Jerk.

November 4, 2010 at 11:43 am 16 comments

Well, whether I agree with his ideas or not, I hate the Huberman is bailing early because he doesn’t want to work for another mayor.  That sounds petty/political/babyish to me.  Honestly, he cannot DEAL with a different boss who may not agree with his way of doing things?  That’s what I hate about mixing politics and education.

I thought this was a good point in the article that summed up the pros and cons of Hubey:

Barbara Radner, director of the Center for Urban Education at DePaul University, said Huberman’s performance management system, which attaches metrics to everything from transportation to teaching, brought needed efficiencies to the district headquarters during an economic meltdown.

But she also believes his data-driven approach may have been flawed for schools.

“I think, in retrospect, he was all about efficiency,” Radner said. “But that’s insufficient. The schools need to be effective, and efficiency is not the definition of effective.”

CPS Board Meeting this Week Magnet/Selective Enrollment Admission Changes

• 1. cps mom 5  |  November 4, 2010 at 11:49 am

How can you blame him for wanting to spend more time with his family?

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  November 4, 2010 at 11:58 am

I haven’t read anything alluding to that. If he is really intending to be a SAHD to his young child, I’m all for that. I’m skeptical he won’t be employed elsewhere soon, but if he wants some free time in between jobs, I think that’s cool too.

I just think that in certain work positions you take a little more responsiblity for not leaving people totally in the lurch. Yes, his family should come first, but given that CPS doesn’t even have a permanent 2nd in command right now, I (personally) feel he owes the city a little bit more than making an abrupt departure. Maybe he feels he’s got stuff in place and good people in place that he’s not really needed. I hope so.

• 3. Mayfair Dad  |  November 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Rod Estvan and others on District299 are suggesting Daley is furious with Huberman for announcing his imminent departure a few weeks ago and told him to pack up his things and scram. I suppose now that the school year has started and the AIOs are in place, things will run according to schedule. This hasty departure and the graceless way it has unfolded does lend credence to the Ron Loves Ron narrative. I hope Mayor Emanuel or Mayor Madigan are smart enough to appoint a nationally prominent EDUCATOR to take over the reigns of CPS, although I’ve heard rumors Geri Chico is coming back, in exchange for clearing the path for L. Madigan’s mayoral run.

• 4. RL Julia  |  November 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Rumor abound at the City about who will be interim – Terry Mazany? Mary Ellen Caron are the names I’ve heard. Of course, Huberman brough tons of people with him from CTA and the Budget Office, with the Mayor leaving, they now have four or five months to find new (high paying) jobs elsewhere before a new person is installed.

I personally have mixed feelings. Huberman’s talents were much better showcased/more effective as Chief of Staff and at the CTA than they were at CPS. He did some good things but in the end of it all, he wasn’t a good fit for the organization – and I never got the feeling his heart was in it.

Given his career trajectory over the past five years, he must be completely exhausted.

• 5. Mary  |  November 4, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Can’t america’s 3rd largest city attract Michelle Rhee?

• 6. anon  |  November 4, 2010 at 7:17 pm

We need a leader who retores some public confidence in the school system. Just when public confidence was being restored in CPS Huberman went and drove the bus off the cliff by publicly insulting teachers and claiming the system was literally and figuratively broke. We had our former CEO appointed Sec. of Ed. and that should have been promoted. Ron drove the school system into the ground (the bus metaphors could go on). The last person we need in CPS is another self promoting gloom and doomer like Michelle Rhee.

• 7. LaSalle II  |  November 4, 2010 at 7:44 pm

No to Rhee.. We had our version of this with Huberman and it was so disruptive. My daughter’s incredible 1st grade teacher was laid off and hired twice over the summer. It was enough to make your head spin! Finally in the last week she was hired at another school. This is no way to treat employees. NO more MEAT CLEAVER CEOs. NO MORE DOOMS DAY SCENARIOS!

• 8. RL Julia  |  November 5, 2010 at 9:58 am

So I guess we can take Jack Welch off the short list?

• 9. Mayfair Dad  |  November 5, 2010 at 10:12 am

And I suppose Al “Chainsaw” Dunlap is off the list, too 😉

Maybe it is time to try something a little different instead of imposing the GE Six Sigma approach to teaching our children. I agree with the Tribune article – Huberteam, Rhee, et al brought much needed efficiency to bloated educational bureaucracies, but in the end, efficiency isn’t the same thing as effective.

• 10. RL Julia  |  November 5, 2010 at 1:45 pm

NOT Al !! I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with a school uniform code (nevermind his opinions on Everyday Math).

• 11. anonymous  |  November 5, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me one actual efficiency brought to the system by Huberman? As a parent, I have seen nothing but disruption. Please don’t give me some general statement about “cutting back” because it looks like this PM was very bloated and did not trickle down very far and his way of arbitrarily and illegally reducing the workforce will unnecessarily cost taxpayers .

• 12. RL Julia  |  November 5, 2010 at 4:25 pm

While I can’t say that I actually liked Huberman at CPS (because I really didn’t), I can tell you what his typical MO is and what he did at the City of Chicago/CTA and CPS and the kind of efficiencies his methods produce. My personal opinion is that his particular way of looking at large systems (like the City of Chicago, CTA and CPS) while pretty effective at finding areas of inefficiency were particularly unsuited to CPS and education which is far more complex and qualitative an experience than simply making the trains run on time and/or the city fill potholes in a more effective manner.

Huberman is a huge fan of performance measures. He likes it even better if you can develop a performance measure that combines two or three measure to quantify a third. Everywhere he goes, and CPS was no exception, the different units are challenged to determine quantitative measurements of their output or performance, set monthly goals/benchmarks and are then held to reporting them. If you meet the benchmark you get a green if you go more than 5% outside of the benchmark either way -you get a yellow and more than 10% means red. If you are in the yellow or red zone, you need to explain why you are deviating from your original estimate. As simplistic as this seems, it is quite difficult to get large organizations to determine how they want to measure their performance and even harder to get them to report it out consistently and accurately (you also had to explain where these numbers you were generating were coming from). I don’t know what effeciencies were achieved – especially since it takes a good 24-30 months to even figure out what you are dealing with a such a large system but I am pretty certain this is how he attempted to do it and that such a system identifies who and what is working to a degree.

As for effeciencies actually achieved – I am at a loss as well – I didn’t really see any. Then again, I probably would have said the same about Arne 24 months in.

• 13. SETeacher  |  November 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm

This has been the strangest ride in teaching I have ever been on. I currently teach in a SE high school. The pressure is incredible: to attract students, to keep them interested, to get the ACT scores as high as can be. Everything is a number. If standardized tests don’t show increases, teachers better figure out how to get them moving. Unfortunately though, there are no handbooks, teachers editions or manuals that explain to us how to teach these necessary skills to children who are realing from the effects of sexual abuse, hunger, depression and the plethora of other evils that are haunting their lives. My job is their test score number. Everything else is extrenuous. I hope this next CEO or whatever we may call her/him is a former educator. Only an educator can know what challenges a teacher faces on a continual basis that have nothing to do with specific subject matter.

• 14. NonSETeacher  |  November 6, 2010 at 3:05 pm

To SETeacher,

Imagine how it feels working in a neighborhood school where, if your school wide ACT scores don’t go up you lose your job and in many cases are functionally blacklisted from the profession. Talk about pressure.

• 15. SETeacher  |  November 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

NonSETeacher,
    I am sure the pressure on you is horrible. I was by no means minimizing what neighborhood school teachers are going through. I was giving my own perspective. No matter where you teach, without support from your admin and from home, you will never make the strides that you potentially could with those support systems in place.

• 16. magnet school mom  |  November 15, 2010 at 11:45 am

Huberman is a city machine hack. When he was in grad school, I was one of his TAs. He pestered me to no end to get a better grade on all assignments. I had no tolerance for this. He was good at this and this is how he got his positions in OConnor’s’ office, as the mayoral chief of staff, etc. He pesters and pushes for his own self interest. He is not an educator nor is he an effective manager. He got his position because the machine owed him.

Now, I hope that whomever has the power to appoint will put in an educator and give our children what they deserve.