Those letter are coming soon…

March 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm 21 comments

Just for fun, I called the GEAP office to inquire about the letters on Gifted/Classical testing.

The woman who answered said that on March 19 (1 week!) they will mail out both the test scores and initial school assignment together.

She didn’t know whether a percentile would be included.  (One year I’ve seen one, one year I didn’t for gifted.  Classical had a percentile both years.)

I’m really interested to see whether the scores that kids need to get into the gifted programs are as high this year as they were last year.

UPDATE: Unofficial reports on NPN say that the magnet letters will be delayed.

When “bad” schools close The Gifted/Classical selection process

• 1. nervous  |  March 12, 2010 at 6:53 pm

This is our first year testing our kids so this whole process is very new to us. I have already been checking the mailbox every hour before I read this! I wonder if Magnet school letters will be mailed before then.

• 2. SW Side Mom  |  March 12, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I thought originally that they said they’d be mailed on March 15. Oh well, I suppose we have waited this long, we can wait a few more days… I too am anxious to see what the scores are/competition is like this year. I have such mixed feelings about it, as my son is at a Gifted school for K this year (we feel very blessed and lucky that he got in last year) and we are very pleased with the experience he had had this year and the eduation he is getting there. But we did apply to an another Gifted school that is 1 – 8 closer to our home and if he gets in we will have a difficult decision to make. Thanks for your update! 🙂

• 3. KCK  |  March 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I actually emailed the OAE office last week, I was told the notification letters will be mailed out during the 3rd week of March, as scheduled. And the magnet schools will send out letters during the same week too.

• 4. dazedandconfused  |  March 13, 2010 at 11:46 am

funny the conflicting info since they told my husband they would be mailed the 15th. i’m going to say april 1 so i’ll be pleasantly surprised when it comes “early” 🙂 I’m actually more nervous this year since i had zero expectations last year. while i’m hoping for a placement much closer to our house and not the half hour drive we have now, our current placement has been an amazing educational experience. leads me to wonder about all the shifting around once this first round comes out and opening up of slots in the second round
    thanks as always for keeping us informed!.

• 5. 2ndtimearound  |  March 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I called the office yesterday as well. I was told lottery schools the 15th and gifted/classical the 19th.

• 6. KS  |  March 13, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Hmmmm…I heard second hand from *someone* who works in the CPS IT department that all letters will be 2 weeks late. Fingers crossed that they actually go out next week, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we don’t hear anything until April.

• 7. dave4118  |  March 13, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Thanks to all of your sleuthing….I was just sort suffering in silence, awaiting that letter. LOL…My wife is much more easygoing about this. I suppose my nightmare scenario is that she will be part of the new version of ‘Welcome Back Kotter’.

• 8. LR  |  March 14, 2010 at 7:56 pm

The date listed in the Options for Knowledge Guide is March 19th for Gifted and Classical Schools. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a last minute announcement that there’s been some glitch and we won’t know for a couple weeks.

• 9. Cristine  |  March 15, 2010 at 8:07 am

If my child pass the exam what is the process of getting in to the school that we had picked in the application….

• 10. sk  |  March 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Just got off the phone with geap office and the woman stated that the letters will be mailed out this friday, 3/19.

• 11. the heckler  |  March 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Christine, it’s not a matter of passing. It’s who ever scores the highest gets in. If you child is one of the highest scoring for the school(s) that you chose, you will get a letter from CPS saying they are accepted at ________. And if they are not accepted, you will at least get scores on how your child does. Always nice to collect these scores to use as proof your child needs a challenging curriculum or just nice to have to make sure your child is getting the education they deserve.

• 12. Amy  |  March 15, 2010 at 11:38 pm

This is our first year, and I am scared to death. I have had my son in private preschool for the past 2 years. The cost of private school is astronomical, and if we continued to do this, we would not have any money saved for college.
    I had planned on returning to work full time. Now that I know the school schedule for kindergartners, I don’t see how I can possibly find a job within that time frame. I also fear that with all the new budget cuts, strikes will be imminent. How many families will lose income to stay at home if this happens?
    I enrolled my son in a total of 14 magnet schools and also tested him for the gifted program. I have been waiting for the mailman everyday. This waiting game is excruciating. Now that the lottery program automatically accepts siblings first, everything is up in the air.
    Do they send out 1 letter of acceptance for magnet schools, or do you receive several? And if the gifted acceptance letters come later, do you wait for that first before making a decision? If there are chances that a student does not accept a spot in either a gifted or magnet spot, do you need to call those schools to get on a list? So many questions. I am so thankful for your blog.

• 13. cpsobsessed  |  March 15, 2010 at 11:49 pm

@Amy – the magnet letters will come individually. You’d think it would be centralized, but no! In the past, each school gets their list and fills out and mails the letters.
    In fact, I had a school who messed up how they reported the ranking. CPS central had a different number for me. I never determined who was right because they each insisted that they were (and frankly the woman at the school didn’t sound convincing.)
    I believe there will one date by which you need to make your decision and then register for a school.
    No need to call to get on lists. CPS has you in a system for everything. But if you are highly ranked on a wait list for a magnet school, it can’t help to keep calling so they know who you are. Principal discretion is done for now, but I think there will still be some leeway in how they do the calling for the wait lists. To paraphrase, if you’re close to the top, make yourself known. (This doesn’t apply to gifted/classical where central CPS does all the calling.)
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    What a nerve-wracking time, huh?

• 14. two cents  |  March 16, 2010 at 9:42 am

My DC got into a magnet scholastic academy last year. My husband noted that all of the selected students came from private schools – his expanded hypothesis was that the principal was anticipating a higher involvement from parents who would select private schooling initially. And, indeed, the involved parents do seem to be those who initially pursued private schooling.

Visiting the office – talking to the secretary (who is really the one in charge of contacting families) – really helped in our case. DC moved from #37 on wait list for 2nd grade to being accepted by the end of the summer.

• 15. KCK  |  March 16, 2010 at 9:42 am

So I wouldn’t get a letter from magnet schools if my child is not being accepted? How about the waiting list, do I have to call to find out?

• 16. two cents  |  March 16, 2010 at 9:43 am

And, maybe more donations.

• 17. cpsobsessed  |  March 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

@KCK – you’ll get a letter from each school with either “accepted,” a waiting list number,” or a “not accepted” (some schools with giant lists don’t even bother if you’re #200+ or so.)
    If you don’t get a letter, don’t assume it means you’re not in. Call the school.

• 18. 2ndtimearound  |  March 16, 2010 at 7:26 pm

no magnet letter in my mailbox yet. maybe i’ll give them a call tomorrow and ask about the march 15 mailing date and see if they know about the supposed 2 week delay.

• 19. not so hopeful anymore  |  March 16, 2010 at 9:52 pm

The letters are delayed nearly every year. Add two weeks onto whatever CPS says and then worry at that point. I wouldn’t even bother looking for letters until April. Last year, we started getting letters nearly a week after they said and they kept coming up to a month later. Some even came later than that, after we had to make a decision for ones that came earlier.

• 20. Stressed Out  |  March 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I just called Andrew Jackson. They said their letters will be mailed next week.

• 21. not so hopeful anymore  |  March 18, 2010 at 11:33 am

Hamilton (not a magnet, but a decent school) mailed out letters already. We won’t be taking the offered spot (our youngest has a spot at his sister’s magnet, but I still applied all over in case there was a cps screw up and anyways we hope to be out of the city by summer’s end) Still, all that to say, some schools have sent letters this week already.