Figure out what Magnet Schools you are in-neighborhood for (uh, if any)

January 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm 8 comments

Well, it took me some time to run across this link — calling CPS, getting transferred a couple time until I finally got a woman who asked me nicely “have you ever heard of a website called CPS.edu?”  Why yes.  Yes I have. (Reference to Phineas and Ferb there for you fans.)

This is the link where you can find out what magnet schools you qualify for as being in-neighborhood.  The range is something like a 1.5 mile radius (someone correct me if I’m wrong there.)  The actuallys show a circle so I don’t know what happens if you live on a corner just outside the circle.

This is relevant if CPS continues with the new plan to give 40% of magnet seats to neighborhood kids.

I entered my address.  Nothing.  Nope, no advantage for me.
I tried entering an address assuming I lived across the street from Hawthorne.  Three choices.  Yeah.  Not cool.  Not fair.  Someone’s going to have to make a computer model that figures out the most advantageous area in which to live to get into a magnet.  Or hey, maybe once they start going the neighborhood route, they won’t be quite so elite any more.

In any case, try it out and report what you find for your neighborhood.  I’m curious.

Select “Accept” (this should bring up a viewer page that I can’t directly link to
Go to the bottom left and type your address
Click on “Find schools in your vicinity” (you can also narrow it down using the drop downs on the right)
Under “Select appropriate address” click on your address
Click on one of the schools and a map will come up with your home in the center and a circle around it
I am assuming this is a 1.5 mile radius (based roughly on the distance in the map.)
So if you input the address of a magnet school, you should be able to see the neighborhood radius.
Disclaimer: Always triple check before assuming any map you see on the CPS web site is accurate.  Boundaries change, informatio is not always correct, and often you can’t find 2 people in CPS to give you the same information.

Entry filed under: Applying to schools, Uncategorized.

Principal evaluation time Finding your socio-economic tier

• 1. Jan  |  January 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Can you explain more specifically how you got it to show the magnet “circles”? This link is to the regular old school locator site, which I’ve known about for a long time, but only for purposes of figuring out a neighborhood school, but I can’t figure out how to get magnet proximities to appear. Thanks in advance!

• 2. KCK  |  January 22, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Thanks for the info.

Although we have ONE magnet school within the 1.5 radius, I won’t give too much hope as I personally know a couple children who got into that school through CONNECTIONS.

• 3. Liz K  |  January 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

We’re in the attendance area for Edison and Von Stueben. I would be thrilled to get my little guy into Edison…but then he’s not yet one so I’m sure the rules will be totally different by the time he’s ready for school!

• 4. ChgoGal  |  January 25, 2010 at 12:30 am

I don’t think that this is actually meauring 1.5 miles. There are some that come up for us, that I am sure we’re more than 1.5 miles from. Would be interesting though to know for sure.

• 5. Christine  |  January 25, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I have 3 options: South Loop, Galileo, and Smythe. Anyone have any feedback?

• 6. d snyder  |  February 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Edison is select enrollment and you have to test and has nothing to do with proximity; that only applies to the magnet programs.

• 7. wandrerr  |  March 26, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I was wondering if there were any reviews of Magnet Schools posted anywhere – either on this Web site or anywhere else? I see the comments about the RGC’s, but nothing about the Magnets.
    Thanks!

• 8. cpsobsessed  |  March 26, 2010 at 1:01 pm

@Wandrerr – your best bet may be NPN if you are a member there. Or Greatschool.net (.com?) I toured several but mainly on the north side and some of my impressions are a bit outdated at this point. I think the most important thing is your own impression. For almost every school, I’ve met people who have been totally thrilled and others who have complaints. A lot of it is subjective.