate Parent label seems to fit me. Thanks for the fun! Of course, some of the questions are geared to parents of kids not yet in high school (I have a freshman and a junior). Guess this underscores the idea that SEHS is the ultimate obsession.

• 15. Front Row  |  January 7, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Rham new ad is actually playing the race card. The beginning two scenes show just white kids while the narrator describes how a full day kindergarten was just for a “few” i.e white families. The third scene shows Rham crouching down to two black kids while the narrator explains how Rham expanded kindergarten to everyone, i.e blacks. The pandering never stops.

• 16. RahmOK!  |  January 7, 2015 at 3:15 pm

15 how about pay for your own schooling? Don’t have more kids than you can reasonably afford to educate, feed, house, etc. What a concept.

• 17. northside kindergarten  |  January 7, 2015 at 4:40 pm

@15 that’s so strange. Before the expanded kindergarten, only low income schools had full day kindergarten for free. In our school to have full day kindergarten the families had to raise enough money for everyone at the school to have full day, or we couldn’t have it at all. So it seems Rahm’s pictures are backwards.

• 18. Chris  |  January 7, 2015 at 5:33 pm

“Before the expanded kindergarten, only low income schools had full day kindergarten for free.”

Even that “for free” innovation happened under Rahm. See:

Your school raising money “for” full day K was to avoid pitting K against (say) art–discretionary funds *could* have been used for full day K, but weren’t.

• 19. pantherparent  |  January 8, 2015 at 4:57 pm

I found the quiz very funny. And I’ll wear the label Triumphant Parent proudly with two kids at the only school that matters, Northside Prep. (That’s a joke, everyone, from one of the quiz questions.)

• 20. Soside mom5  |  January 12, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Ooh, I got Soon to Be Ex-CPS Parent. Funny and nearly accurate, as for the first time ever, I’m considering two private schools for my soon to be freshman. I also consider myself an advocate, but there’s only so much head bashing you can do.

• 21. newcomer  |  January 12, 2015 at 11:44 pm

pantherparent- I’d love to get your feedback on NCP, more in detail. Any way we could speak off of this site?

• 22. pantherparent  |  January 14, 2015 at 11:54 am

@21 We have other Northside parents on this site as well, so it may be beneficial to throw any questions out there to the community and get different viewpoints rather than just mine.

Also, Northside has an LSC meeting on the 21st. That’s a great place to get questions answered from both LSC members and parents in attendance (of which I will probably be one). Happy to speak to you after that.

• 23. Newcomer  |  January 14, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Thanks, Panther! So one doesn’t have to be a current parent to attend an LSC meeting?
    And I don’t want to hijack this (cute and fun thread), but in generally my son was scared off by the teacher presentations at the Open House, as they seemed really harried and unenthusiastic and brusque and dismissive. I can certainly imagine that Open House is not their favorite activity of the year, but we are looking for a bit of reassurance on how students feel about the teachers- are they invested, supportive, available, passionate ? Thanks very much for your valuable input.

• 24. pantherparent  |  January 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Keeping a thread on topic is nearly impossible so we’ll veer off a little here.

Anyone can go to any LSC meeting. It was brought up by someone here as a great way to learn about what’s important at the school. I agree. Go and see what they talk about. Listen to the principal’s report. Plus you can talk to LSC members or other parents after.

I had the opportunity to volunteer at this year’s open house and it’s fair to say not every teacher is thrilled with giving up a Sunday to give the same 5 minute speech a couple of dozen times to less than enthused 7th and 8th graders.

I can tell you that the teachers at Northside are more than willing to go out of their way to assist the students. My kids have emailed them questions at night or on weekends and they usually get a timely response. The best way I can put it is the teachers at Northside want the students to succeed and are willing to make sure that happens.

• 25. momof3fish  |  January 16, 2015 at 1:39 am

Has anyone seen this show? This show is so hilarious!! Train wreck, tiger moms, and bratty genius kids…

• 26. Newcomer  |  January 16, 2015 at 10:57 am

Thank you, Panther. I look forward to the meeting. And now back to that fun quiz!!