North Side High School Initiative – More Info

November 9, 2009 at 12:58 pm 6 comments

I got further info on this group.  As you can see, it’s basically still in the infancy stage – trying to figure out what the goal is and how best to proceed.  I think it is pretty clear that there will be a high school crunch in the city down the road if people continue to opt to stay here.   I think most parents would like to know there is a good, safe high school option that their child has a reasonable shot at getting into.  Ideally that school would involve a child getting up at the crack of dawn and taking public transportation halfway across town as many do now.  It’s also sad to think of our kids all going their separate ways when High School comes around, which is also the case now.

The million dollar question is how much capacity is needed, where, and how to decide who gets in.  I don’t begrudge North side parents for taking the lead and wanting to work locally.  I think that is how most of the best things happen in CPS.  I don’t know that I’d be willing to bust my butt to get another Selective Enrollment high school built, knowing my kid has a million-to-one shot at getting in. Activism happens at a personal level.   If anyone sends me a link to a group that is doing the same in any other part of the city, I’m happy to post that as well.  Anyhow, here’s the scoop:

Thank you all for your interest in our group.  Our mission statement is as follows:

We are parents concerned about solving capacity issues and creating/improving options for secondary education on Chicago’s north side.

Our short term goals have included data collection and member recruitment.  Now that our group has grown, we are ready to assign specific tasks to volunteers.  On Monday we are hoping to recruit people for the following tasks:

1)       Organize small groups at public and private elementary schools on the north side (wards 32, 43, 44, 46, 47) to attend high school LSC meetings and CPS board meetings.

2)       Develop our website.

3)       Collect data from area high schools and compare/contrast with performance data from selective enrollment high schools.  Essentially, we are hoping to “diagnose the problem” in order to create solutions for viable high school options.  This will be a multi-step process.  I believe the first step is bringing all the information together to understand the disparities between regular and selective enrollment high schools.

If interested, please let us know where you would like to help and we will have someone contact you.

northsidehsi@gmail.com

Entry filed under: High school. Tags: .

If you read this before Friday at 2pm: Re future North Side high schools My God, the world’s gone crazy! Magnet school changes…

• 1. Amy  |  November 10, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Does anyone know why the 33rd Ward seemed oddly omitted from this list – or anything west of the river for that matter?

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  November 10, 2009 at 2:46 pm

What?!! I didn’t even realize my own ward isn’t on there. I can never remember my ward #.
    I’m assuming that the group of parents who got together are from the wards that are included. Probably if a bunch of Ward 33 people joined in it might be included. So much for riding their coat-tails…..
    Of course if you think about the reality of the situation from a fixed-budge POV, if this group screams for a school that is just for their kids, what are our chances of getting yet ANOTHER high school on the west side of the river? And vice versa. Someone somewhere is going to end up feeling screwed. I can sense it already.

• 3. cpsobsessed  |  November 10, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Sorry, I have no idea why the font on this post is so small.

• 4. Amy  |  November 10, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Well if this group is all about getting these new HS’s in the aformentioned wards I don’t know if it makes sense for me to get involved if I’m not living in those wards. I guess I don’t fully know what the group is aiming for, but I’m guessing it’s fairly self serving which I have no problem with but wondering if they might consider other wards to be a part of this or do we need to start our own WOWHS group (West of Western!) Anyway, commend any efforts to expand strong educational opportunities so I guess I’ll just have to find out what they are up to!

• 5. dave4118  |  November 12, 2009 at 7:32 am

i’ve always felt elementary schools are neighborhood concerns, but high schools are regional concerns, so it doesn’t bother me that my 33rd ward isn’t included.

• 6. Amy  |  November 12, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Agree – just not sure if this group is interested in new regional HS options or are trying to push for small neighborhood HS’s that only residents in those neighborhoods can go to. And if it’s regional, does the region include opportunities for those outside the wards mentioned.