The Big Book of Schools

October 14, 2009 at 12:54 pm 7 comments

Every year, CPS prints a giant phonebook-style guide to the Elementary and Preschools.

Their track record of getting it out hasn’t been stellar.  In fact last year I believe it was distributed to the libraries about 3 days before the end of the application period in December (that isn’t an exaggeration.)

I tried to find the 2009-2010 guide online but it’s been taken down so I called the CPS office who distributes it, ready to give them grief for taking so long.  To my great surprise I spoke to a very nice helpful human who says they are aiming to have it out by the end of October.  She pointed out that the book is really a year early since it is for next school year, at which point I pointed out that in fact it is not early, but in fact LATE given that the application period will end 7 week s after the book comes out.  (I did compliment them on being earlier than last year though.)

She says she’ll contact me when it’s ready.  Yes, I could not believe I was speaking to a CPS employee.  So we’ll see….. when I get the word I’ll let people know.  These are usually available in the libraries and park district buildings.  In the meantime, the CPS web site allows you to look up each school but it is a bit more time-consuming.

Entry filed under: Applying to schools. Tags: .

Great new DVD/CD The 20th Day of School

• 1. CPS Montessori Mom  |  October 16, 2009 at 7:18 am

I am a big follower of the Elementary school book. The reason it comes out after October 31st is because legally they cannot print ISAT test scores until they are officially out. The date IL. test scores are posted to the public is OCT. 31st.
    It is nuts that every year we are given this small window of time to look over this book. I like to think of it as my CPS Bible!

• 2. Mayfair Dad  |  October 16, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Something your readers might find interesting:

• 3. cpsobsessed  |  October 17, 2009 at 5:06 pm

That makes sense about the date for the test scores, although the woman I talked to made it sounds like it’s in print right now (but taking a long time because it’s so huge.) So if they aim to release it Oct 31, I want to see it in public before mid-December!

• 4. another mommy  |  October 19, 2009 at 7:24 am

I remember going through this last year. I didn’t realize these books were given out just 6 weeks before the applications to schools are due for the upcoming school year. This simply isn’t enough time for parents to ponder over schools. Some parents are not as obsessed as we are! (shocking) I remember getting my son tested for the gifted/classical schools and ran into a friend who wanted her daughter tested. She damn near missed the deadline b/c simply she didn’t know it was fast approaching. CPS must do a better job of getting the books out to the public sooner, or push the school deadline back.

• 5. Mayfair Dad  |  October 19, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Found the Options for Knowledge booklets in the Disney II school office on Saturday, but did not see any at Jefferson Park. I did not check the public library.

• 6. cpsobsessed  |  October 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Another mommy – you’re right! I’m all fired up now. If that woman actually calls me back I’m going to be more adamant about how dumb it is to issue them so late! I see nothing on the main CPS.org page about it. Ergh.

• 7. another mommy  |  October 21, 2009 at 2:34 pm

@ cpsobsessed-

I think the books should be out 6 months before applications are due ( I know that’s asking for a lot!). There is no way those books are going to reach everyone in the city that needs them in the time frame they are giving them out.