First grade off to a good start

September 10, 2009 at 11:22 am 10 comments

Well, my son skipped off into the school with nary a glance back at me today.  It fills my heart with joy that he’s not clinging to me whining about having to leave but also makes me sad to realize he’s OK off on his own.

I suppose a week in seclusion with your mom fighting lice could make any kid ready to break free and hang with some other 6yo boys.  By they way, if anyone gets lice, get in touch.  I am now an expert.

So far first grade seems more “grown up” that Kindergarten was.  The kids have to take responsibility for their own lunch tickets, put stuff in the teacher’s In box, get stuff into their folder from the Out box, AND put their own chairs down in the morning.  Hard to believe it’ll all get accomplished.

Homework is now once a night, due the next day which’ll be interesting and possibly challenging.  I was just discussing with other parents this week how to motivate kids on the homework issue.  Money?  Make them tell the teacher they didn’t do it?  Take away all fun stuff until it gets done?  Oh, the nagging I will be doing.  I dread it already.

So far so good though.  My little grump reported that the first day was fun which makes me happy.  His teacher attended CPS for elementary and high school (and not that long ago, I might add.)  I should talk to her some time to get her point of view on CPS.  For the record, she attended an Ivy League school, which can give us all hope.

Entry filed under: My school experiences, Uncategorized.

These jerks are keeping my son out of school! The CPS school day

• 1. aevans  |  September 10, 2009 at 1:59 pm

My son started kindergarten at a classical school…first night, homework. And I was scared the complaining he did on the first night might be indicative of his being in the wrong place. Glad to know there are others who are in the nagging box 😉

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  September 10, 2009 at 10:55 pm

So for all us inquiring minds, what is the Kindergarten homework for the first week in a Classical school? I remember being scared at Decatur when they said the kids needed to be ready to do 1st grade work right from the beginning.

• 3. aevans  |  September 11, 2009 at 4:42 am

CPSobsessed, the first night we had to do a projecty page that was titled “all about me” with pictures of meaningful people/things and captions–both sides of the page. Mommy realized the second side needed to be done after re-reading the directions.

The other two assignments have been relatively easy; however, I did receive a note home that stated he must read forty books this year and twenty of those must have a book report.

• 4. kr  |  September 11, 2009 at 12:03 pm

No homework yet in kindergarten at Decatur…unless I missed something in his backpack. Quite possible since I’m rather out of it after the HORRIBLE commute there and back!
    My son does seem to be having fun though.

• 5. the heckler  |  September 11, 2009 at 6:09 pm

my 3rd grader has no homework this week, is totally ecstatic about school and her teacher and the first words out of her mouth when I picked her up on Tuesday were “it was awesome mom”

oh, neighborhood school by the way

(I’m resorting to the money for when homework does start which will be on Monday. It’s just one of 6 things she needs to do for allowance and I simply stated it as “no complaining about homework”. She’ll do most anything for CASH)

• 6. curious  |  September 12, 2009 at 8:34 am

Okay, explain this to me. My KDG son attends school from 8:00 until 2:30. My second grade daughter attends a different school from 9:00 to 2:45. I don’t get it. Why is her school day 45 minutes shorter? I’m surprised all of the teachers don’t shorten their day like this. Besides, it really messes up the pick-up schedule.

• 7. chicago parent  |  September 12, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Do both schools have the same amount of recess? This could account for the difference.

• 8. also obsessed  |  September 12, 2009 at 8:32 pm

to curious:
    My son also attends the 8:00-2:30 school. It the only CPS school in the city with that schedule I believe. So, I asked the teacher about it last week, as regular CPS hours are 5:45 hours (i.e. 9:00-2:45)

First off: (she didn’t say this, I am): I pick my son up at “2:30” but he is out there at about 2:23. I believe instruction, or the school day there, ends at 2:15 and the last 15 minutes is getting everyone out the door.

SO, that being said, school runs REALLY from 8:00-2:15, exaclty a half hour more than a regular CPS schedule.

SO, she told me that the teachers voted to stay the extra half hour…they all had to agree on it. THEY DO NOT GET PAID FOR IT, she said, they decided they just wanted to make sure the students got enough recess (they get 2 per day). I thought that was quite admirable. I wish other schools would do that too, but, unless all the teachers on staff vote yes, you run into Union issues with hours and what not. And I am sure it is a very touchy subject.

Alcott, for instance, had enough surplus budget this year to pay for one extended day (Tuesdays). They had to meet Union pay standards to do it to make sure the teachers got compensated. That is admirable too, but not many schools have that kind of money coming in from parents.

I met with Mr. Huberman on a auction-won lunch a few months ago, and that same question came up, about extending the school day. He said to extend the regular CPS schedule 15 minutes for each school would cost like 4.5 million dollars….or something like that..it was an outrageous amount…but it was based on Union salaries…..15 minutes more each day for every teacher, and there are what 400 elementary schools in the city and how many teachers at each school?

Anyway, that is why our school has longer hours…and it was soley because of recess, at least that is what I understand.

• 9. CPS Mom  |  September 14, 2009 at 11:47 pm

My second grade classical son’s teacher ate us alive today for homework and it’s for the rest of the week. After a lot of threatening no video games my son was tamed into the child I knew he could be. He finished his homework quickly! My other child’s magnet school seems to be a little slower with homework vigor. Should I stay out of it or ask what’s up with the homework!?

• 10. CPS Dad  |  October 6, 2009 at 2:11 pm

“the 8:00-2:30 school. It the only CPS school in the city with that schedule”

Bell is 8:15 to 2:45, w/o any nonsense of the last 15 minutes being “get out the door” time.

Also, Bell KDG has homework 4 days a week, and it starts the first day–i.e., there is homework due the first *real*, full day of school.