LSC Elections – Final Plugs

April 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm 118 comments

LSC elections are this week.  Wednesday for Elementary, Thursday for High Schools.  We can all vote for both.  Some of us can vote at 3 or more schools. What fun!

Many LSC elections are decided by just a few votes one way or another.  This is a case where your vote (and your mobilization of friends/neighbors) really CAN make a difference in the makeup of a school’s local council.  Many schools could use a fresh start and have potential for change if parents keep pushing.

News from Buena Park schools (since I used their nice LSC logo):

Two groups I am supporting if you happen to live in the area:
Waters Elementary:

• Terri Versace
  • Christine Weldon

Amundsen High School (I really think this place has potential, contingent upon the hiring of a new principal by June 30th).  These community spots are critical as they could be some of the only new blood on the LSC.  The neighborhood group would like to unseat a longtime member with strong political ties.  Seems like a good guy, but it just is time for some new ideas to get the school on people’s radar.

• Jeff Newman
  • Michael Cohen (husband of Wendy from RYH)

Feel free to post your own endorsements below.  Please vote!  And tell your friends!  And even if they don’t win, still go to the meetings and ask the tough questions!

Nightline Show tonight on NYC Gifted/Talented Program + Article WBEZ story on the IB High School Programs

• 1. cpsobsessed  |  April 16, 2012 at 8:48 pm

This was emailed by a reader. Can you believe how long this principal has been there? Budlong is close to my new home. I haven’t heard much about it, but they have a fun playground and their test scores are decent.

The principal of Budlong is retiring after a really really long tenure (46 years, 56 years, something like that.) There’s a new neighborhood organization in the area (Lincoln Square North Neighbors) that is using this as an opportunity to try and begin the process of improving the school. The first step is to get a new, active LSC in place. They’ll be in charge of hiring the new principal, so the upcoming LSC election is very important to the future of Budlong. The five parent candidates that we’re trying to rally the neighborhood behind are:
    Barbara Stewart
    Yolanda Donates
    Omar Rodriguez
    Roger Germino
    Joy Ferstein

If you know anyone who lives in the Budlong district, please encourage them to vote in the LSC elections this week – April 18th from 6am to 7pm. We’ve got a great chance to make some major changes in the immediate future!

• 2. mom2  |  April 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Can you believe the number of principals retiring this year? Lane’s pincipal, Budlong, Hawthorne lost their pincipal, and many many others. It may be difficult for all these schools to find good replacements or will it really shake things up to get really new blood in these positions?

• 3. PortageParent  |  April 16, 2012 at 9:55 pm

You said it, mom2. I’ve heard there are around 150 principals retiring. I doubt that the schools that really need a shake up will get one, with the approved principal pool being so limited. The numbers being passed through the grapevine are 150 retiring and only @90 in the pool (I did see a different number in catalyst post somewhere. It still wasn’t great). I think a lot of APs are going to get the job, even if they are no better than the previous admin. Time is an issue…LSCs don’t have much time to search or try to circumvent the pool, otherwise schools will have an interim principal appointed for them. And nobody wants that. So, it’s disheartening to see that there will be little chance of a shake up across the board.

I wish I could find a post on here where someone in the comments wrote about their LSC’s principal search and how they managed to hire someone from Colorado (I think). Anyone recall that comment or thread?

• 4. PortageParent  |  April 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Yes, Terri Versace! What an incredible lady! She is so dedicated and resourceful. Great for Waters that she is running!

• 5. Mom2S  |  April 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Please vote for Lynn Ankney who is running for the LSC at Belding school in Old Irving Park/Mayfair area!

• 6. anonymouseteacher  |  April 16, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I don’t worry at all about the top performing schools and their ability to attract the best admins to their schools. They skim the best candidates off the top. It always seems to go that way. It is the other 90% I am concerned about. My veteran principal was telling us all about the last time there was shortages in both staff and admin areas. She described non-certified people in principalships and teaching positions, principals that had previously been fired or asked to resign were put back into positions, classrooms staffed with subs for the entire year because they were cheaper. This was in the 80’s when Chicago schools were considered the worst in the nation and that had something to do with it.
    For the life of me, I don’t understand why anyone would ever want to be a principal. It just seems like an awful job and while the money is decent, I am not sure any amount of money would be worth it. There are a ton of qualified teachers out there with type 75’s but no one wants to take on that level of stress.

• 7. McP  |  April 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm

If you live in the McPherson boundaries, please vote for the following candidates:
    Community – Jake Hebert Katie Osgood
    Parent – Mike Carlson Steve Sul Greta Madigan

• 8. fosterrice  |  April 16, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Sorry to go off topic, but what’s the story with Hawthorne’s principal? I didn’t realize she had left.

• 9. Portage mama  |  April 17, 2012 at 12:10 am

Inter-American Magnet School did a national search and did select a wonderful principal from Colorado. Inter-American parents and community members invite anyone 18 or older and live between Diversey (2800 N) and Foster (5200 N),Lake Michigan and Western (2400 W) to vote for up to FIVE people. If you are on either side of boundary streets, your vote counts.

These 5 people are committed to academic excellence in the community (numbers refer to ballot positions):

#05 LISANDRA “MS. LISA” VAZQUEZ (parent)
    #08 KAREN BARBOUR (parent)
    #09 GUILLERMO VIDAURRE (parent)
    #28 MARGARET AGUILAR (community)
    #29 JILL WOHL (community)

Bring TWO forms of ID (one with current address, e.g. Driver’s License, utility bill, voter registration, lease). Picture ID
    not necessary. Questions? Need help parking or rides? Text iams@txt.att.net

Your vote is urgently needed at the Inter-American Magnet School (IAMS) Local School Council Election on Wednesday, April 18, 2012
    (6AM-7PM). It’s quick, easy and your participation ensures academic excellence in your community.

Inter-American is a great public school. Its unique multilingual, multicultural program adds something special to the community.
    But its continued success depends on neighbors like you to elect LSC representatives with diverse and independent
    viewpoints that put the educational needs of children first.

The school is located near Halsted & Addison (between Center on Halsted and Wrigley Field). Entrance is on Fremont.
    Free parking will be available in the System lot off Addison, east of the police station. Bring card in to the school security
    desk to be validated. Polls open 6AM to 7PM.

Cast a vote where it can make a difference – for democratically elected Local School Councils.

• 10. BuenaParkMom  |  April 17, 2012 at 12:17 am

Stockton Elementary’s voting is on April 18th from 6am to 7pm. Please consider voting for Susan Ridihalgh for community representation to the LSC. Generalized boundary for Stockton is from Clark to Broadway between Montrose and Lawrence (except for South of Wilson you need to be on the West Side of Magnolia). If you are on the East side of Magnolia Stewart Elementary could use you to vote in their LSC, although sadly I don’t think they have a full slate yet again.

I believe I am eligible to vote at Inter-American, Disney, Brenneman, and perhaps Uplift and Senn. I assume you are able to vote in your attendance boundary high school?

• 11. Mike  |  April 17, 2012 at 1:06 am

At Beaubien, this LSC election is serious business! My kid’s backpack practically exploded with campaign flyers today, including one overly slick one that I actually thought was for the alderman!

Our mailbox and front door were bombed with flyers all weekend, too. One candidate rang our doorbell and talked to my wife and one caught me heading to my car! We have tried to find the good in this insanity–at least we have a lot more choices this time around and these people seem to care enough to campaign hard.

The current LSC voted to cut our music program and hired the assistant principal as our new principal. Those people will NOT get my votes again. Fool me once…

I plan on voting for people who seem sensible and sound like they have decent ideas about strengthening Beaubien (in alpha order):

-Michelle Baert (parent)
    -Norma Castrejon (parent)
    -Triscia Ewert (parent)
    -Jon Heller (parent)
    -Eric Pfeifelman (community)
    -Amy Serafin (community)

No matter who is elected, I plan on watching what they do very carefully this time around!

• 12. mud  |  April 17, 2012 at 1:36 am

Hawthorne’s principal was promoted to a higher level within CPS. Same thing happened with Audubon’s principal. Schools are undoubtedly competing to attract the top prospects and hire them before someone else does. I hope they can figure out a way to recruit and retain good principals because it really does seem to make all the difference in the world.

• 13. jillwohl  |  April 17, 2012 at 1:51 am

@3 Here’s my blog post on principal selection I that think you may be referring to: http://ilraiseyourhand.org/content/i-think-jesse-ruiz-doth-protest-too-much

Yes, we can all support each other where possible. Pay it forward with your LSC votes.

I talk to a lot of parents going through principal selection process. We need far better communication amongst ourselves to be better aware of our rights and responsibilities. Kudos to stalwarts Designs for Change and PURE (Parents United for Responsible Education).

I am delighted to see how much more public conversation there is about LSCs vs two years ago (crickets). This is a positive development for democratic education.

P.S. Come vote for me @ Inter-American!

• 14. Midway Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 7:06 am

Parents from Grimes and Fkeming Schools!
    Please vote for the following candidates:

Parent representative

#1 Nellie Cotton
    #4 Maria Carrillo
    #9 Mary Botello
    #10 Marissa Perez

Community representative

#2 Gabriel Cotton

These parents are proactive within our community and beyond, focused on community needs and are devoted to strengthening our schools and our community. We need a strong proactive LSC to represent us!

• 15. anonymous  |  April 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

mud — i think that is happening a lot.

• 16. Mayfair Dad  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

Here’s my plug: when you go to pick up your kids from school today, spend five extra minutes and walk inside the school to vote. Vote because you live in a democracy. Vote because you care about education. Vote because it is your responsibility.

BTW, I am on the ballot at Disney II and would greatly appreciate your support. But wherever you live and wherever your kids go to school – please vote.

• 17. Mayfair Dad  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

Vote TOMORROW. I was getting ahead of myself…again.

• 18. Miriam Sierig  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

If you are in the Hyde Park area, please go and vote at Murray Language Academy. A host of parents regard this as a make-it-or-break-it kind of election and we have assembled a slate of candidates who, we believe, could stop the current free fall of the school.

–Heather Taylor
    –Josephine Sanders
    –Tom Hoffer
    –Michael Ewing
    –Elizabeth Owens-Hunter
    –Julie Hammond

If you would like to vote for community representatives, we endorse

–Michael Scott
    –Kara Scott

Please visit our blog

parentsformurray.blogspot.com

for information on our candidates and watch for our fliers in the community.

• 19. cpsobsessed  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

Mayfair Dad – are you on the ballot as “Mayfair Dad?” 🙂

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 20. SR  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:36 am

Thanks, BuenaParkMom! And thanks to Jill and cpsobsessed for bringing more attention to the LSC elections.

I got some great advice here about running for Stockton’s LSC, and would appreciate votes from any Stockton-area people. My main goal as a community member will be to work on connecting the school and the community (residents, block clubs, businesses, alderman’s office, etc.) for the benefit of both. Stockton has a lot going for it, but so far hasn’t been supported by the larger community as much as it should (in my opinion). We have great momentum toward positive change in Uptown and I don’t want the schools to be left out.

–Susan Ridihalgh

• 21. Murphy LSC endorsements  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:40 am

If you have the ability to vote in the Murphy School LSC election please do:
    Community Reps:

Gretchen Scheffring (sp?)
    Tim Olander.

These two outstanding citizens at both tremendously active at two parks closest to Murphy.

Additionally,
    Russ Bryd
    Roberta Salas
    Teresa Gonzales
    are all returning parents and great LSC members.

-RL Julia

• 22. fosterrice  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

The Waters LSC election is especially important this year. If you are a parent, future parent, or community member PLEASE VOTE at the Waters Gym, Campbell and Wilson, Weds April 18, 6am-7pm.

Please consider voting for me, Greg Foster-Rice, as parent candidate for Waters Elementary. A group of us are endorsing one another and dedicated to Working Together for Waters alongside other parents, teachers, community members and administrators. Please vote for:

Mariuxi Benitez
    Greg Foster-Rice
    Hugo Siguenza
    Terri Versace
    Matthew Weinstock
    Christine Weldon

Together we are best positioned to support Waters’ distinctive mission and continue its record of excellence. We are committed to collaboration and shared decision-making in the best interests of our students and the community-at-large.

Learn more about my candidacy at: http://www.centersquarejournal.com/lsc/gregory-foster-rice

And thank you for starting this thread!

• 23. RL Julia  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

For all you Payton parents out there –
    vote (for my friend) Beth Stover for LSC rep. She is currently is serving on the Payton LSC as an interim rep. She has lots of experience in education both policy and practice and is not afraid ask questions.

• 24. Mayfair Dad  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:54 am

@ 19. Shoeshine Boy.

• 25. Jen/hamilton  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:57 am

For those in Lake View HS boundaries, please consider voting for my husband, MITCH GORDON as a community rep.

We’ve been in the community for more than 13 years and would love to help Lake View become a strong and viable neighborhood school. I’ve been on the Hamilton LSC for the past two years and my husband is now eager to get involved at the HS level. He has a real passion for science and technology and has strong community ties and most importantly the desire to help make a difference.

• 26. mom2  |  April 17, 2012 at 10:18 am

@25 – do you have others you would like to see on the LSC with your husband? If I go vote there, I’d like advice about who is most willing to make Lake View HS the school that Lake View neighborhood parents would be thrilled to send their college bound children.

• 27. chicagodad  |  April 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

For all those who are supporting LSC’s here I salute you, and I will absolutely be voting in every election I am qualified to vote in. I am writing today to share the link below on how CPS, under Brizard’s leadership, did not do what CPS had been doing for the previous decade in supporting LSC’s. Brizard tried to ignore and marginalize parents voices in his last job in Rochester, and since they have an elected school board, he was shown the door. When it comes to our schools, the price of liberty is vigilance. http://pureparents.org/?p=18990

• 28. chicagodad  |  April 17, 2012 at 10:49 am

Just a copy/paste to give a quick look:

“Independent groups seeking to recruit LSC candidates encountered multiple forms of resistance from the school system’s central administration in the run-up to the eleventh LSC election, including problems that they had not experienced in the ten previous LSC elections. For example:

• The school system’s Office of LSC Relations did not coordinate meetings and communications with interested independent groups to plan a coherent recruitment and election strategy.
    • While in past elections, the Office of LSC Relations had released a daily computerized tally of the number of candidates for each position by school in the last month of the recruitment period (which allows groups to target their recruitment), the Office of LSC Relations stated that they would release these data only in response to a Freedom of Information Request, to which the school system typically takes at least ten days to respond. This delay makes the resulting information (which changes day-to-day) useless.”

Using FOIA to block parents? WHAT?

• 29. KellerMom  |  April 17, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Voters in the Keller district (south of 87th and west of halsted),please vote for:

Christine McGovern (parent)
    Chad Syverson (parent)
    Pat Berklich (parent)
    Steven Simmons or Michael byrd (parent)
    Jim Paris or Denis Riordan (community)

Keller needs new leadership as we move to replace our former principal.

• 30. Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Question for eligibility for voting (for magnet/gifted/classical): Can you vote for an LSC at school for which you have an incoming student but no one currently enrolled?

• 31. melissa  |  April 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I’m running at Stone Academy as a community rep and would appreciate your vote, Melissa Kreke #28

• 32. linafritzforlsc  |  April 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm

For those living in Hyde Park in the Shoesmith catchment area, please vote for Lina Fritz and Tom McDougal! Follow this link for more information about our goals and qualifications. We are hard at working turning this school into a neighborhood option for our community.

• 33. Sped Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I’m plugging for MARY FAHEY-HUGHES for the LC of the Agricutural High School (CHSAS) in Mount Greenwood:

Here’s her statement:

I’m running for a Community Member position on the Ag School LSC and I’d appreciate your support. The election is Thursday, April 19, 2012, at the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences, 3857 W. 111th Street, Chicago, IL 60655. The elections are from 6:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. My Candidate Statement follows. Please come out and vote.

Candidate Statement: My name is Mary Hughes and I am seeking your vote for a Community Member position on the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences Local School Council. I am a Beverly resident, the wife of a Chicago Firefighter and mother to four children. I was previously on the LSC for Barbara Vick Early Childhood and Family Center and I am also a Founder and Chairperson for the parent support and advocacy group, Beverly Area Parents for Special Education. Our group meets monthly to provide support surrounding the special education challenges for our children with special needs, provide speakers on such subjects as Special Education Rights, nutrition and special recreation, and also advocate for our children through our legislators by seeking increased services, facilities and programs for all children our neighborhood.

In addition to my work on a local level, I am a member of the city-wide Parent Advisory Committee for the Office of Specialized Services for CPS. As a community member, I am committed to supporting Principal Hook in maintaining the excellence in the programs at CHSAS while giving voice to community concerns for increased opportunity for admission for neighborhood children and expanding programs for children with special needs.

• 34. Kelly  |  April 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Is there a way to get copies of the candidate statements? I called my local elementary, local high school, and our proximity magnet. They all said I had to come in when the office was open and read them from a bulletin board. Is that really the only way?

• 35. Kelly  |  April 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Plus – they take them down at the end of the school day before the election day so you can’t even read them when you go in to vote.

• 36. linafritzforlsc  |  April 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Some schools have them posted on their websites. Others have not. It’s really up to the initiative of individual candidates to get the word out. My specific school has chosen not to post the candidate statements on their website. I ended up creating a blog page on wordpress just to get my candidate statement online.

• 37. PTA Southside Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm

For Lenart Regional Gifted Center, the 3 H’s, Trina Hodo, Chanda Hardy-Davis, and Crystal Haynes. All are proven candidates that are working diligently to find a candidate for principal and assistant principal next year.

• 38. Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

For Pritzker please vote for:
    Mark Bishop
    Rachel Lessem
    Melissa Mendoza
    Christina Nelson
    Don Roseen
    Renata Stiehl

And for community reps, Joe Conway and Mike Curran.

• 39. Ravenswood Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Kelly @34 & 35 – some candidates have posted info at Center Square Journal and Roscoe View Journal. Depending on what your local school is you may find some info at one of those links.

• 40. Mandy  |  April 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Volta Elementary:
    Kristen Banks (community)
    Daniel Hey (community)

Disney II Magnet:
    Scott Kellogg (parent)

Roosevelt High:
    Jessica Bouboulis (community)

LSC can have a huge impact on the success of your school! Please make sure to vote!

• 41. Amy Kellogg  |  April 17, 2012 at 5:57 pm

My husband is running for parent representative at Disney II Magnet tomorrow. We believe education is very important and taking an active role. His name is Scott Kellogg. Since Disney II is a magnet school, attendance boundaries don’t matter-it is open to city-wide voting. Get out and vote to help support education. Disney II address is 3815 N Kedvale and voting will take place in the cafeteria from 6am-7pm.
    **Remember, you can only vote for five people total on each ballot, otherwise your ballot will be void.

• 42. A  |  April 17, 2012 at 5:58 pm

For Lincoln Elementary School, please vote for Curt Weiss as community representative.

Lincoln is facing some major decisions this year about how to deal with overcrowding. I urge you to support the candidates who are in favor of a solution that involves increasing the size of the facilities, not redistricting. Candidate statements on redistricting are available here:

Full candidate statements are available here:

• 43. Amy Kellogg  |  April 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Just as a reminder to a lot of folks on here, according to the LSC election manual
    On page 23, it shows each voter can cast a vote for up to 5 people TOTAL and that counts both parent and community candidates combined. If you vote for more than 5, it will SPOIL your ballot.

• 44. Future CPS Kinder Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Just received a very irritating phone call. Came up as caller unknown but I picked it up. Was one of those automated type messages slamming a candidate for our local high school LSC. Now frankly, I had never heard of the man but was extremely irritated by the tactics. The message immediately started slandering the individual, calling him a known alcoholic and convicted drunk driver. Whether or not this information is true, I am appalled and disgusted at the method of personal attack. Seems to me that if this is accurate information and is of concern as to one’s ability to serve on the council, then there are better ways to handle it. The call did not identify which organization was calling at the beginning (frankly, I hung up before the message finished as I got so disgusted. I did not hear the end to see who had paid for the message, if it was even mentioned.) I just want to say though, this type of approach is disgusting and I was surprised to hear such a call in regards to an LSC election. Maybe I shouldn’t be…..

• 45. Northside Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Just received first ever robo call about LSC elections for Amundsen. Does anyone know if it’s true that a current LSC community member running for re election has 7 DUI arrests? I don’t want to slander anyone but would like to know if the information is legit.

• 46. kfb  |  April 17, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I received the same robo call about the Amundsen LSC elections just a few minutes ago.

I have children at Waters and am supporting the Working Together for Waters group and specifically:

Greg Foster-Rice
    Terri Versace
    Matthew Weinstock
    Christine Weldon

My 5th vote will go to either Mariuxi Benitez or Hugo Siguenza.

All great people that I really would like to see elected!

• 47. Future CPS Kinder Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 8:13 pm

@45 That is the call I received too. Did you stay on through the entire call? Did it say who funded the call?

• 48. falconergrad  |  April 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

My husband is running at Portage Park. His name is David Nordwall. We have 13 parents running! We are getting a new principal!

• 49. J  |  April 17, 2012 at 8:52 pm

@47 I got the same call and listened to the whole thing because I was so stunned. No identification of who it was coming from other than a Nevada phone #.

• 50. Northside Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I listened to the whole thing too. No mention of who funded it.

• 51. Future CPS Kinder Mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm

50 – Obviously that makes the entire call extremely suspicious. Disgusting.

• 52. Dad  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Anyone have recs for Schurz?

• 53. karen barbour  |  April 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm

INTER-AMERICAN LSC

Please help us to maintain stability and an upward trend. The opposition is aiming to place a 6th principal in the last 10 years, despite huge test score gains and curricular advances.

please vote for only 5:

#3 – Ana Camino
    # 5 – Lisandra Vazquez
    #7 – Marisol Morales
    #8 – Karen Barbour
    #9 – Guillermo Vidaurre
    #10 – Julie Grisalez

Western ave to Lake Michigan, Foster Ave to Diversey Ave… Please come and vote… 851 W. Waveland…

• 54. wide net mom  |  April 17, 2012 at 10:55 pm

RL Julia — did you go to the Schurz mtg tonight?

• 55. Patrick Boylan  |  April 17, 2012 at 11:54 pm

As noted on the FaceBook page of The Welles Park Bulldog tonight, the Amundsen LSC met in executive session this evening to consider how to fill the coming vacancy of Carlos Munoz. It does not appear likely the current LSC will wait for a new LSC to select the next principal of the school.

The Dog has an extensive list of candidate statements for many of the 17 North Side schools it covers. You can find the school list at this index page: http://www.wellesparkbulldog.com/news/lsc-coverage

There were some questions about voting above. There are stories in the Bulldog about who can vote, where you can vote (for North Area Attendance), what you need to vote. Read LSC FAQ and also go to the mascot page on Google+.

There were questions about the FOIAs demanded by CPS for election records. Read the AustinTalks story on The Dog page and also the short or long story on March 1 about The Dog’s involvement in trying to secure these records.

If you need press coverage of an election issue, first call the LSC Election Central Office at +1.312.553.1400 and try to resolve it without us. Then, consider calling The Dog. +1.312.545.4342 (Patrick) if you are on the North Side.

Good luck to all the candidates.

• […] LSC Elections – Final Plugs cpsobsessed: Two groups I am supporting if you happen to live in the area: Waters Elementary: Terri Versace, Christine Weldon. Amundsen High Schoo: Jeff Newman, Michael Cohen (husband of Wendy from RYH). […]

• 57. CA  |  April 18, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hey Waters people — CPSO, 22, 46 — I can only vote for community reps, so the two people I know, Terri and Christine are out. Which of your good candidates are community? Also, since I don’t have kids at the school do I get 5 votes for community, or only 2?

• 58. mil mom  |  April 18, 2012 at 8:26 am

For Coonley LSC there are many great candidates to choose from but I want to put a special plug in for parent candidate York Chan. His experience, aptitude, and skill set are impressive and will be a great fit as Coonley continues to grow and address its increasing space issues. My daughter has been in the options program with his for the past three years and the other thing that sets him apart from the crowd is fabulous communication skills, York is heavily involved with the school and provides the other class parents with detailed descriptions of events, forums etc. Coonley, or any school, would benefit greatly from increased communication between the LSC and general parent population, so much goes on at the meetings, but most parents do not have time to attend meetings or sort through the minutes. York, better than anyone else I know, would be able to bridge the gap and make sure that all school parents are aware of important developments in the LSC.

• 59. cpsobsessed  |  April 18, 2012 at 8:36 am

GO YORK!
    Forgot to endorse him for coonley.
    Great, sane, committed parent and sometimes blog commenter.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 61. jillwohl  |  April 18, 2012 at 8:56 am

@57 Community members are not limited to only voting for community. They can vote for any 5 parents OR community members.

• 62. cpsobsessed  |  April 18, 2012 at 8:58 am

Forgot – GO JILL! At inter-american.

Jill and I used to work together long ago and it’s been fun to have both re-surfaced in the CPS world. She’s a huge advocate of parent impact and involvement via LSCs.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 63. Patrick Boylan  |  April 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

The Welles Park Bulldog is reporting on voting using its FaceBook page: http://www.facebook.com/The.Chicago.Bulldog

Possible voter intimidation at Trumbull. No principals at some schools, so judges are not sworn in (Ravenswood and Budlong). Ballot shortage at Ravenswood, Waters

• 64. jillwohl  |  April 18, 2012 at 9:08 am

OK, I am trying to compile into an easy-to-read list here: http://ilraiseyourhand.org/content/get-yer-lsc-elections

Polls are open until 7pm. Good luck all!

• 65. Bookworm  |  April 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

I think that LScs are the first places to show how school communities polarize as they change. I’m always leery of the slate minded “vote for.. ..” mindset as it can be very difficult to understand school cultures when we don’t attend the schools.

The rude calls and tense environments emerging around LSC elections in part stem from calls to vote for four or five people that you don’t really know in a school you do not attend. How can anyone vote for a person one has never met –much less five –at a school they have never spent an afternoon in?

I hope that anyone voting in today’s election takes the time to go beyond reading candidate statements and to actually speak to parents and teachers spending their lives at the school if you can. And not just people you think you agree with.

Please get a really good idea of who you are voting for and how it can impact the school because your vote has huge impact and it might not be the result that a slate driven coalition is selling you.

Many times parents who run for lsc are never the people who volunteer to do the messy boring stuff. I’d love to get some of the parents who do the daily grind style of helping out to run for our lsc. Sadly they are usually too nice to try it now that our election can be a circus and community members vote the email list their neighbors sent with no idea of the real effect in our school community. Few of the most helpful, insightful and genuine people who run for our lsc ever get elected anymore because our parents don’t elect our lsc, the much large community that does not attend does. Here’s hoping for a better result this year.

• 66. chicagodad  |  April 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

I too was appalled to hear of robocalls for LSC elections, and from a Nevada phone #??????? There has got to be a way to ban this, as this is absolutely NOT THE WAY WE WANT LSC’s TO GO!!! Almost sorry for caps but this is just so wrong! An interesting question is how did the caller/organization get the list of those that were called and what was that list? Hopefully time will tell.

• 67. K  |  April 18, 2012 at 10:00 am

Not sure why, but I made a mistake on my ballot and asked for a new one (as per instructions ON the ballot) at McPherson this morning. Judge made sure I know what she thinks about that! Unfortunately, not a good experience.

• 68. PortageParent  |  April 18, 2012 at 10:38 am

Anyone have experience with candidates at Portage Park Elementary or Shurz high school?

• 69. PortageParent  |  April 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

Here’s my pitch for Karen Hynes, at Edison RGC:

Karen is a former CPS special needs teacher and has a background in educational law. She’s volunteered tirelessly at Edison and is devoted to the children there. She’s smart, organized, and thoughtful. Vote Karen Hynes, position #8 on the ballot!

• 70. John  |  April 18, 2012 at 11:04 am

Any recommendations for Hamilton?

• 71. BuenaParkMom  |  April 18, 2012 at 11:18 am

If you’re in Brenneman Elementary’s attendance boundary in Buena Park/Uptown please consider voting for Mike Simmons for community rep. Thanks.

• 72. chicagodad  |  April 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

From what little I’ve seen, the LSC’s in a whole lot or our schools are far more qualified to be on the CPS board than the sock puppets that we have now. That’s why CPS didn’t support parent involvement they way they claimed they would. Can’t stand the competition and scrutiny.

• 73. mcP  |  April 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

K @67 – sorry to hear that happened. please know that judge is not a staff member. she snipped at me b/c i didn’t hear her the first time asking me about the weather!

• 74. K  |  April 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm

mcP @73, thank you for your post and for sharing your experience at McPherson. I am starting to recover.

• 75. SouthSideDad  |  April 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm

If you live in the South Loop Elementary school district please vote for community representatives :

Keith D (Ballot #30)
    Jos S. (Ballot #28).

We are both community representatives committed to working hard for South Loop Elementary.

Thank you and good luck to all candidates.

• 76. a dad  |  April 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm

@66 we received a robocall yesterday too, that absolutely slammed a candidate running for Amundsen LSC. I was astounded at the tone of the call – it seemed almost slanderous.

• 77. LR  |  April 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm

#11: Thank You! My son just got into Beaubien. The election judge at Bell (my daughter’s school) told me I can vote. So, FYI everyone, if your child just got into a school, but has not attended yet, you can vote.

• 78. Dariaclone  |  April 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

The candidate statements for Bell were taken down yesterday. Anyone have an opinion there?

• 79. jillwohl  |  April 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm

@78 It’s the rule that candidates statements should be taken down for election day. Were they taken down yesterday during school, or merely after everyone left the building?

• 80. SoxSideIrish4  |  April 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

72. chicagodad~ITA w/you! Can’t wait until we get an elected bd of ed!

• 81. dariaclone  |  April 18, 2012 at 4:01 pm

@jill: i am a community member future parent), so was just looking at the website. I read the statements but didn’t write anything down and didnt notice the notice that they would come down on the 17th unfortunately.

• 82. chicagodad  |  April 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm

@78 When it comes to schools like Bell (where I voted earlier today!) and other options/RGC’s the LSC candidates are an embarrassment of riches. It’s pretty hard to go wrong. I think the statements may still be available to view on request, but don’t quote me on that. I continue to be amazed at the caliber of people who step up to serve in schools like that.

• 83. Dariaclone  |  April 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Thanks @ chicagodad and @Jillwohl.

• 84. Anne Lokken  |  April 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I’m running for Bell’s LSC…. Unfortunately, I’m running to/from two different baseball practices right now, so I don’t have the ability to post a link to my candidate statement. But in a nutshell, I have a 4th grader in the Options program, a 2nd grader in the Neighborhood program, and a future Kindergartener. Professionally, I worked for 12 years as a school lawyer. I’d appreciate your consideration…. Thanks!

• 85. Adenia Linker  |  April 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I’m running for Lane Tech, please feel free to circulate my candidate statement. http://linkerlistening.blogspot.com/

• 86. Mayfair Dad  |  April 19, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I’m in. Thanks to everyone who cast a vote at D2. During my hiatus, I missed the sense of purpose and camraderie of LSC work, now I’m ready to get crackin!

• 87. HS Mom  |  April 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Mayfair Dad – Congratulations! Can’t think of a better person for the job. Thank you for all that you contribute.

• 88. linafritzforlsc  |  April 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm

We’re in, too!

Here is the rundown:

153 people voted, 81community, 72 parents
    12 votes were rejected as defective for not filling out the form correctly

Lina Fritz – 96 votes
    Tom McDougal – 78 votes
    Camille Hamilton-Doyle – 73 votes
    Roxanne Brown – 36 votes

This was AMAZING!! Typically, in elementary school elections, the winning candidate wins with a grand total of about 20 votes. For candidates to have received over 70 votes is really out of the ordinary. Tom and I are going to work hard to transform this school into a highly excellent option for the neighborhood.

• 89. LSC  |  April 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I am happy to report that Beaubien LSC has 4 new members!

• 90. mom007  |  April 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Happy to report Wildwood LSC looks better than it has in years. The bulldozer is finally gone.

• 91. Bummer  |  April 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

The results are starting to be released on the Welles Park Bulldog site. It’s disappointing that the majority of the McPherson LSC is still the same people that have kept the school incredibly mediocre. I was really hoping to see some fresh folks with some new ideas and the chance of a new principal. Maybe in another 2 years….

• 92. cpsobsessed  |  April 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Sorry to hear that about mcpherson – my new neighborhood school.

Anecdotely I hear good things about it at a micro level. Just seems they miss the mark strategically.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 93. momof2  |  April 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Anyone know the results for Chappell?

• 94. Lana  |  April 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Other than people posting on various forums, is there a place to find out results of the LSC elections? Especially, if you are located in the no man’s land that is the Northwest side.

• 95. Peter  |  April 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Waters had over 380 people vote and the new slate won!

• 96. LR  |  April 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

@89: Do we know who won at Beaubien?

• 97. falconergrad  |  April 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Our school’s (Portage Park ES) results were posted on outside doors. My husband didn’t win (he got a call last night) but we will continue to attend LSC meetings. We have two new parent members. One spot had been unfilled. If anyone needs to know who won, lmk and I will post the names.

• 98. SR  |  April 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

94 – I had to call the school office to find out the results at Stockton. (They were posted in the school.) I didn’t win either, but will also continue to be active in my kids’ schools and as a community member.

• 99. Christine  |  April 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Peirce School results:

Parent reps:
    Maria Rodriguez
    Marco Rodriguez
    Lupe Garcia
    Beth Tenney
    Jeff Korte
    Tony Chavez

Community reps:
    Rebecca Eden Eichenlaub
    Ed Taylor

I do not know how many people voted, etc.

• 100. An LSC candidate  |  April 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Does anyone know how to CONTEST election results? I have the form and wonder if it will even matter. Our school had 325 ballots cast and 30 (10 percent) were thrown out for being improperly marked. One of the poll watchers saw the stack and said they contained checkmarks, not Xs, but the intent was clearly there for each candidate. One of our parent spots was a three-vote difference! The election judge was actually SLEEPING during the voting process and half the parents said they were not told to use an X and the signs showing proper ballot markings were not visible (they were to the backs of the people voting).

For contrast, went to Lincoln Park High School today and the signs were posted on the table where you voted and the election judges were telling people no less than three times to make sure to use an X.

Al Gore and the Supreme Court defined voting intent back in 2000. Does anyone think there is a leg to stand on here?

• 101. junior  |  April 19, 2012 at 9:21 pm

@100
    You not only need to show that errors occurred, but you also have to show that the errors probably changed the outcome of the election.

• 102. chicagodad  |  April 19, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I just made X’s but I think the requirement is for 2 lines that touch or cross within the box, so a check mark within the box should not have been discarded if I am right in my recollection. In any event I would definitely check the rules and contest the election based on a sleeping judge, no visibly posted rules and clear intent of the marks being consistent from box to box on each individual ballot. Give the sleeping judge a giant dope slap for me if you get the chance. What a fool! Maybe we should just have to fill in the boxes the way our kids have to bubble in tests…………….

• 103. cpsobsessed  |  April 20, 2012 at 7:25 am

CSJ has the Chappell totals here. http://www.centersquarejournal.com/news/some-elem-schools-provide-lsc-results-but-not-all

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 104. Mayfair Dad  |  April 20, 2012 at 8:10 am

@ 100. If you feel that passionately about it – go for it. Its not like you will rack up thousands of dollars in legal fees, and at least you will sleep better at night knowing you tried. Sleeping judge, lack of signage and clear voter intent = a reasonable case.

Who was the politician in Alaska that won with write-in votes – court upheld if the voter’s intent was clear, the name did not have to be spelled 100% correctly, etc. Seems to me a check mark is as clear as an indication of intent as an (x).

• 105. a dad  |  April 20, 2012 at 9:50 am

We were specifically told NOT to use a check mark because it would make the ballot invalid. They stated it had to be two lines which intersected past each other like a “+” or an “x”. It was very clearly stated to us by the judge and at every voting booth.

• 106. curious1  |  April 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

I voted at Peirce and I didn’t notice any signs related to how to fill in the squares nor was I given any direction of how to fill it in, so I actually colored in the squares, no x’s or check marks. I’m guessing this means my vote didn’t count.

• 107. Harry&Jack's mom  |  April 20, 2012 at 10:34 am

The turnout at Beaubien’s LSC election was a record–432 ballots cast! Compared to about 220 in the 2010 election, that’s pretty amazing. We also had an impressive number of parent candidates–14.

The results:

Parents
    Michelle Baert (new)
    Norma Castrejon (new)
    David Gee (incumbent)
    Jon Heller (new)
    Sue Kawecki (incumbent)
    Sherry Siewerski (incumbent)

Community
    Kathleen Renkoziak (incumbent)
    Amy Serafin (new)

Congrats to all!

• 108. LR  |  April 20, 2012 at 11:20 am

@107: Thanks for the info. That’s encouraging. Looking forward to being a part of this community next year.

One thing I have to comment on…the school website was the first interaction I had with Beaubien, and I found it frustrating. First of all, LSC election info should have been front and center over the past few weeks. At Bell, candidate statements could be accessed with a mere click. Also, results were already posted Wednesday evening. By comparison, you go to Beaubien’s website and you get the feeling it is neglected. Also, a lot of the areas say “under construction.” Just wanted to say something public because I don’t know anyone at the school yet and I think they could make much better use of their website.

• 109. Harry&Jack's mom  |  April 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

@108–Thanks for your comment. One of the recent LSC winners (one of the new ones) works on the web site–it was neglected prior to her taking over and she has done an amazing job since then. She is very open to feedback, so I will share yours with her. I agree, it would have been nice to have the LSC info front and center. I have every hope that the school’s communication with families and the public will be more of a priority in the future.

• 110. chicagodad  |  April 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

@105, Thanks for the clarification! I wonder what the back story is on the rigid requirement for a type of mark and the fact that we only have 5 votes for 5+ candidates. Don’t feel like wasting my time asking CPS. Kudos to all who ran, whether you won or not, and to all those who voted as well.

• 111. KS  |  April 21, 2012 at 12:10 am

Thanks for this forum, CPSobsessed – it is so critical that there is a space for this type of dialogue. We are all in this effort together, so I am always so thankful to find others that are engaged and invested in our schools. I was a bit surprised by some of the comments about McPherson, my neighborhood school and one that my neighbors and friends are working to support on the journey from a good school to a great school. McPherson has some great resources thanks to strong leadership, involved parents and invested community members including the IB program, Chicago Bulls Fitness Center, new art room, new computers, new multi-media room, small classroom size. We can always use more community and parent volunteers!

• 112. Patrick Boylan  |  April 21, 2012 at 11:05 am

The Welles Park Bulldog has posted results for the schools it covered. There was a high turnout in a number of schools as you’ll see by the vote totals.

• 113. Christine  |  April 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm

@106 curious1

I also voted at Peirce and found the judges there to be sadly clueless. I also was not given any instruction about how to fill in the ballot form (other than being told “no more than five.”) I knew to make an X from what I read here and RYH.

• 114. CLB  |  April 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Wow. CPS said that some schools have 40% spoiled ballot rates. But they are not following the law; LSC elections are in fact exempt from the Election Code. See https://mayerlsc.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/x-marks-the-spot-not-the-election-autopsy-progresses/

• 115. chicagodad  |  April 24, 2012 at 5:30 pm

@CLB, #114 THANKYOU for the great link! I’m sending it to as many schools as I can!

• 116. cakepopmom  |  April 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

has anyone ever heard of the teachers voting on principal candidates? I always heard it’s the LSC who choose. a teacher told me LSC picked candidates and teachers voted. ???? any of the Principal Modules 7 & 8 never said teachers vote unless they are LSC members

• 117. CLB  |  April 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Never heard of that.

• 118. cpsobsessed  |  April 26, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Teachers can express a preference of vote among themselves but ultimately the 2 teacher candidates are the only teachers who can vote and can vote however they please.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile