Test Prep for 4 year olds?

October 12, 2010 at 11:02 am 50 comments

I’ve seen a couple people asking whether it is worth buying some test prep materials for kids entering K and taking the gifted/classical test.

For the gifted test, the questions are more logical in nature: analogies, patterns, logic, which item doesn’t belong, etc.
The classical test measures pre-reading and pre-math skills (not sure how they test pre-reading if a child can’t actually read, but it happens!)

For the classical component, I would say that you can do that yourself with having kids practice letter sounds and basic number concepts.  I had some of those colorful magnetical letters and a little board and I’d try to trick my son into playing some fun games as I made simple words like BOO and change it to POO to see if he could tell that it said.  Hilarious!  He barely realized he was reading.  I’d make up little funny stories to go with the changing words.  For “math” you’re probably all doing it anyhow – taking 2 action figured and another 2 and making the team of 4.  Look, 4!  Woo!

The gifted stuff is a little hard to “practice” on a daily basis as we don’t typically make simple analogies throughout the day.  I do think some simple practice could make sense here just to get them used to the idea of these questions.

To me, the concept of test prep is making them feel comfortable with what is going to happen in the room, rather than drilling on stuff.  So being able to follow directions, circle things on a piece of paper (i.e. which doesn’t belong, which comes next, etc) probably helps a little bit and may relieve some confusion in the room.   Heck, they may not even use pencils for the K testing.  It probably would help to also practice having them point to the right answer from a group of 4 possible answers.

In NYC, they all know that the test used is the OLSAT but we don’t know which test is used here.  So to me, it could be risky trying to practice a lot of one type of question, only for your child to get in the room and it’s all different.

If you order any workbooks, read the description carefully to see what’s inside and if there’s a variety of questions (or if not, is it all the type that you want?)  Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) most of the books avaible are just general practice books, not true test-prep like you can do for the SAT’s or other standardized tests.  One thing I do like about the general prep books is that you can see what areas your child can answer questions and those that stump them… and hopefully make up some games, questions, drawing, quizzes of your own to help them with those skills in a way that is fun and relevant to them.  Or if you help them solve the questions, they can get an idea of the thought process used.  Sometimes that is half the battle with my son and math problems.

I’ve emailed ThinkTonight.com to see if they have any specific recommendations for kids entering K in CPS.  I’ll let you know what I hear.

Think Tonight has good information and the owner Helen is very helpful if you want to email her.  One polular test that *might* be the one they use here is called the OLSAT and ThinkTonight has a lot of materials for that test: http://www.thinktonight.com/OLSAT_s/26.htm

I just found this site. COGAT is the test they used to use in NYC, I think.  I’ve seen some practice questions and they’re probably good basic practice ones for any kids (and fun if you are nerdy like I am.)  Not sure if there is a prep book for just K either.

The booklets about gifted testing in NYC are very interesting to read and also have a short practice OLSAT test at the back (different one for each grade.)  Check them out here:

Entry filed under: Gifted / Classical Testing. Tags: .

Daily Show + Education = My Kind of Comedy Test Prep Info from Thinktonight.com

• 1. two cents  |  October 12, 2010 at 11:13 am

What about higher grades 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th…..?

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  October 12, 2010 at 11:20 am

Good question. I guess I find it hard to truly prep if you don’t know what the test is. I have to assume that the gifted test continues with the same type of logic questions so I would think that any kinds of workbooks with patterns, analogies, logic questions is a good way to keep the brain working (ideally as long as the kid finds it fun to do them.) Again, I wouldn’t get them TOO used to any kind of question since you don’t know what the actual test will be like.

I’d think for classical that if a child is doing well in school with math and reading and comprehension (?) then that is the best way to get them ready for the classical test. But I could be wrong. The past 2 years my son only took the gifted test (didn’t want to take up 2 saturdays by taking classical too. maybe this year I can bribe him.)

Testing in 6th grade can be key because they can test into an Academic Center for 7th grade.
    This company can help with more structured test prep for the academic centers. Local company, mom has a child in CPS gifted.

• 3. klm  |  October 12, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I love the idea that one could prepare one’s child for a test, then –WHAM! Success! If only life were that easy. I know that I’m simplifying, but does anybody think that they can “cram” their way into a gifted or classical school? (Especially for the Gifted programs, where the admissions test is a quasi-I.Q. test). THEN AGAIN –I know the desperate feelings that can happen, the anxiety, the fear that occurs when one learns that some of the 8th graders at the local elementary school already have Parole Officers, the neighborhood school is a “failure factory” and there’s no money to move or pay for a private school, or move to a place with good schools, etc., so who am I to judge? Kids are sometimes admitted or denied over a point or two. That’s the real fear –“If only I’d have spent more time and/or a little money doing X, Y or Z, then my child might have got that extra one or two points and be on a better track in life”. If the “preparation” keeps parents from feeling bad or guilty for not having done everything humanly possible for their child, then I’m all for it, if only because the parents will at least know that they’ve done all that they can. So, what the Heck, why not “prepare”, as long as it’s done in a way that the kids are not privy to what’s really going on (i.e. preparation for a test that will determine whether thay are “smart” or not) and the parents don’t project negative their anxiety about the whole process.

• 4. Mayfair Dad  |  October 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm

For the wee young ones, I’m not sold on the test prep idea, but maybe as a “practice” test so the child is less prone to having a bad day when they take the real test. Many parents tell the horror story of how their pint-sized Einstein blew a gasket on test day.

My 7th grade son did a few Saturdays of test prep – VERY reluctantly, but at the time I was still bigger than him – for ISATS and scored extremely well. The coaches were able to isolate the subject matter and types of questions he was less comfortable with, and drilled him on it.

Hey, with $60K worth of high school education on the table, a few hundred bucks for test prep seems like chump change.

• 5. EJB  |  October 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I don’t think you can cram for the tests, but I do think it can be helpful to make sure your child is familiar with the different types of questions that might be asked. If you look at the OLSAT questions, there are a few types of questions – what doesn’t belong, what’s next in the sequence. Can’t hurt to make sure your child has been exposed. Do I think it will significantly change a score? No.

• 6. two cents  |  October 12, 2010 at 1:20 pm

One of my childen got into RGC, easily. The other is, IMHO, just as intelligent, simply a careless test taker. I was hoping there would be reports of parents in similar situations for whom prepping helped.

• 7. cpsobsessed  |  October 12, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I’m a big fan of test prep for older kids if there is something to be gained by it. I mean if society places value on these tests for getting into a HS or college (or even academic center) I say maximize your abilites as much as you can.

Unfortunately, those test makers are not the most original bunch and practicing usually helps you get the question concepts, which I think helps a lot.

I looked at the COGAT sample questions for kids going into 3rd grade. I cannot say that they were super easy! They certainly would require some concentration skills, listening skills and a certain way of thinking that not every gifted child possesses, in my opinion. And THAT is the downfall of standardized testing. Some people are just better at it than others, with no reflection of intelligence. I’ve always been an expert standardized test taker (using test prep.) I always stuck at essays etc. Does that make me smart? I think we know the answer to that…

• 8. Rnorth  |  October 12, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Cpsobsessed, I’m really having trouble deciding between skinner north classical and south loop gifted. I’ve read that gifted teaches two grades above and classical one grade above. I want a challenging program and the skinner track record is attractive. South loops overcrowding issues are a concern as there does not appear to be a clear solution. Are parents in the south loop gifted program at the upper grades happy?

• 9. 2ndtimearound  |  October 12, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I know parents at both schools. The comments about South Loop are that the principal is too controlling and does not want to work with the parents who are concerned about the overcrowding and future class sizes of the school. They also mentioned that for the first few years, their child had a lot of worksheets, but this year homework seems more appropriate. At Skinner North, some children were working 2 years ahead in math, depending on what their needs were. The principal is very open and approachable and reaches out to his parents to aid in problem solving (for example, last year when there was talk of 37 to a class, he called a special meeting to brainstorm how the school could make that work for them, help the children continue to learn, etc. I would STRONGLY recommend touring each school to get a feel for it as well as the principal/administration. Ethan (principal of Skinner North) was very accommodating and allowed me to tour individually, since the tours scheduled did not work for my schedule. I also arrived with a list of questions, which he answered thoroughly. Go on the tours and see if you can talk to any parents before submitting your OAE paperwork and rankings.

• 10. 2 in SE schools  |  October 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm

My little one got into an RGC with out a problem. No test prep per se but since he was two we worked with Brain Quest games for fun. He mention the logic test was like Brain quest but couldn’t remember specifics. My older son is in an SE high school and we did pay for test prep and it was well worth it for him. He was at a grammar school where only the right donation$$ got you into the “gifted” program (despite consistently scoring in th high 90’s on ISATs) and hadn’t had much work with algebra or challenging work with lreading/writing in his “regulars” class. The test prep helped fill in some of the gaps. He was also accepted into an IB program but chose to go the SE route instead.

• 11. LR  |  October 13, 2010 at 12:21 am

I think it helps to familiarize your child with the types of questions that they might see on the gifted test. For Kindergarten, my daughter went in cold turkey and did ok. For 1st grade, we did some practice COGAT test questions a couple weeks prior. Her score went up 10 points. I’m sure some of that increase was just random luck, but I do think being familiar didn’t hurt either.

• 12. M  |  October 13, 2010 at 9:22 am

“Are parents in the south loop gifted program at the upper grades happy?”

Parents of current SL gifted upper grades are not happy because there is such uncertainty about whether the gifted program will be moved off site or whether all the middle school grades will be moved off site. In anticipation of this, many families transferred elsewhere (e.g. the 7/8 programs at Whitney Young, Taft, Kenwood) and the upper grade gifted classes are down to a handful of kids. This should not be a concern to anyone whose child is looking into kindergarten because by then the situation will be resolved, but that’s the current situation.

• 13. RL Julia  |  October 13, 2010 at 10:25 am

I agree – test prep for the SE high schools seems well worth the effort. There are classes and/or the private tutor route – a friend went to Academic Approach and for the same money got her daughter some very targeted tutoring for the test – on the stuff that CPS doesn’t stress/teach but tests on for the SE – like grammar. Like Mayfair dad, it seemed well worth the effort.

For testing for Kindergarteners, I don’t know. They are a fickle bunch and I still maintain that there are more options, decent schools, that if you are an involved parent your kid will do just fine etc…. Did anyone else read this article and think that the pressure being put on four and five years to compete with one another might also be a culprit in their behavior (or parents looking the other way on certain types of behavior)?

• 14. An  |  October 13, 2010 at 10:25 am

@ #8 RNorth – I can’t speak of South Loop but I will tell you that as a parent of a SN kindergarten student I am very happy. When I received a call last April that my child was accepted at the school, I was very unsure (SN was not my first choice). I went to visit the school for the second time and spoke to Ethan. I expressed my doubts about everything from security to the after school program. He answered everything to my satisfaction and we took the plunge. Again, I’m very pleased we did.

• 15. cpsobsessed  |  October 13, 2010 at 10:36 am

To clarify for any new readers, South Loop has a Regional Gifted Center AND a neighborhood program in the school. Unfortunately, this can lead to space considerations, as the neighborhood portion has become more popular, it puts a crunch on physical space. This is an issue at Bell too, where the continue to use creative space management in order to keep all the programs in the building.

One benefit of a school like Skinner North is that they can control their size since everyone tests in (someone correct me if I’m wrong about this.) The DOWNSIDE of this, of course, is that you have no chance of getting a sibling into the school unless they test in. Although at places like South Loop and Coonley which have popular neighborhood programs it can still be difficult to get a sibling into the school (but at least they don’t need to test for the neighborhood program… you just need to wait to see if there is space.) I don’t envy the principals in these schools — it’s a tough situation. Nobody wants to lose the gifted programs, but it’s not fair to squish the neighbors into giant classes and hallways.

The Bell principal admitted outright a couple years ago that they could reach critical mass if the neighborhood growth continued, but I think they were likely saved by the end of the housing boom. (And probably the increasing desirability of other nearby schools.)

• 16. Christine  |  October 13, 2010 at 11:01 am

I agree with cpsobessed’s comments in #15. Principals who have a RCG and a neighborhood portion are in tough situations. They brought the RGC to help turn around the school. The entire school turns around and it becomes a popular choice. People who want a great environment to send their children are moving into that area, staying, and sending their children to the neighborhood school, instead of buying in the area and then having to send their children to other CPS schools including private. Now you’re left with overcrowding. Parents don’t want to lose the RGC but they need the classrooms the RGC uses. You also have to deal with the politics and beauracray of CPS and what they’ve determined they want in your school. I wouldn’t want to a principal.

• 17. Miasmom  |  October 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm

To RNorth, I would go ahead and rank both anyway. You might not end up with a ” choice” at all. It’s possible your child will score in range on the classical or the gifted test only, and only have one type of school as an option.

• 18. EJB  |  October 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm

does anyone have any idea what the K entry Classical test is like? i know it tests knowledge, but in what format? not for prep, just out of curiosity.

• 19. Rnorth  |  October 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Thank you for the responses. As usual, the comments are very helpful. Cpsobsessed, thank you for providing such a great forum!

• 20. SWSideJen  |  October 13, 2010 at 7:56 pm

CPSObsessed, I remember reading your posts from last year about having your son tested even though he was already in the program, just to get some free data about how he is doing. When you do that, do you potentially risk their existing spot? I’m actually quite happy with the RGC my son is in, but am curious at the same time how he would test. Any thoughts?

• 21. two cents  |  October 14, 2010 at 9:31 am

Classical for KDG includes (but is not limited to – per my kids’ feedback after) letter recognition (upper and lower case)…you can be sure ‘b’ and ‘d’ and ‘p’ and ‘q’ will be on it, reading to whatever level they are up to, writing simple words (my son said he had to spell ‘laptop’), simple math (counting, more/less, numeric order, adding, subtraction).

• 22. To two cents  |  October 14, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Although my ds is in 3rd grade he said there was no reading and he took both the gifted and classical test.So unless they have changed the test I don’t believe reading is assessed. My son attends a classical school and the K teacher stated that about half the class can read and the other half can’t when the students enter K. I have even heard that some K’s get in gifted programs although they are unable to read.

• 23. Mom  |  October 14, 2010 at 7:54 pm

@22 I think there may be some reading or spelling. My child asked me after, “does C-A-T spell cat?”

• 24. Momof2  |  October 14, 2010 at 8:49 pm

What can do to prepare my child for the classical test for 1st grade? Any information would be super helpful. I know there is reading but I need guidance for math.

• 25. cpsobsessed  |  October 15, 2010 at 6:07 am

@24 Momof2, I’d read post #21 and just bump it up a notch. I think basic reading and math (addition, subtraction, simple multiplication? simple word problems?) are likely what they are testing for. Simple spelling?

Classical is supposedly for the kids who are advanced at the basics (reading and math) so I think the better they are at those, the better they’ll test. I’m sure some practice time will help, but it feels to me that you can’t necessarily push these skills faster than they exist in a 5yo. You can certainly push them to the top of their abilities though….

• 26. cpsobsessed  |  October 15, 2010 at 6:08 am

FYI, I emailed ThinkTonight and she is going to try to make some recommendations, but says she is overloaded by NYC parents who go crazy with test prep. That made me chuckle and appreciate the parents here. 🙂

• 27. cpsobsessed  |  October 15, 2010 at 6:09 am

@20 SWSideJen: You are free to continue testing without any impact on your current spot. The school won’t know your child has tested (unless you post it on a blog and your child’s teacher reads about it. heh heh.)

• 28. cpsobsessed  |  October 15, 2010 at 6:16 am

@8 Rnorth: As the others have said, the ranking process for gifted/classical is usually pretty efficient if you just rank them by true preference.
    For kids who kick butt on both tests, the ranking will determine whether they go gifted or classical.
    Most kids seem to score better on one than the other, so the choice is sort of made for them.
    As was mentioned, CPS will go down your list, trying to place your child in your top choice. If it’s full (by kids who tested better,) they will go to your second choice, and so on.

So if your top 3 choices are Classical and 4 is gifted, but your child cranks on the gifted test but tests in say the 96th percentile on Classical, they’d likely get the #4 gifted placement.

• 29. ChicagoGawker  |  October 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

Mayfair Dad, do you mind saying what SE test prep you used?

• 30. jmom  |  October 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Last year’s gifted exam for the primary grades got away from the critical thinking exercises that it had previously consisted of. My child said that many of the things we had studied were not on there. Instead, there were a lot of “vocabulary” words used to instruct children which picture to choose. Words like plain and burst. If a child does not know what these mean, they do not know which picture to choose. There were also questions about animal knowledge. They had to know what caterpillars and zebras looked like for instance. In the past, my older children had never told me about questions like these that my youngest informed me about last year

• 31. South Side Mom  |  October 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Well I went to the Lenart RGC open house earlier this month (after attending South Loop last month) and the principal and school psychologist said the following: while you cannot ‘prep’ per se, they have heard that logic, analogies, patterns, and reasoning are skills you can kind-of work on. They specifically recommended going to a teacher supply store (there are a lot in or near Beverly, where I live), and specifically ask for materials and games that address those skills.

The administrators also cautioned against putting too much stress and emphasis on the importance of the test to your child, along with the notion of offering rewards, etc. to your child. They also cautioned against trying to ‘force’ or emphasize learning to read with your child. They kept stressing that the tests measure aptitude, not achievement.

Just around my neighborhood, I have heard that kids who work with Brain Quest materials have a lot of success getting into Lenart and Keller, our two local schools.

I have a question: in ranking the schools, are there 2 separate ranks for classical and gifted or are they all ranked the same? It would seem that logically they should be separate, since they are 2 different tests, two different types of schools, etc., but the application seems to want to group them together. Just wondering….

• 32. Mayfair Dad  |  October 18, 2010 at 9:12 am

@#29 Chicago Gawker

The Huntington Learning Center near Old Orchard. After the preliminary interview, my son took the CSAT exam (California’s version of ISAT) to reveal need areas. Then one-on-one drilling for a few Saturdays, 90 minute sessions. ISAT Results: 99 Math, 97 Science, 95 Reading. Well worth it.

• 33. EdisonMom  |  October 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

Question about ranking on the GEAP application. My son is already in a RGC school (Edison). My daughter did not make it last year for K for any of her choices (although she scored higher than he did – still bummed about that! The tier ranking really screwed us over. If I want her to get into any school (RGC or Classical), but the ultimate goal is to get her into the same school as her brother, should I rank Edison first (although class is already full, unless someone drops out next year) or Beaubien and Bell, since more spots are open because they start their program for 1st grade. Does ranking really matter? If I rank Edison first, but only 1 spot is open, will she be SOL for the open spots in Beaubien / Bell? HELP!

• 34. Grace  |  October 20, 2010 at 10:40 am

I have 2 in a RGC, and I would suggest calling the Office of Academic Enhancement. Ask if it would hurt your daughter’s chance of being considered for Bell’s first grade if Edison — your first choice because her sibling also attends — turns out to have no seats in first grade.

Also ask if OAE is planning to allow sibling preference to be an additional criteria considered for the RGC class of 2011-12.

If so, your daughter would be competing for (maybe) 1 seat, against those Edison kids with younger siblings — giving you somewhat better odds than before.

(You know this already, but you always have the best chance of getting a seat when your child is applying for an entry grade. )

I’m sorry in advance if this suggestion I’m about to make sounds a little over the top — but if your aim is to get both into the same school — you could also test your son, if he’s open to it. Then if your daughter gets in at Bell but not at Edison, you would have the option of having him join her.
    All the best.

• 35. cpsobsessed  |  October 20, 2010 at 10:50 am

@Edison Mom, if your goal is to get your daughter into Edison, my understanding is that the process will work efficienty by putting Edison as #1.
    Then if she test well, but not quite high enough for Edison, she would miss out on Edison, but move to the Bell list (or whatever school you put #2.)
    They will go down the list by test score and place kids in their top choice. So the 99.9%+ kids fill up the spots first, then they start working their way down.
    The CHALLENGE will be if you get a spot at Bell/Beaubien/etc and you have to decide whether to take it or try to wait for a spot to open at Edison (assuming you think she’d close to scores needed.)
    Once you accept a spot, you’re stuck with that one, but if you turn it down, you could still get a spot in one of your higher-ranked choices.

I know someone who just kept testing both kids each year and turned down a couple spots until through luck they both got into Decatur in the same year (one as a late entry during the summer.)

• 36. to mayfair dad  |  October 20, 2010 at 1:12 pm

You are talking about the SAT-10? I believe the ISAT only says whether the student has met or exceeded standards. The SAT-10 is a very small proportion of the questions that are in the ISAT test and that is what the 7th grade scores are based on for SE high schools.

Having said all that, how much did Huntingdon cost?

• 37. KS  |  October 20, 2010 at 5:42 pm

@EdisonMom- I have two children in the same RGC. Unfortunately, I did have to move my older child to a different RGC to make it happen. I agree 100% with Grace that you absolutely need to retest the older child to increase the chances of making a match. Your son will always have his spot at Edison (until you accept at another RGC) , but you might be able to work out an option at the same, albeit different RGC. With regards to ranking, I would rank Edison number 1 and hope for the best. Good luck! I know this situation has to be really tough.

• 38. cps Mom  |  October 20, 2010 at 9:15 pm

The ISAT has a specific point value which translates into a % of students taking the test that you do as well as or better. This is the first I have heard that they only look at certain portions of the test. The ISAT results provided by the school correspond to a point ruberic for the selective enrollment process.

• 39. sat 10  |  October 21, 2010 at 10:28 am

no–it is is the sat 10 that counts–the first 30 questions.

• 40. cps Mom  |  October 21, 2010 at 1:02 pm

So are you saying that the ISAT scores given out by the school, which did translate directly into the Ruberic for SE (this I do know – because that’s what happened) are only results for the first 30 questions? If that’s true, then the ISAT results that we get, booklet and all are only for a portion of the test. Now I’m confused.

• 41. sat10  |  October 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm

ony the % such as 99% in reading and math. the sat 10 questions are included in the entire isat score to go to the score and meeting standards.

• 42. Mayfair Dad  |  October 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

@36

Briana
    Huntington Learning Center
    9418 Skokie Boulevard
    Skokie, IL 60077
    Phone: 847-675-8600
    huntingtonskokie@sbcglobal.net

• 43. Teacher  |  October 28, 2010 at 9:15 pm

You people make me sick. Your kids will be burnt out on education by age 9. Sure, maybe you’ll push them into a gifted program where maybe they can cut it for a while… that is until they get in WAY over their heads. Then what? Oops.

• 44. AN  |  October 29, 2010 at 12:11 pm

43- How dare you pass judgement on anybody doing what they believe is best for their child. This wouldn’t be necessary if CPS had better teachers and schools.

• 45. cps Mom  |  October 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm

#43 – I hope that you are not really a teacher, because that was frightening.

• 46. Yikes  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm

#43 – why are you even on this website if it/we make you sick? Where do you teach? We need to know so that we don’t apply there.

• 47. maybe  |  October 29, 2010 at 5:28 pm

teacher has a point. a lot of this pushing seems more about the parent than following the lead of the child. children need to play. they are naturally curious and will let you know when they are ready. All of this is very sad.

• 48. cps Mom  |  October 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Whatever the point was is lost in the presentation. Not what I expect from a teacher.

• 49. Hawthorne mom  |  October 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Ignore the troll.

• 50. Norwood  |  January 18, 2017 at 3:06 pm

What a great thread. It’s too bad it died. Teacher made her comment 2 months before I founded option programs exist and 4 months before we sat for the first test – my son sitting for the actual test, and me sitting in the waiting room worrying.

6 years later, it turns out she was right. The programs are really hard. But it also turns out that children thrive in an environment where they are constantly challenged. It’s beats playing video games and watching cartoons. It’s really a shame that someone with the name “teacher” has such low expectations about children and their parents.