Weekly Events week of 10/24 including Bucktown School Info

October 23, 2011 at 11:41 pm 13 comments

Bucktown School Fair – what a cool idea!

One important event happening this week reflects the effort of a parent to help parents in the Bucktown neighborhood learn about their school options.

Hi CPSObsessed,
My name is Steve Dillinger and I am chair the Education Committee of the Bucktown Community Organization (BCO).   As part of our yearly Education Forum we give a presentation that is meant to help parents understand how this whole CPS thing works.   In a nutshell we cover in one hour what would take the average parent twenty hours to learn on their own (and that’s a conservative estimate).   While we cover some High School material, the presentation is geared mainly toward parents with children entering Preschool or Kindergarten.
This will be our fourth year giving the presentation and we typically receive very positive feedback.   As we are a Community Organization we offer this presentation for free. I believe this would be of great value to many of your readers and would appreciate anything you can do to help us publicize it. Here are the details:
Bucktown Community Organization 2011 Education Forum
Pulaski International School
2230 W. McLean
Thursday, October 27th
7pm – 8pm  Elementary School Fair ( (Pulaski, Burr, Drummond, CICS Bucktown, St Marys))
8pm -9pm  CPS 101 -(Our presentation on CPS)
More information is available on our website www.bucktown.org.  People can also reach me via email:  steve@bucktown.org.
I’m sure if you have questions about the Bucktown schools and want to post them here, Steve can answer them for you…

The School Lunch Project: Fed Up with Lunch

You may have recently heard about a Chicago teacher who ate a year of school lunches and posted photos of them on a blog for the past year along with comments about the ups and downs of the food, the ingredients, aromas, and general oddities.  The horrific nature of the food built up quite a following (who knew people had such a fascination with nasty food?)  I haven’t given much attention to the school lunches since my son takes him lunch everyday, but I realized that if the lunches didn’t look so repulsive to him, he might actually consider buying one and I could be freed from lunch-packing.  She also has a new book out about her experience and ideas for how schools can improve on the meals that are served to kids at school.

Pierce School Tour

Pierce (in Andersonville) is a good choice to include on your list of 20 schools for the lottery list.  Pierce is big – 5 kindergarten classes – and has typically taken all applicants who want to attend.  So it’s nice to know you will likely has a sure bet if you don’t like your neighborhood school.  Parents have been getting involved there more and more over the past few years and I’ve heard good feedback on the place.
Helen C. Peirce School Prospective Parent Open House
Date: Tues. Nov. 8th
Time: 9:15 am
Location: 1423 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
Meet our principal, teacher and parents as we provide a presentation and a building tour.
RSVP to 773.534.2440

New High School ACT Scores are out Meeting with Brizard!

• 1. WK  |  October 24, 2011 at 8:19 am

Adding this event for Tuesday, 10/25:

West Garfield Park Townhall on Longer Day
    Raise Your Hand is partnering with the Progressive Action Coalition for Education to host a Town Hall Meeting on the Extended School Day on Tuesday, 10/25 in West Garfield Park. Come out and voice your opinions/concerns on this important topic. There will also be a representative from CPS and the CTU on the panel to answer questions. We hope to see you there. Please share this info with your schools (There is a pdf of a flyer attached to this page).

Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Place: Bethel Lutheran Church

Address: 130 N. Keeler, Chicago, IL 60524

Time: 6:30-8:30pm

Other Partners: The Lawndale Alliance, The Black Star Project, Austintalks.org

• 2. RMcD  |  October 24, 2011 at 8:53 am

I live in Andersonville, though not in Pierce district. A friend whose son just started kindergarten there told me that they’re at capacity as of this school year, and that the principal told her that this was the last class for whom they would be taking all who applied. Starting with the 2012-2013 school year, you’ll be taking your chances with the lottery and not necessarily getting in. Everyone I know there is very happy with the school, but if you live too far away or for some other reason wouldn’t consider it other than as an “automatic in,” it is no longer the safe bet it once was.

• 3. cpsobsessed  |  October 24, 2011 at 9:02 am

Ah, very good to know! Thanks for the update on Pierce. I was wondering how long they could keep taking 5 kindergarten classes!
    Do you know how many classes they’re taking for fall?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 4. Vlajos  |  October 24, 2011 at 9:42 am

Peirce is a good school and seems to be getting better each year with more parental involvement. We have three kids there and have no complaints.

• 5. Colleen  |  October 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm

*** Just wanted to post an added event for this week. Thanks!

Jonathan Burr Elementary will be offering 2 school tours this fall, Tuesday October 25th and Wednesday November 16th both 3:30-4:30pm.
    Burr School invites all interested to come and meet the staff, talk to parents of current students and tour the facilities.
    Burr is a small Pre-K- 8th grade World Language Magnet Cluster School located in Bucktown where students study the Japanese language and culture. Burr also offers drama from Lookingglass Theatre, Music from Pulsebeat and Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Dance from Chicago Dance Institute, Physical Education and afterschool care from the JCC.
    We have a very active parents group(Friends of Burr) and the school has a great sense of community. Come and check us out!

• 6. wandrerr  |  October 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I second the comments about Peirce. I have a child in K at Peirce. Actually, I was told for the first time ever that Peirce had a waiting list this past application period. I don’t know if they filtered completely down that list over the summer or not. I just know I bumped into a couple parents that said their child did not get in, that was early-mid summer so I’m not sure if things changed later. I have not heard how many Kindergartens they plan to offer in the 2012-2013 school year yet. Probably unknown at this point due to budget.

• 7. curious  |  October 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Regarding Peirce, it looks like they dropped from a Level 1 to a Level 2 school this past year (just barely avoiding a slip down to Level 3). Does anyone have any additional information about this or insight into how that happened and what it might mean for the future?

• 8. anonymous  |  October 26, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I am not a Peirce parent, nor would I send my kids there (personal reasons), but I wouldn’t pay very much attention to those Level ratings. They gave my kids’ school, which has well over 50% exceeding standards and 95% meeting a Level 1 rating, and then also gave our neighborhood school, with less than 60% meeting and less than 10% exceeding the same level 1 rating. However they decide on the rating, it doesn’t have much to do with performance.

• 9. wandrerr  |  October 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Curious, I’m curious where you read that? The sheet I looked at on CPS had Peirce listed as a Level 1.

Thx.

• 10. curious  |  October 27, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Wandrerr, here’s a link:

If the link doesn’t work, go to http://www.cps.edu, find Peirce, then click on the “scorecard” portion. You can get the details by clicking on the Performance Policy Report at the bottom of the page. From what I can tell, it looks like it was their “Value Added” scores that did them in. What worries me is that those schools are supposed to reflect the degree to which the school impacts the students’ learning.

• 11. curious  |  October 27, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Oops, that’s “scores” not “schools”

• 12. curious  |  October 29, 2011 at 7:27 am

wanderr, I posted a link to the cps website where I found the info on Peirce but for some reason it didn’t show up. However, if you go to the CPS website, go to “find a school,” enter Peirce, and go to the scorecard section on Peirce’s page, you will find it. Also, if you go to the bottom of the scorecard page, you can download the Performance Policy Report for more details.

• 13. Lindblom Principal  |  October 31, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Just a reminder: Lindblom’s Open House for prospective students is this Saturday, November 5. Those interested in exploring ninth grade options, our Open House for you is from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm. If you’re looking for a great Academic Center option, that Open House is from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm.

Parking is available in our lots on the Northeast and Southwest corners of Damen and 62nd Street!

We’d love to see you!