These jerks are keeping my son out of school!

September 7, 2009 at 6:57 pm 5 comments

Ha, bet you thought I had something exciting to complain about.
Nope, the jerks in question are lice. My 6yo son and I both have them plaguing our heads so he can’t start his first day of 1st grade tomorrow.

I think we’re close to being “cured” but I want to be totally sure because I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy (well, if I had one I might go shake my head in their general direction.) It’s not so much the creepiness of the lice themselves that get you down, it’s the ongoing process of treating, combing, and doing laundry that make me glad I wasn’t a scullery maid back in the olden days. It is HARD work! Well, for me. My son has enjoyed a week of Nintendo and movies as I pick his head but he misses seeing other kids.

Word is that CPS has no policy preventing kids from attending school with lice on their heads since its not and actually illness. Our school had a big outbreak last year and guess who got on their soapbox about how kids should be free and clear before attending? Heh heh. So now I have to put my money where my mouth (or head) is. I can cope but I really don’t know what we’d do if I were a working parent.

We’ve been through a few treatments and are now on to the more out-of-the-box solutions so we’re both sitting here with heavy heavy conditioner on our heads covered by shower caps. I’m praying that nobody comes to the door because we look like greasy-haired cafeteria workers.

I hope everyone has a good first day tomorrow. Report back with any good stories. All you Kindergarten parents try to keep a dry eye.

Entry filed under: Random topics.

CPSObsessed hitting the airwaves! First grade off to a good start

• 1. jusand  |  September 8, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I totally agree with you. My kids’ school had also had a big breakout- for weeks. and IMO, it was coming from the same family since the outbreaks were from grades their kids were in and i think it was known that the kids had it. i would keep my kids out of school too…

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  September 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm

We had a similar situation in our private preschool. In theory, they had more leeway than CPS in keeping kids out of school. They would do head-checks at the door, etc. Yes every day all the preK kids would be lined up for pickup all jammed together on the floor…. perfect place for lice to jump ship to another kid. The lice kept coming back and coming back.
    Finally one mom who suspected another family was slacking off on the treatment suggested (in a friendly way) that she’d come over and help them with a plan for laundry, etc. I think that may have helped.
    I used to be critical of the people who weren’t treating it seriously but wow, now I see why people slack off. It is like a 24-hour job to keep it going!

• 3. lice freak  |  September 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I feel your pain – after several failed treatments and days missed of school I caved and spent a lot of money at Hair Fairies in Lincoln Park – but it did the trick and for the peace of mind and results it was worth every penny.

• 4. dazedandconfused  |  September 9, 2009 at 7:21 pm

oh you poor thing. our private preschool last year had huge breakout [including in our class] and we were greeted daily with the big plastic bags and daily checks. My sister is an elementary school teach and many times had it and i remember mocking her so i assume i’ll get it as my reward. but so sorry you missed the first day. remember GREASY IS BETTER 🙂 good luck!

• 5. how to use multiply css editor  |  June 23, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Good info. Lucky me I discovered your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve saved it for later!