New magnet admission policies
Thanks to Hopeful for posting the following news from today’s CPS board meeting.
“It appears from the website that the board has approved the proposal with one small change. Instead of 50% of remaining spots going to proximity kids, after siblings get as many as are available, only 40% will. The other 60% goes into the general lottery.”
So the new changes in the magnet schools for this year will be:
-Siblings get priority
-40% of remaining spots will go to neighborhood kids (how do we even know what the boundaries are for magnet schools?)
-The remaining 60% of spots will be given out by general lottery which no longer is divided on race, but on 4 socioeconomic groups based on your Census tract.
This system will be in place for one year.
So, I totally get the sibling thing. I pretty much get the socio-economic thing instead of race.
What I DON’T get is the neighborhood preference for the magnet schools. I just have not read one thing that explains what CPS is trying to do with this policy. Is it to reduce bussing? I truly don’t see any other point in making these hybrid schools. Does CPS want to slowly phase out (or slim down) the current magnet school system? I’m not totally opposed to that since it would force families to stay in their neighborhood schools and work for improvement.
I just want to know the motivation because I need to know what’s up their sleeve. Or if nothing is up their sleeve, why is this change happening?
Yes, I’m a little resentful of families who happen to live close to the magnet school and have suddenly lucked out. And I guess if I knew that CPS had a bigger plan I could take the “unfairness” of it right now. But I can’t process it because I just don’t get it.
Does that mean that some families have 2 neighborhood schools now? They must, right? So you might buy a house in the Stone district, but you can’t count on getting in, so you need a backup. Will parents move into the magnet areas in hopes of getting an edge?
I’m curious to see what’s going to happen. And I really don’t envy the parents who get to be the guinnea pigs this year.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.