If you read this before Friday at 2pm: Re future North Side high schools

November 6, 2009 at 10:38 am 13 comments

I just got this via email this morning.  If you have a minute, feel free to email Hub’s assistants.
I’ll try to find out more about it and report back.

Can you please cut and paste this message and send it to the two email addresses listed below– they are Ron Hubeman’s 2 asistants.  We need to show CPS that there are a whole bunch of concerned taxpayers in Chicago who support improving public education.  If we can get as many emails as possible to Huberman before tomorrow’s (Friday’s) meeting, we can demonstrate the size of our group.  We NEED to show our numbers before tomorrow so start recruiting friends to send him emails.  Copy and paste the mission statement in your email to your friends and ask them to use it in their email.  The meeting is scheduled Friday at 2:00.

“I am writing to inform you of my support for the North Side High School Initiative.  We are citizens concerned about solving capacity issues and creating and/or improving options for secondary education on Chicago’s north side.  We are residents from the following wards: 32, 43, 44, 46 and 47.”

mnburgos@cps.k12.il.us
galicea@cps.k12.il.us

Entry filed under: High school. Tags: .

Elementary School Rankings North Side High School Initiative – More Info

• 1. Another mommy  |  November 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I did my part, I live in the 46th ward. My older son is in kindergarten at a high performing magnet and I am already thinking about high school. My other son is only 2 yrs old. What if they doesn’t test into a Payton, Young, Northside, Jones, or Lane Tech? The way it looks now, a private school is our only other option of providing them with a decent education. I can absolutely see why many families run to the ‘burbs after 8th grade. Besides Lincoln Park HS what other “good” public high school choices do we have? …I might have to start saving now for high school along with college.

• 2. you need to relax  |  November 6, 2009 at 6:29 pm

What is the North Side High School Initiative and why should I send an email without knowing what it is? Explanation please.

Another mommy–you have 8 years–a lot can happen. Relax and enjoy.

• 3. LR  |  November 6, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Sorry I didn’t see this in time. But wanted to say I agree, I don’t think it hurts to start raising our voices now. Change doesn’t happen overnight – it might take 5 years or more to get some more decent options for high school on the north side. I think our current public high school is Amundsen – and last time I checked, the graduation rate there is around the average for the city – just above 50%. Think about going to high school in an environment where half your freshmen class ends up dropping out. We can sit back and hope that changes – but I don’t think it’s going to.

• 4. Jennifer  |  November 9, 2009 at 10:19 am

“I actually don’t know anything about this intiative specifically, but clearly it’s something we can all agree on.”

I can’t say that I do. Why would I want to support a group with the goal of helping only one portion of the city? It is not only the North side that suffers from a lack of high-performing public HS options. The group is compartmentalizing the city. Why do they ask for support as if we are all North-side focused?

It saddens me. Not so much that the group exists (hey, go for it), but that it is assumed we will all jump on board. Am I on the wrong site?

• 5. Coonley Mom  |  November 9, 2009 at 11:59 am

I am on the right site, and I applaud any group trying to improve and support the CPS schools. Just as I would support a South side group, West side group or you name it side group when they try and improve schools. A group should not be torn down because they are trying to improve their local schools. We all should support each other. I find it very sad that people would choose to find negativity in a group of parents that are working hard to stay in this city and improve the public schools that our children may go to some day. Even if you choose not to support a group, does that mean you have to knock that group? It is my hope that we can find support with each other, no matter what side of town we live in.

• 6. Mayfair Dad  |  November 9, 2009 at 12:24 pm

The Northwest side, specifically the 39th Ward, desperately needs a new regional High School.

Northside College Prep was originally promised to us as a regional High School, paid for with local TIF district funds – and then opened as a citywise SE high school attended by a small fraction of neighborhood kids.

Albany Park Multicultural Academy, a 900-student state-of-the-art junior high school built with local TIF district funds – redesignated as the citywide SE Edison Gifted Center attended by a small fraction of neighborhood kids.

I suppose we should be thankful our kids have the priviledge of taking the expressway 45 minutes to Taft HS instead of attending Roosevelt Prison Prep.

Whatever happened to plans to open an International High School on the site of Kmart on Elston Avenue? Is that the North Side High School Initiative? I though MacArthur Foundation + Bill Gates were going to pursue this.

• 7. ?  |  November 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I’m still trying to figure out what the group is and does.

• 8. north side  |  November 9, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Having just gone through the 8th grade open houses, it is interesting that so many people from Beverly are thinking of traveling north to high school.

• 9. Y  |  November 9, 2009 at 7:34 pm

The major issue for the entire city is the lack of good, solid second-tier high school options, which creates a lot of anxiety among parents who have had positive elementary school experiences. There are great selective enrollment high schools.with some on the south side not performing as well. After you go beyond the SE schools, most of the remaining high schools aren’t viewed as an option for parents. Lincoln Park and Von Steuben are viewed fairly positively, maybe even selected programs at Taft or Mather. Then, the drop-off is precipitous. There are not many parents who would choose their neighborhood high schools as an option – Lake View, Senn, Amundsen, Sullivan, Roosevelt, Schurz, etc.

Mayfiar Dad – Albany Park Multicultural Academy sill exists. The Edison RGC is just co-located in their building.

• 10. chicago parent  |  November 9, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Even though a school can draw students from all over the city, location is a critical part of any student’s or parent’s decision in determining which school to attend. The fact that schools on the north side or downtown in the Selective Enrollment group have significantly higher admissions scores than schools elsewhere indicates that these schools are much more selective and their location indicates that there is a need for another school having the same type of caliber academically as a Selective Enrollment school. The north side of Chicago is significantly underserved via high schools relative to other parts of the city — just a fact folks supported by the data. I think that the north side needs another SE school, not a neighborhood school. A top caliber school located on the north side. Neighborhood schools do not have a clear enough mandate to pursue academic excellence and therefore will never attract the best on a consistent basis.

• 11. cpsobsessed  |  November 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm

All very good points.

Y, I think you hit the nail on the head about the “precipitous” drop off beyond the few top schools. That is the thing that freaks people out about not getting their kid into an SE high school.

• 12. Y  |  November 10, 2009 at 1:23 am

I’m not certain there are enough students for additional SE high school programs. It looks like the scores of admitted students are getting higher at almost all schools and are nearly impossibly high at the top three (NSCP, Payton, and Young). However, Lane and Jones seem to be more accessible, relatively speaking. Does it make sense to have more SE programs when students scoring in the 80th percentiles are getting into SE programs? These are good students but will likely make up the lower ranks of their graduating classes from a SE school. I think they will have a more difficult time getting recognized when applying for college. Would these students be better served at a neighborhood high school with solid academics? They would likely do well, be at the top of their class and have a chance of standing out when applying for colleges if their high school had a decent reputation.

Here’s the CPS published data on this year’s SE enrolled students:

• 13. Mayfair Dad  |  November 10, 2009 at 10:35 am

Y- you make your case very well. Precipitous drop-off is accurate. As the parent of a 7th grader enrolled in a gifted program, I am “living the drama” right now. For our family, its SE or suburbs. There are no other options. He’s a bright kid and I watch his grades like a hawk via Parent Portal, so I think it will work out. We will shoot for the top and hope for the best but likely land at Lane Tech, which is actually close-by and a good school.

As for Albany Park Multi Culti, the attendance boundaries include Hibbard, only. For now. The co-sharing schools routine is smoke and mirrors, but if (when) Edison RGC takes over the entire building and that opens up more gifted seats, maybe not a bad thing if your kid qualifies.

The point I was making is local TIF districts pay for these spectacular institutions of learning but local kids do not benefit. And I disagree somewhat with Chicago Parent – we need a great high school for all of the bright kids currently in top-performing Region 1 neighborhood elementary schools. Maybe with a 5th stanine or above requirement and/or special focus like Von Steuben (to weed out the gang-bangers).