Weekly Events and Announcements w/o 9/12

September 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm 14 comments

I think I’ll start a weekly announcements post where we can post stuff that is going on during the week.

Also, if you have some event or other stuff you’d like people to know about (I know someone emailed me about a blog they started recently….) feel free to add that to the comments section so people can see what’s going on out there.

The union debate is wearing me down.  I think I’ll post that article about the freshmen grades for the different schools.  I know people wanted to discuss that and I never got it up.  Lots of interesting stuff there.  If you have any ideas for other topics for discussion, feel free to share.

Open House – Beasley Academic Center (Regional Gifted Center)
Date: 9/13/2011
Time: 8:15 AM – 10:15 AM
Location: 5255 South State Street

Chicago Tribe/PNC Bank Event with Brizard and Karen Lewis
Date: Tuesday, Sept. 13, 6 p.m.
Location: UIC Forum 725 W. Roosevelt Road

Quest Chicago (Charter School) Open House
Date: Tuesday, Sept 13 6-7 pm.  Spots still open for this school year.

School Tour – Hamilton Elementary School (Fine and Performing Arts) (K – 8th)
Date: 9/14/2011
Time: 8:30 AM
Location: 1650 West Cornelia Avenue

Open House – Gompers Elementary School (Fine and Performing Arts) (4 – 8th)
Date: 9/14/2011
Time: 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Location: 12302 South State Street

Take the Raise Your Hand survey about the extended school day:

STEM Magnet School Year 2011/2012 Weekly Announcements and Events w/o 9/26

• 1. North Center Mom  |  September 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Once again, “Raise Your Hand” requires survey participants to be CPS parents. There are plenty of us out here with kids in private school who want to be CPS parents, live in Chicago, pay property taxes, whose voices should be heard.

• 2. HSObsessed  |  September 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I’ve designed a few limited surveys in connection with work, and I know they can get complicated/tricky when working out the logic. Also, I know you can’t cover every scenario that applies to each survey-taker.

However, I do want to let RYH/Wendy know that I tried to take the RYH survey as well, but it wouldn’t accept my finished product because certain fields related to “how the extra time should be used” are required answers. Since I don’t feel the day should be longer, I don’t have opinions as to how any theoretical extra time should be used. Therefore, my survey won’t be accepted. Just wanted to let you know, in case you want to tweak this.

• 3. Adele  |  September 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

If you want to discuss your opinion regarding the longer day in person, here is an opportunity. Or you might ask your alderman or state representative to hold a similar meeting.

Meeting on Longer School Days in Chicago Public Schools

Wednesday, September 14, at 6:30 p.m
    Agassiz School
    2851 N. Seminary

This meeting is being held to discuss the proposals to increase the length of school days in Chicago Public Schools. The meeting will be attended by the Local School Council, CPS representatives, Alderman Tunney and teachers’ union representatives and is open to the public.

• 4. HSObsessed  |  September 14, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Another opportunity to meet the new Lake View High School principal, pasted from State Rep Sara Feigenholtz’ newsletter:

Lake View High School, Meet and Greet with New Principal
    Tuesday, October 11
    6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
    Lake View High School, 4015 N. Ashland

Join the Lake View community in welcoming and meeting new Lake View High School principal Dr. Lilith Werner. Opening remarks start at 6:00 p.m. with an art opening and mingling afterward. Live music will be provided by the by the LVHS jazz band and refreshments and snacks will be served. To RSVP, contact Donna Chen at dchen@cps.edu or 773.534.5599.

• 5. WendyK  |  September 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Thank you HSObsessed. We did receive that feedback but it was after a few hundred people took the survey and we didn’t think we should change the survey after people had taken it. Many people answered no about the day increasing and then filled out 1s for all the answers. Wish we had known you couldn’t submit it that way.

• 6. LindblomPrincipal  |  September 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I know I’m not posting a great deal, but I did want to offer–again–a special invitation for the CPSObsessed community to visit Lindblom. Our open house is November 5, but I would be happy to take the perpetually posting parents on a tour through the school on a day when school is in session. If it helps, I’ll give everyone nametags that say “anonymous” 😉

I would recommend getting out to all schools and not limiting yourselves. When I worked at Northside Prep, there were students who traveled from south of 90th. We have had students at Lindblom who have traveled as far as half a block south of Howard.

Give me a date. I’d love to show you around!

Alan (Principal of Lindblom)

• 7. Pat  |  September 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Okay, I have the entire set of The Critical Thinking Company’s test prep books for 3rd grade & up…..dc got into Edison. Please give my e-mail to interested families.

• 8. Pat  |  September 16, 2011 at 6:40 pm

My cost was 225.

• 9. Christine  |  September 17, 2011 at 8:16 am

I embedded an events calendar on my website and am working on filling all the open houses, etc. I’ll add these events, too!

• 10. Mayfair Dad  |  September 18, 2011 at 11:05 am

@ 6. I like your style. I keep hearing good things about Lindblom.

• 11. Alan Mather  |  September 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Thanks, Mayfair Dad,
    I have had one parent write to take me up on the offer. I’d love to see more. My suggestion is to come down on September 23. Most schools are out, but those of us on Track E are in session. Thus, you can your child can come down and tour the school, visit classes, while school is going on.

If you’re interested, I’ll give you the information for Isaias Herrera, our admissions person. You can reach me at awmather@cps.k12.il.us.

Alan

• 12. Christine  |  September 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Skinner North Classical School is having an Open House this week on Weds, Sept. 21st at 1:00pm. I don’t think its on the OAE calendar.

• 13. CPSDepressed  |  October 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

If you are the parent of a 7th or 8th grader on the North Side, you may be able to discuss your high school angst and make some money. A friend passed along this invitation to a focus group. I’m not sure who the sponsor it:

Thank you to everyone who has agreed to participate in the below junior high parent study on education, and/or forwarded this email to others who have agreed to participate. With your help, many of the focus group sessions are filling up. However, there are still some spots available for parent’s of 7th and 8th grade students who attend elementary school on Chicago’s North Side. This is a PAID study ($125), the sessions are being held at 444 North Michigan Ave., and the topic is North Side high school education. These are 1 1/2 sessions, but plan on 2 hours time.

The following day/times still have open spots:

Oct 3 (tomorrow) Monday – 11:30am (4 spots)
    Oct 4 Tuesday – 9am (3 spots)
    Tuesday – 11:30am (2 spots)
    Tuesday – 5:30pm (7 spots)
    Tuesday – 7:30pm (8 spots)
    Oct 5 Wednesday – 11:30am (7 spots)

If you are interested, PLEASE CALL 312. 626. 2158 (Murray-Hill Center) x223 for Barb or x209 to speak with Melinda ASAP.
    If either of those two are unavailable, please ask to speak with Samantha.

• 14. Lynn  |  September 13, 2014 at 9:09 am

I called Hamilton School and they said there is not a tour on Sunday. They do their tours the third Wednesday of every month.