Gifted test this week

January 4, 2010 at 11:11 am 13 comments

Yep, I’m a glutton for punishment.  (Well, inflicting punishment.)  I’m going to have my son take the gifted test for the 3rd year in a row.   Our test is this Saturday.

I joked last year about taking the test just in case something happened at our school or his current RGC program was canned.  And guess what.  I’ve just found out that the principal at our school will be retiring at the end of this year (which makes me really sad.)  So SEE?!  You really never know what’ll happen from year to year.

I’m treating it mainly as a free assessment and a point of data to see if he is leveling off in some way (which will mean possibly helping him keep up more by supplementing at home.)  But of course part of me has no desire to see if his “giftedness” (which in his case is more “brightness” than true giftedness) is declining.  But ultimately I’m a data person and if there’s a way to know, I want to know.

I don’t think I’m going to do anything to have him practice this week.   Well, maybe practice a few logic questions.  Heck, what can it hurt right?  Just to get him back in the swing of things after a cushy winter break.   (As a side note, I mentioned to my son this morning that it was time to get “get back into the swing of things” which he interpreted as “get back onto the swingaling” which sounded a lot more fun to him.  It’s about time they installed that swingaling at the school!)

Explaining the test gets a little weird.  I’ll just tell him once again that it’s a test that some kids take to see what they’ve learned in school.   From what I understand there are plenty of kids whose crazy parents test them every year just to keep the options open.  The Decatur principal implied that parents consider switching from Edison to Decatur year by year.   Not sure if that’s true or not.

Let me know if there are any good stories about the tests or if your child is one of the few who spilled the beans about what was on it.

Back to the swingaling of work now…..

Entry filed under: Gifted / Classical Testing. Tags: .

Funding in CPS and pension issues Webcast for School Improvement Geeks

• 1. also obsessed  |  January 4, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I do know that Decatur kids have come to Edison….not sure if I know of any that have left Edison for Decatur but I’m not around there much so I’m sure it flips back and forth.

• 2. dazedandconfused  |  January 5, 2010 at 8:44 am

i heard this rumor about your principal and rushed over here to say “say it aint so!” i love that principal. i’m sorry for your loss. i also am retesting so you aren’t alone or crazy imho.
    good luck this weekend and i happen to think swingalin g is charming and sounds fun 🙂

• 3. Wondering  |  January 5, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Our experience with the gifted testing this week was different from what i’ve read about so far. The kids were taken out of the room in groups of about 20, and they returned the whole group at the same time. This must be a new thing to mask how long each child lasted?

• 4. RL Julia  |  January 6, 2010 at 10:23 am

A few years back the completely beloved prinicipal of my kid’s school retired. I think I actually cried when I heard the news. That being said, we (I am on the LSC) went on to hire another principal who is just as good (if not even a little better!) than the retiring principal -don’t despair, start going to your school’s LSC meetings and start talking about what you’d like to see in a new principal. There are many, many great candidates out there and you might end up pleasantly surprised.

• 5. 2 cents  |  January 6, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Beyond KDG the kids are tested in groups.

• 6. 2 cents  |  January 6, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Hey obsessed, have you noted variance in your son’s scores over the years. I noted a significant DROP with each subsequent test for my DD. I was wondering if this is true for you (or others) as well.

• 7. cpsobsessed  |  January 6, 2010 at 5:27 pm

My son’s went down like 3 point in the 2nd year (dropped below the normal cuttoff for RGC.)
    I have heard of everything – kids dropping a lot, a little, rising.
    I suspect between that test when they are 4 years old and when they are older it could probably vary since little kids are so unpredictable. I’d like to think it stabilizes as they get older.

• 8. Mari B.  |  January 6, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Wow, how does he feel about taking the test again?

Are you going to transfer him because the Principal is leaving for sure? I wonder who they have lined up to come in… hopefully it’s someone who brings as much or more to the table for that community.

I know a few parents who are either considering or actually having their children retake the tests this year, after being in the RGC’s program already. And I have to admit, I find it interesting… because if your child is already in a fantastic program, why try to fix what’s not broken? and as far as gauging where they are from one December to the next… hmm. Why put them through that if they already have school work and we’re able to see their progress through report cards and such?

From year to year, to test for a “free assessment” or “keeping the options open”, to me it seems as though monetarily it doesn’t cost anything; however, what the cost to our kids?
    They’re the one’s sitting there being questioned, not us.

I realize that this is for their education, I’m very concerned about the process and what it entails, to ensure my children receive the best cps education available as well. But I asked my son this year, while he is in Kindergarten at a RGC, “Do you want to try out a new school for 1st Grade?” and he said “No, I love my school.” I don’t care that another RGC is 3 minutes away. My son is happy and why go through the process all over again, if he’s not complaining AND he’s learning? There’s nothing to it.

• 9. Y  |  January 6, 2010 at 9:47 pm

We tested our DD the last two years when she was 4 (entering KG) and 5 (entering 1st). Her gifted score went down slightly the second year. Her classical score went up slightly the second year. I’m not sure if a change of a few points on either test is much of an indicator of a change child’s giftedness or capabilities. Also, are we sure the same test is being used each year? We may not be comparing apples to apples since so little is known about the test. Did the GEAP office even include a scale for the gifted scores last year?

• 10. cpsobsessed  |  January 7, 2010 at 3:07 am

@Y: Nope, no scale for last year which was really annoying. I keep meaning to call GEAP and ask them what was up with that.

@Mari: Good questions. No, my son does NOT want to take the test. He’s being bribed with McDonald’s and a new Nintendo DS game. I don’t know that him sitting in a room answering questions for an hour is that much of a “cost” to him. I do feel some guilt about the cost to the city (but I guess not enough to stop me.) Believe me, my son slacks his way through life at our house… he owes me one hour of answering questions!
    I personally am not into switching kids (at least my type of kid) to different schools unless there is a very very good reason so it’s highly unlikely that we’d do that. I just like having information.
    Also, whether we like it or not, CPS is about testing. And testing is what will get kids into the SE High Schools. And testing will help them get into a college. So in some ways, I think the more practice they have over the years, the better. Just a fact of academic life.

• 11. chicago parent  |  January 7, 2010 at 8:12 am

Testing gives you options. It’s only a few hours out of your life & your son’s life on one Saturday. If you find out more about the new leadership & want to move schools because you do not like what you hear, then you have options. If you neglected to get tested, then you have no options.

• 12. C  |  January 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I think testing is only a small component of academic life and a very narrow measurement of intelligence. Testing is merely a snapshot of a student’s academic potential taken from a camera with a very limited scope. There are many other factors that contribute to positive academic outcomes well before testing.
    I think time is best spent taking that Saturday morning and visiting a museum or going out to the park instead of retesting. I think it sends kids the message that is perpetuated throughout society: intelligence is measured by a score on a test, which is not true. Though CPS sends that message, I think it is important to teach our children that education is about learning, not testing well or getting good grades.
    By the way, it takes more than just testing to get into SE high schools and college and grad school.

• 13. Coonley Parent  |  January 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Principal K. has done amazing things for Coonley, it is a true loss. But I know that the LSC will do a great job with prinicipal selection. My hope is that the AP applies he is awesome. So if you are looking at the school, don’t let the change sway your decision. I pinch myself on a daily basis, I’m so thrilled to have a child there.