Book Club Meeting Sunday July 29 7pm

July 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm 27 comments

*** BOOK CLUB MEETING ****
Ok, I’ve figured out a place to meet for the book club meeting.

Feel free to come and discuss The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education by Diane Ravitch.  If you haven’t read the book, but feel that a night of of beer/wine and discussion of education policy is your idea of a good time, like it is mine, feel free to come join in!

Sunday July 29th 7pm
42 Degrees North Latitude (bar with food)
4500 N Lincoln Ave
(between Sunnyside Ave & Wilson Ave)
They have a big, quiet back room where we can meet. There is usully parking in front of Sultzer library at that time, or on side streets.

Please let me know here if you think you’ll make it. I’ll have some discussion topics ready, but feel free to bring your favorite topics/questions/etc to discuss.

Hope to see you there!!!

The 2013 Budget: The Good, The Bad, and the Fugly South Loop RGC Update – New RGC Opening?

• 1. anonymous  |  July 23, 2012 at 7:08 am

Yay! c u there.

• 2. About Rajiv Kashyap  |  July 23, 2012 at 8:41 am

Wow, I will be there too.
    I am big fan of books.

• 3. Mayfair Dad  |  July 23, 2012 at 9:21 am

I am a big fan of bars with food. Count me in.

• 4. cpsobsessed  |  July 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

Yay! So glad to be meeting some of you!
    I can’t vouch for the food there, but the appeal of the big, usually empty back space won out.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 5. chicagodad  |  July 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Arrrgh! Major conflict so I won’t be there…… Guess I’ll have to wait till next time. Regards to all and ENJOY!

• 6. Working mommy of 2  |  July 26, 2012 at 12:33 am

Hate to miss it (especially since I live about two blocks from there) but will be on vacation. Would love to hear afterward what the biggest discussion point was. I read the book (learned a lot, particularly about NCLB fallout, but thought some of it got repetitive) and am definitely interested in others’ opinions.

• 7. local  |  July 26, 2012 at 10:51 am

This from ChiArts HS: “As a result of taking the PSAE, ChiArts now has its first ACT Composite score (an average of all student scores). With an ACT Composite of 19.8, ChiArts is now able to provide an important data point for comparing ChiArts to other high schools in Chicago. Based on historical data, this puts ChiArts in the top 20 high schools in CPS. Scores for all CPS schools will be published in the local newspapers in the fall.”

• 8. Chicago Mama  |  July 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I will be there

• 9. Chicago Mama  |  July 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm

P.S. food is pretty good

• 10. SR  |  July 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I’m planning to come.

• 11. Mayfair Dad  |  July 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm

@7 – pretty underwhelming for a selective enrollment high school.

• 12. HS Mom  |  July 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm

MD – I believe Chi-arts is a charter.

• 13. SoxSideIrish4  |  July 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm

#11 & #12~this was their first yr taking the ACT and they are an ARTS school…I thought they did ok for their first time taking it. They are NOT a charter. It’s hard to get into, you have to audition, have good grades and the days are long. I know a girl who goes there and loves it. It’s a college prep but its focus is in the ARTS.

• 14. SoxSideIrish4  |  July 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Also, I can’t believe I won’t be here at the Book Club meeting bc of vaca…I def plan on coming to the next one…have a grand time!

• 15. HS Mom  |  July 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm

@13 – from the Chi-arts web site “ChiArts is a Renaissance 2010 Contract School and Chicago’s first public arts high school”. They have their very own impressive board of directors. How is a contract school different from a charter? Asking, because I don’t know.

Admission is not by academic testing. Prospective applicants have a portfolio/audition.

• 16. HSObsessed  |  July 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Yes, 19.8 is not very impressive. My daughter wants to audition so we’ll definitely be checking it out this fall.

• 17. SoxSideIrish4  |  July 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm

#15~HSMom…I don’t know the difference..I know that a girl in our area goes there and loves it (she’s into theatre)…but when I asked if it was a charter I was told ‘no’. I’m sorry I don’t have the answer to your question.

• 18. SoxSideIrish4  |  July 28, 2012 at 5:52 pm

#15~HS Mom~you are right Chiarts is a contract school not a charter. The difference is on the CPS website~ http://cps.edu/NewSchools/Pages/SchoolTypes.aspx

• 19. k mom  |  July 28, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Though I am only half-way thru the book, I will try to make it tomorrow.

• 20. CarolA  |  July 29, 2012 at 7:11 am

Sorry for the late reply. Would love to be there, but have family commitments. Hopefully there will be another opportunity to meet. Keep us posted.

• 21. TeachinChi  |  July 29, 2012 at 9:54 am

Chiarts is a contract school as mentioned. There is no selective enrollment academic testing to enter. The school represents all 50 wards and educates children from almost every elementary school in Chicago. It is one of, if not the most, diverse high schools in the city.

That is impressive.

• 22. Paul  |  July 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I plan on coming to the book club meeting. Looking forward to seeing some of you.

• 23. cpsobsessed  |  July 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Great! Looking forward to seeing people as humans! 🙂

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 24. j  |  July 29, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I am coming as well….

• 25. been there done that  |  July 29, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I have my eye on ChiARts. It is so new and really had a rough start with the change in location. I think the scores are not so hot but it is a school I have my eye on. Especially since it will be relocated to the Malcom X building. The buidling will be a hub for many art programs as well as CHI ARTs.
    The Tribune ran an article about the school and the big move.

• 26. IB obsessed  |  July 29, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Edgewater rocks. We had the most people show up. Mayfair 0. 😉

• 27. Mayfair Dad  |  July 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

@ 26: Ouch. I was volunteered into staying at a little league picnic. I’m really sorry I missed the fun-loving Edgewater gang. Rain check?