Events and Info week of 10/10/11 (and beyond….)

October 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm 27 comments

I’m going to try to get to Lake View for a bit tomorrow evening to see what’s going on.

A friend of mine from the private school world has a daughter in 7th grade and she mentioned that they’re touring Jone this weekend.  Do people usually start that process in 7th?  I guess it makes sense to start.  It just reminds me of the craziness of taking a 7th grade (and younger siblings, and possibly my son who they’ll be watching) to see all the schools in the hopes that the child will test into one of them.  And really, unless you ace all the measures, is there really much of a choice?

Maybe letting the kids see the schools is a good motivator for the testing process and 7th grade grades?

Feel free to post any other events in the comments section.

LVHS: Meet the New Principal, Dr. Lilith Werner
Tuesday, October 11th at 6pm at Lake View High School

Parents are invited to meet the new Lake View High School principal, Dr. Lilith Werner, on Tuesday, October 11th at 6pm.

2011 High School Fair at Audubon
Hosted by Bell, Coonley and Hamilton Schools- save the date. November 9th, 6-8 pm

29 schools will be there – public, private, and charter

Several CPS Gifted School open houses this week:

NPN PreSchool and Elementary School Fair
**I will be sitting at a table at the NPN along with Christine Whitely who runs the ABCs of CPS workshops.  If you’re there, come say hi!**  Togther the 2 of us should be able to answer any CPS-related question!

• WHEN: Sat. Oct. 15, 2011, 10am-2pm, Parents RSVP for 1hour time slots to help us manage attendance
  • WHAT: NPN brings together more than 130 exhibitors to give our NPN member families unparalleled access to representatives of public and private schools, enrichment programs, family friendly businesses, and nonprofits. Each year, nearly 1,000 parents turn to NPN to help them navigate Chicago school search by attending this event.
  • WHO: NPN Members/Adults only Event. Free admission. RSVP is required.  Parent RSVP will open in September.
  • WHERE: Grossinger City Autoplex, 1561 N. Fremont (autoplex? what the? odd location for a fair, but sounds interesting….)

Find a School – Awesome Map! CPS and CTU need a time out

• 1. Christine  |  October 11, 2011 at 8:14 am

It’s not on the Options calendar but there is also an Open House at Oscar Mayer this week. Thursday, October 13th at 10:00am. I am not sure whether or not they allow you to bring your children along.

• 2. Mayfair Dad  |  October 11, 2011 at 8:33 am

I encourage parents of 7th graders to start the process early. The SEHSs have a tendency to book their open houses on the same day – a bit of gamesmanship to make sure if you are at Whitney Young for a tour it will be difficult to head north to see Northside on the same day. By splitting the tours over two years, you will see more schools. Plus it gives you an opportunity to drive home the importance of 7th grade final grades with your student.

• 3. dontpanic  |  October 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

I too agree to start the process of looking at schools in 7th grade. My son is in 8th grade now but we looked last year and he loved Walter Payton. Being in Tier 4, we really knew to make sure he received straight A’s in the core subjects in 7th grade to ever have a shot at Payton.

• 4. mom  |  October 11, 2011 at 11:29 am

It was really hard to make all of the open houses. We could not make Lane’s open house in 8th grade so I was glad we went in 7th.

• 5. HSObsessed  |  October 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm

At Lincoln, parents and students are encouraged to start planning for HS when the students are in 7th grade, if nothing else, like others said, to reinforce the importance of 7th grade ISATs and final grades. I attended an event at the school in which private and public high school reps spoke for a few minutes each, and the SEHS seemed pretty proud of the fact that up to 7,000 people wait in line for hours to get a tour of their school during the open house. Given that there are as few as 180 seats available, this seems twisted. In the mean time, high schools like British School, St. Ben’s and Holy Trinity are actively seeking students to grow their tiny enrollments, so it seems like pretty much open enrollment for anyone who can pay the tuition.

• 6. Mom of 4  |  October 11, 2011 at 6:29 pm

As the others have said, it’s a good idea to start looking at high schools in 7th grade, especially if this is your first child. You need time to mentally process the options, pros, cons, differences, etc. Maybe one of the schools will have something you weren’t aware of that totally interests your kid. Or maybe your top choice isn’t as enticing once you’ve seen it. Then you have time to think about it for another year and ask further questions.

• 7. mumof2  |  October 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I would definitely suggest looking at high schools whilst your children are still in the 7th grade. I currently have one child in the 10th grade and one in the 9th grade, and I have to admit I am enjoying not having to go throught the process again. Starting the process early allows you to really look at the schools and all the options available to you, not just CPS school but also catholic and private schools. Neither of my children ended up in the schools that we thought they would go to when we first started the process. Starting early did help focus my children on the importance of 7th grade, but I would like to give a word of warning be very careful not to stress your child with the process. I always tried to tell my children it is not where you go, but what you do with where you go.

• 8. RUMC Mom  |  October 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

@#7 I totally agree with beginning the high school process as early as the 7th grade. I did it years ago with my oldest because I wanted to get ahead of the highly competitive high school placement game, and it worked in our favor. It was not the goal, but he was offered a slot at a great school as an 8th grader, then automatically transitioned into their high school.

• 9. ExCPSmomba  |  October 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Absolutely start the tours in 7th grade (we toured several in 6th. Since many of the schools hold open houses on the same day, it is very hard to get around the city and the waiting lines at some (Jones, Lane) are super long and last for hours. Since you cannot “shadow” at CPS schools, this is your only view inside.

• 10. out of the loop  |  October 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm

When do we get our childrens ISAT test results from last spring?

• 11. cpsobsessed  |  October 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm

#10, a couple people on Facebook told me you should have ISAT scores by now. One had gotten them mailed home last week. I’d inquire at the school (although I don’t know if they actually handle the test scores – that may be centrally located, but *maybe* they’ll know…)

• 12. Curious  |  October 13, 2011 at 10:47 am

Westinghouse College Prep, will be having their Open House on Saturday,October 22,2011 from 11.00am -2.00pm & Wednesday, November 9,2011 from 5.30pm – 7.30pm http://www.newwestinghouse.org

• 13. Chicago Gawker-  |  October 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Mayfair Dad, and others thanks for sharing your wisdom about looking early, and for not abandoning those of us who are still in the process just bcs. your kids are IN somewhere. You all calm down my occasional freak outs about I have to move to the suburbs Keep posting.

• 14. anonymous  |  October 13, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I say, let’s make it all exactly even.
    CPS teachers get the same length of day and year as the suburbs for NO raise. And we get the same small class sizes. 20 in primary, 25 in 3rd and up, like the great majority of suburbs. No more of this 38 in a classroom BS. Teachers and students get at least a 50 minute lunch/recess combo, duty free. Recess required. Mandatory 50 minute prep period every single day. More sped help, more TA’s, more reading teachers and psychologists. More parent help/involvement. More music, art, PE, language, like most suburbs have. Teachers get several hundred dollars a year in supply reimbursement for individuals and or grade level teams. Parents bring in all supplies requested. Oh, and tell the idiots who keep shooting at or near our students and screwing them all up emotionally for life they may not do that anymore.
    When everything is equal on that end, I say it is reasonable to request more work for no more pay. Completely reasonable.
    Course, I think cops who work in Englewood should be paid double what cops in Lincoln Park are paid.
    Suburbs vs. CPS right now? Apples and Oranges baby.

• 15. anonymous  |  October 18, 2011 at 6:11 am

I hope everyone with children in 3rd grade and up in CPS realize in the next week or so their children are taking yet another mandated standardized test. For common core. You know, the one that staff was told about for the first time back in the beginning of September. “We’ll send you dates. Oh, wait, no, we are changing the dates. No, wait, you’ll get a test prep copy to get an idea of what the test looks like” Such copy never arrived. “Oh btw, testing MUST start today, on the computer, even though half the codes are wrong for one grade level. Forget whatever you were supposed to be teaching for the day. Inform parents? No, this is just being used for informational purposes, not accountability.” Which is code for, “we want to see just how badly cps kids will do on this last minute, ill-prepared test, which will be given a few times a year, so we can spin it for our political purposes in the future.”
    Unbelievable.
    Each school will say, “oh, it is no big deal, just a screening, we have it planned out” but behind the scenes, there is major scramble, principals who are not sleeping at night because they keep getting last minute updates, sometimes of 50 pages in length, and the board gives us NO time to plan. None. Think this kind of ineptitude and stress doesn’t rub off on kids? Think again.

• 16. tara jones  |  October 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Unbelievable! Truly! I just moved to chicago this year i registered my daughter in school and she has been on a waiting list and i never recieved a call back they have u bring all these documents and the child is still not in school leaerning anything .We live right across rthe street from the school and its ashame my child cant attend BUT a recording call my house everyday as a reminder that she is not in school yet.I should of just stayed in the suburbs and i bet any money she would of been in school .

• 17. IB&RGC Mom  |  October 18, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I started the process of going to the open houses this year (7th) and while I know how sought after these schools are, I didn’t have any idea how crazy the lines would be for the open housesn (duh). It was very eye opening. I had gone to open houses at Lane and Whitney for the AC and I am glad I did because even though the focus was on the AC I got to see the school and learn about it in 6th and there were no where near the number of people at the high school open houses. I went this weekend to Jones and Whitney and while Whitney’s open house was much more organized I was surprisingly impressed by Jones. Partly because I already know (and really like) what Whitney has to offer and the other part may be that I really didn’t know much about Jones at all. Any opinions on these schools and others would be appreciated. I still want to visit Payton and Northside even though chance of my dd getting in are slim to none living in tier 4. I have heard a lot of great things about Lane so I am happy that may be a possibility (hopefully) and not to far from home.

For you HS parents, how much homework are kids at WY, Jones, Peyton, NS, Lane, and Lincoln Park IB or Double Honors doing a night? Are the kids happy? Do they enjoy the extra curricular activities their school has to offer? How is the quality of their education? Any advise you have on these schools would be helpful as I trust your opinions.

@7 Thank you for the comment “I always tried to tell my children it is not where you go, but what you do with where you go.”

I have to remind myself of this because 7th grade is so stressful. DD was doing great with all A’s and a couple B’s just a percentage point away from an A, until today where she didn’t do well on a test in one of the core classes. Hopefully she can pull her grade back up and this is a good early lesson on how good study habits are absolutely necessary. If not we are in trouble. Last year she pulled off all A’s in the core subjects (and in almost everything else) so I know she can do it, but just has to focus.

• 18. cpsobsessed  |  October 18, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I don’t get the part about the line going around the block. Do people have to sign in one by one? It seems like another goofy part of the application process.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 19. cpsobsessed  |  October 18, 2011 at 11:31 pm

And by “goofy” I mean “sadistic.”

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 20. CPSDepressed  |  October 19, 2011 at 7:58 am

Tara, your neighborhood school has to take you. Call central office. I’m guessing that’s not the school that you are on the wait list for, though, is it?

• 21. cps Mom  |  October 19, 2011 at 8:38 am

@17 – I am a Jones parent. Hope you enjoyed the open house. FYI – 18 “around the block” literally means that. At Jones, people are let in in groups of 450 so the line does move but it is long – and worth it. This is the only opportunity that you will have to really get a feel for the school and all that it has to offer. Jones has a very tight knit group of kids, parents and teachers/admin. The curriculum is challenging (all honors level classes, AP as an option for all starting Sophomore year). The teachers are caring, enthusiastic and very available to the student. The kids are all great. They work together on projects and really include everyone. We have a diverse population from all over the city and a variety of schools so everyone feels welcome. The homework load – 2 to 3 hours per night (without AP). You can be as active in sports and clubs as you want to be, pending grades and time permitting.

Please feel free to ask any other questions.

• 22. cpsobsessed  |  October 19, 2011 at 8:55 am

Why can’t parents sign up for tour shifts ahead of time? Or even “last names A-Z at 10am etc. It sort of sounds like night clubs that want to say they have a long line outside.
    Or heck, sell tickets as a fundraiser. 🙂
    Thanks for posting!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 23. cps Mom  |  October 19, 2011 at 9:24 am

Good ideas – there are literally thousands of people at these events. It’s impossible to track with any number or letter system. People go in and out of line for various reasons etc. We may try to streamline with a color system but this will not alleviate the need to stand in line because people need to keep moving through. I like the fundraiser idea – “VIP” instant access. But, we cannot have preference at a public school for paid vs. others.

On the plus side – Jones is downtown, plenty of Starbucks/Jamba juice options. Students and parents are available to talk to and interestingly you get to speak to others in line about schools and experiences.

• 24. cps Mom  |  October 19, 2011 at 9:31 am

One thing I forgot to mention – whenever possible take public transportation to these open houses. You don’t want to be stuck feeding a meter if you can find a parking space.

• 25. IB&RGC Mom  |  October 19, 2011 at 10:25 am

Thanks for the feedback cps Mom! I do wish I had taken the train as I parked at a meter with a 3 hour limit and was hustling to it after the open house hoping I didn’t get a ticket since time went slightly over that.

I think the little I knew before attending was based on your posts previously from what I remember. I was impressed by the principle, the students, etc. And a big plus is the new building should be open by the time my dd starts (hopefully). I really don’t want to get ahead of myself with any of these SE schools at this point because who knows what 7th will bring.

• 26. Downtown Dad  |  October 19, 2011 at 11:30 am

Why wouldn’t the schools just make a video tour people could take? Would be a cool project for a class to take on.

• 27. IB&RGC Mom  |  October 19, 2011 at 11:47 am

@26 That is a great idea!