Groupon: $11 buys a CPS student a year of school supplies

August 5, 2012 at 6:35 pm 13 comments

Well, we haven’t gotten Groupon High off the ground yet, but Groupon has graciously partnered with CPS to make it easy to provide a year’s worthy of school supplies for a CPS student for only $11.  $18 throws in a backpack too.  If you have a Groupon account, it’s so easy to click and the rest is all take care of.  Small donation, big rewards.   I hope these kids don’t chew up pencils like my son does.  But seriously, we all know how much those school supplies cost.  Please help out if you can.

South Loop community interested in using Jones building for a new High School (guest post) Eric Zorn article on the longer day

• 1. mom2  |  August 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Very nice. They have over 1400 donations already. That’s great. I did my part. It sounds like it all goes right to the kids that need it.

• 2. Whatever  |  August 6, 2012 at 9:33 am

Overpriced, look at the content list. Who is making all the profit here?

• 3. HS Mom  |  August 6, 2012 at 9:45 am

@2 – are you kidding me – $18 for a backpack and 30 “name brand” items plus storage box. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

• 4. cpsobsessed  |  August 6, 2012 at 9:49 am

These are the kit components. The $18 set includes a backpack too.

I dunno…. the photos are small, but i’m seeing what looks like at least $20 worth of supplies in the box, if not more.

• 5. cpsmama  |  August 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

Thanks for the heads-up on this, CPSObsessed. I am happy to help this cause and kudos to Groupon for helping without taking a dime from the organization. Love it!

P.S. Don’t know if the price changed since you posted this, but it was $11 for kit/ $18 w/backpack when I donated.

• 6. cpsobsessed  |  August 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Revised – only $11 per kit!
    It is super easy to order.

• 7. LR  |  August 8, 2012 at 8:53 am

I’d say $11/$18 is a good deal! Not to change the subject, but has anyone heard whether the CTU and CPS have made any further progress on the subject of pay and the longer year and any other residual issues out there? Isn’t the clock ticking? Don’t Track E schools start next week? I thought the last day of the 30 days is supposed to be up sometime next week. It just makes me nervous that I’ve heard nothing. Makes me wonder what’s taking so long.

• 8. NBCT Vet  |  August 8, 2012 at 10:00 am

LR, the mayor has decided that the longest day will now be 7 hours for elementary and 7:15 for high schools. In order to staff elementary schools appropriately (with art, music, technology, P.E., etc.) CPS has agreed to hire 477.5 – 750 teachers depending on how you look at it.

There has been no progress on compensation and benefits and little to no progress that I know of on other issues.

• 9. Tchr  |  August 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Track E teacher here! New evaluation system is a joke. The school wide student scores effect my score as a K teacher (in a school with a large transient population. And students that commonly miss a day a week.)

Also CPS posted the pre and post tests Teachers also score their own students’ tests Do they want teachers to teach to the test? Aka practice the exact skills taught? Aka cheat the system???

Hopefully this will all be worked out…. Right.

• 10. LR  |  August 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Wow, ok. Thanks for the updates. I knew about hiring hundreds of teachers. As I suspected, no progress on anything else. I’m sure this will be in the news next week. I just wish I knew what was going on. Does all this go on behind closed doors?

• 11. NBCT Vet  |  August 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm

LR,

Correct, negotiations are not open to the public. Though these negotiations are more contentious then they have been in decades, the last minute nature of the negotiations are not unusual.

What really throws a wrench into things is SB7. Without SB7, the last contract just continues until a new agreement is reached. With SB7 the Board has the authority to impose major and drastic changes in the middle of negotiations. Not exactly a builder of good will.

• 12. arlinda  |  August 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Can you still purchase the kits ???…if yes how ??

• 13. cpsmama  |  August 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm

arlinda- the Groupon expired, but you can still purchase/donate through the company, Kits for Kidz at this link: