Whose credit card is education funding going on?

May 26, 2010 at 11:23 am 12 comments

Cause I sure would like those frequent flyer miles…

One of my spies tells me (spies meaning people who actually read the newspaper instead of just reading CakeWreck and AwkwardFamilyPhotos online like I do) that the state has decided to borrow money to address Illinois’ budget issues for now and they’ll figure things out next year.

Why do I feel like the entire state is going to have a big FORECLOSURE sign on it at some point?

Not sure what this means, but I think we’re safe from classes of 35-37 kids. For now.

Nuts.  Who is running the place?

Entry filed under: Budget.

Now to keep filling up those slots… (and the usual ranting) Report from Cleveland

• 1. also obsessed  |  May 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I would like to know where from where this information was gathered?

• 2. a dad  |  May 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

If you want a complete listing of CPS employees, positions and salaries for 2010 visit this link. Apparently this has been posted for transparency. Personally I think I’d like to be a Head Playground Attendant – they make upwards of $50,000 a year.

• 4. Hawthorne mom  |  May 26, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I’m probably wrong, but I thought the money being borrowed was to pay the state’s portion of the pension, not for classroom size.

• 5. another dad  |  May 26, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Even with the State borrowing money CPS is something like $300 million in the red for next year. Unless Daley finds something else to sell between now and September I think we’re stuck with large class sizes.

• 6. also obsessed  |  May 27, 2010 at 11:36 am

#4…that’s what i thought i read, too, that is why i was confused….

• 7. RL Julia  |  May 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Unfortunately, I think the four billion will amount to being a tiny band-aid on a gun shot wound. In the 70’s many municipalities (NYC, Cleveland) found themselves in similar positions – basically unwilling to raise (property) taxes but in desperate need of cash. The solution was to sell off the public utilities (anyone getting flash forwards here yet?) and other income generating city resources to get a quick fix of cash. Ultimately, both city’s went bankrupt. While I don’t think Chicago is necessarily headed this way super-quickly, the state is – and its inability/unwillingness to raise taxes ultimately squeezes municipalities to bear the burden. As always, the neediest municipalities with lowest incomes are disproportionately hit the hardest (because the tend to depend on the state the most). Sound familiar? While I am not exactly in love with Daley (even though he’s my boss), the decisions he makes in terms of the budget are often controlled or at least suggested by forces larger than Chicago’s economy alone.

• 8. Paul  |  May 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm

It’s going on OUR credit card. We all will pay for it in the form of higher taxes and fewer government services.

• 9. pension money  |  June 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Who can clarify about the pension money. The state borrowed money and has not been paying it back into the pension fund…is this true? How long? How much? How has this been allowed to go on?

Have said this here several times and any time raising taxes and budget shortfalls are discussed can’t help but repeat that there is so much waste in CPS. Even if raise more money through higher taxes it will equate to more wasted money.

• 10. Good news  |  June 7, 2010 at 5:04 pm

The principal at Edison just informed us that they are sending back our donation checks because the board of education has approved funding for the teacher position that they were going to lose.

• 11. Amy  |  June 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Hi Good News, nice to hear the Edison Update. Was anything else on the chopping block at Edison? How about kindergarten or language? Thanks for any info you can provide?

• 12. KS  |  June 10, 2010 at 11:05 am

Yes, Good News, congratulations! If you could share how/why Edison’s funding was restored, I would love to pass this info along to my kids’ GEAP school. So far, we aren’t getting your positive news….