GEAP / Magnet Fair

July 30, 2009 at 1:54 pm 5 comments

A reader has passed on this information.  I believe this past year was the first time CPS held this fair.  It’s a great idea as a way to get familiar with the schools without going all over the city.

Hi, just wanted to pass along some info on the GEAP fair for this year. The 2009 GEAP/Magnet fair will be Oct.3, at Malcolm X, 9am-12. That is a Saturday. I just spoke to someone at the Office for Academic Enhancement on July 28th..and that is the stated date.

Entry filed under: Classical Schools, Regional Gifted Program. Tags: .

A glimpse at schools in the outside world Pre-School for All Funding

• 1. also obsessed  |  July 30, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Does MAGNET mean true magnet or does it include magnet cluster?
    Have any idea?

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  July 30, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I *think* it means true magnet. I’ll investigate….

• 3. Y  |  July 30, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I attended the GEAP fair this past year at Whitney Young. I only recall seeing RGC, Classical, Academic Centers, and possibly some magnets represented. It was in the small gym with maybe 20-30 schools total. I don’t think the magnet clusters were included since I don’t believe they are within the GEAP umbrella. Of course as with things CPS, it could be different this year.

• 4. Sue  |  August 18, 2009 at 8:48 pm

What’s the point of going? I’m not related to anyone and can’t donate to them, so my kid won’t get in.

• 5. cpsobsessed  |  August 19, 2009 at 11:39 am

Aw, come on. You’re kidding, right? So you wouldn’t let your child apply to U of I because a few idiots have been granting favors?
    I seriously doubt that the gifted/classical programs are affected by this. There isn’t any discretion in these as far as I can tell.
    95% of slots are filled fairly and that’s still a lot.
    And personally, if a principal can get a parent who will make big donations to the school, I say let em in. CPS needs that. I don’t think it happens too often. Those parents go for the private schools.