Meeting at Lake View High School tonight

May 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm 11 comments

Just got word there is a meeting at Lake View High School tonight that could be interesting for anyone with young kids in that district.  Not sure that I can make it, but I’ll follow up to see if I can find out what transpires.  Good to see that people are meeting and talking.  I have also found out that the school will be selecting a new principal soon, which could be vital in the invigoration efforts there.

Tuesday, May 17 at 7pm at Lake View High School: Hear from a panel including Alderman Tom Tunney and Alderman Scott Waguespack as they address ongoing plans to improve the academic and physical structure of Lake View High School. This meeting is open to the public. Parents with grade school-aged children are encouraged to attend.

Also, there is an LSC meeting is May 18th @ 5:30.

Entry filed under: High school, Uncategorized. Tags: , , .

Rahm’s Education Platform (Guest Post by HSObsessed) What do you think about a CPSObsessed message board?

• 1. Y  |  May 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Tonight’s forum is a part of the Annual Meeting program for the Lake View Citizens’ Council. All parents are welcome to attend. The viability of Lake View as an alternative to SEHS programs has been raised by many parents who are currently sending their kids to neighborhood schools in the area. Hopefully, the aldermen will have some concrete plans for improving the school.

• 2. a6thgrademom  |  May 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I am going to try really hard to attend this meeting. As the mom to a 6th grader who will not attend a SEHS I am looking at all possibilities other than our local high school.

Also, one of my daughter’s friends is going to Lakeview next year and is excited about it. Apparently they have an honors program and workshops have already started for the incoming class. This girl did get into SEHS, but turned down her round 1 selection, hoping for a round 2 offer that never matriculated.

• 3. Mom2  |  May 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I wish this had been better publicized. We are busy tonight or I would attend. I am encouraged. I hope many people will show up and voice their current concerns, their ideas and their support for improvements!

• 4. Anonymous  |  May 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I was at Michele Smith’s inaugural even last night and she spoke very few words … but several of the few words she spoke were about making Lincoln Park High School THE school of choice for kids in the district. I think it’s great that Lakeview and LPHS are on the minds of the aldermen. We need neighborhood high schools that can compete with the SEs (I know LPHS has a good proportion of IB/DH students) because all our children are not geniuses, but we hope they’re at least good kids with motivation to succeed — and have a great school to help them succeed even further.

• 5. cpsobsessed  |  May 18, 2011 at 2:04 am

I hear there was a very good turnout. Hope to get some info from a friend who attended….

• 6. Mom2  |  May 18, 2011 at 9:06 am

Looking forward to hearing all about it!

• 7. Lake View teacher  |  May 18, 2011 at 9:44 am

It would have been helpful, not to mention respectful, if the LVCC had informed Lake View teachers and staff about this meeting. Many of us are invested in the school’s future, but we heard about it at the Eleventh Hour, and many of us were not able to attend.

• 8. a6thgrademom  |  May 20, 2011 at 10:01 am

It turns out I wasn’t able to attend as I worked late that night.

I’m looking forward to hearing about it the meeting though !

• 9. Mom2  |  May 23, 2011 at 11:02 am

So, did anyone here attend or know someone that did? I’d love to hear about it.

• 10. Anonymous  |  June 1, 2011 at 10:28 am

Lakeview article in the Chicago Trib

• 11. HSObsessed  |  June 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm

That’s great for Lake View High School to get this coverage by the Tribune. Hopefully it will get some people to start considering it. Don’t forget to “Like” North Side High School Initiative on Facebook if you’d like to receive notice of events related to improving Lake View HS. There is a forum on June 6 in which three candidates for principal will be introduced.

But more thoughts on the article:

“the school doesn’t have the money to provide necessary safety equipment like eye flushes and goggles”

That’s pretty sad, if it’s true. It’s one thing to have four students dissecting a pig instead of two (I would have preferred more, personally), but not having $3 safety goggles for everyone? That STEM funding cannot come soon enough.

“ ‘The average ACT score at Lake View is about a 20, which is “in line” with schools like Lane Tech College Prep High School,’ [Assistant Principal Carol Eggert] said.”

While 20 is respectable average score for a high school with high numbers of students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, I think Ms. Eggert is stretching it a little to say that it’s “in line” with Lane Tech. The last results officially published by CPS show Lake View’s average ACT score was at 18.2 and Lane’s at 22.9. A difference of 4.7 points in this context is pretty significant. I’d love to see the newest numbers for all the high schools.