New Options for Knowledge Programs opening in Fall (apply by April 15)

March 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm 12 comments

I happened upon some info on cpsmagnet.org about 3 new options for this Fall with the application period running from March 1 – April 15th.

Fine Arts Magnet Program at Senn High SchoolRequires an audition and portfolio submission which is kind of cool for pulling together kids with talent. Of course you’ve still got your academics with the rest of Senn, a neighborhood high school, which may or may not offer academic challenge. I haven’t looked at any info yet. But it seems like a cool opportunity.

South Shore International College Preparatory High SchoolNew facility? Cool. This school will be half IB and half career prep in the fields of computers and health care. It doesn’t say how admission is determined.

STEM Magnet Academy (Elementary)STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. I believe this is the program that is going to be added at Lakeview HS too. 1522 W. Fillmore Street, in the building formerly occupied by Jefferson Elementary School. Admission is lottery-based.

Here’s the info:

So it’s clear that CPS is open to adding new schools (or was under Huberman — I assume these are the fruits of his labor.)

In other news, I’ve gotten in touch with the woman who will lead the team opening the Quest charter school (aka video game school) so I hope to learn more about their plans. She said her husband had found my blog last year when they were researching Kindergarten in the city. She has experience with both regular public and charter schools, so it should be an interesting conversation.

Again, info on that school is here (or a place to sign up for more info.)

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , .

SE High School Scores – This year vs. last year 2011 High School Principal Discretion Period Now Open 2011

• 1. Grace  |  March 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Wonderful news. I hope you have emailed this to “person,” and s/he knows what the next steps should be.

• 2. Sheila  |  March 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I think these new school options will be great! I am really interested in the new game-based charter school. My friend applied to the school for her son. She said she is tired of paying tuition at a lutheran school on Belmont. I wonder how academics will be taught in this environment. Nevertheless, I think the school will motivated students and sound like fun, too!

In reagrds to the new magnet school, housed in Jefferson Elem bldg, when will the school open? And how many grades are they acepting applications for. I have a first grader and is interested in that school.

I think Senn High School new Fine Arts program is a good program for kids interested in the Arts. Not eeryone will be admitted to ChiArts or Lincoln Park’s Performing Art program. This program might bea good one in the coming years.

I am also excited about South Shore Intl H.S IB &Career Program. The new building and academically challenging IB Program will surely give more gifted students an opportunity to thrive in a fast paced environment . It will also prepare them for college.

I think these are all great options for kids in the City! I welcome more interesting schools that will prepare kids for college and life.

• 3. magnet parent  |  March 3, 2011 at 10:14 pm

The STEM school was finalized recently long after Huberman left.It was originally the site for the Jackson expansion proposal. Does anyone have any idea about the style of curriculum the STEM programs promote. A friend whose mom has a new STEM masters degree in elementary uses some really innovative and very hands on techniques with her kids. If they use any of the neat things she does it might be a really neat option.
    I wish they were starting at 5th grade.

• 4. tk  |  March 4, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’m very interested to hear more about ChicagoQuest. We submitted an application for our son, and he is extremely excited about it. The wait to hear whether or not he got in is driving him a little crazy though (which in turn makes me a little crazy).

Also interested in the program at Senn. Very pleased to see that they plan to include dance eventually. Dance is my daughter’s passion and I would love to see more options for her when she’s HS age.

• 5. Grace  |  March 4, 2011 at 10:59 am

@3 I would love to know more about the STEM curriculum. Any suggestions of where to begin? Where did you r friend get her degree?

• 6. magnet parent  |  March 4, 2011 at 11:13 am

Hi- our neighbor downstairs has a really fun mom who just got her STEM masters at Northern Illinois U. She teaches at the edge of the western suburbs. She’s been teaching for like twenty years. I guess her fellow teachers don’t love her new ideas- i.e. making kites to learn geometry, physics etc but she is very excited. I’m not sure what is his’s mom or the philosophy and I haven’t had a chance to talk to her.
    I’m sure that how innovative and hands on they will be at STEM depends on the principal and staff they hire- and eventually the parents who go there. Wonder when they will have an LSC??

• 7. Christine  |  March 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I am very excited about the Arts Program at Senn. It’s our high school and I really hadn’t considered it for high school AT ALL. Of course, my oldest is only in Kindergarten so things can change between now and then. Hopefully it will be a viable option by then.

• 8. School Dad  |  March 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Do anyone know if they are planning on opening any more STEM schools in Chicago??? I think it is a great idea and could engage students more. Maybe they could have a STEM school on the North Side, South Side & East Side of Chicago and make them all magnet schools. I think the program will be good for the City.

@Christine, I think the Arts magnet program will definitely become one of the top Arts magnet programs in Chicago. Plus Senn offers the IB program for gifted or motivated students. My belief is that Senn will become a top school in a few more years.

@tk, I also find the ChicagoQuest school to be extremely interested. I have found out that there will be two Quest schools in Chicago. The first one will be on the near northside(the one you applied to) and the second one will be on the southside (it will open in the 2012-2013 school year). The first Quest school will be offerring FIVE foreign languages including; Spanish, French, Madarin Chinese, Latin and German.

• 9. School Dad  |  March 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm

@Grace, also some other universities, besides Northern Illinois Univ, that offer the STEM degree (master level) are: Illinois State University (Bloomington, IL), U of I (Urbana-Champaign, IL) and IIT (Chicago).

I am sure more schools in the Chicago area will start to offer the degrees at both the, undergrad and graduate level, as the curriculum becomes more in demand and grows to other schools.

• 10. Hawthorne mom  |  March 5, 2011 at 8:05 am

Until Senn HS gets rid of its serious gang population it will never be a school where anyone will go who can go elsewhere. The school has a good principal who is getting rid of their “achievement academy” (for kids who have aged out of 8th grade at 15 but can’t pass to HS) and has made some other changes…..but right now, literally noone who has any other choice in the neighborhood sends their kids there. I personally don’t think it will become a “high school of choice” anytime soon unless it becomes a completely selective high school.

• 11. School Dad  |  March 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm

@Hawthorne mom, given time and the right principal, any school can change. I am sure that there are some parents that are interested in the new arts magnet and IB program at Senn. Not every kid that attend a school,that isn’t a SE, is a bad kid or not as smart. We will see what will happen with Senn in the future. I have lived in Chicago all of my life and I have seen schools that were excellent schools and are now not as good. I have also seen schools that weren’t even a choice school in the past that are now top schools. So, anything can happen with the right programs, kids, administration, etc.

• 12. Maureen  |  March 12, 2011 at 9:00 am

Does anyone know anything more about the STEM Academy than what is printed on the OAE site? It is very close to us and my daughter will be in 2nd grade in the fall. I filled out the application just so we will have another option, but I am curious to learn more. Does anyone know if there is a world language planned (which one)?