CPS Gifted Programs in jeopardy?

July 23, 2009 at 4:52 am 5 comments

A few people have asked me about the recent (and massive) cuts to Illinois education funding that were voted in this week.  Some of the cuts:

The state board reluctantly slashed foreign language, arts and agricultural education programs. They sliced teacher and principal training programs and wiped out gifted education.
(Wow, Illinois has agricultural education programs?!  I would like to see a city version of that: Urban Education)

It certainly is disturbing to see “wiped out gifted education.”  My brain was racing with thoughts on where I’d want to send my son if his program was wiped out before school starts.  Neighborhood school? Butter up some magnet school principal? Homeschooling if I’m still unemployed? Beg for a spot at his current school? Boarding school? (Actually I just threaten that one from time to time.)

I spoke with the Asst Principal at our school today who had heard nothing about any upcoming changes and said he’d just spoken with the CPS Gifted Office today and they were moving forward for the school year full steam ahead.

Speculation is that CPS doesn’t actually get much (if any?) money from the state for the gifted programs so hopefully it won’t make an impact in any way.  Not like putting all the kids from the gifted programs back into the neighborhood schools would be a bad thing given that it would raise the bar a bit in the local schools, but then what would we freaks have to obsess about?

This is the web site for the group that lobbies for gifted education in Illinois.  I thought I’d see something here but nothing yet.

I wonder if this cut in state funding moves IL to #50 out of 50 states.  We’ve been hovering at #49 for a while.  Maybe we’ve finally earned the last place spot!  Which reminds me, I did actually ponder moving to the suburbs for a brief moment when considering a school change — that’s how dire it’s become.

Entry filed under: Regional Gifted Program. Tags: .

Home schooling done right Selective Enrollment High School Scandal? You knew this one was coming….

• 1. to cpsobsessed  |  July 23, 2009 at 8:03 am

I don’t think buttering up a magnet school principal is an option. Did you see this: http://cbs2chicago.com/investigations/CPS.Shakedown.Phyllis.2.1097298.html and this: http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/1681262,CST-NWS-skul23web.article

Maybe this explains the reason some of the parents of children with high scores that read this blog were complaining their children did not get into a school.

• 2. aevans  |  July 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm

FYI…Chicago acts as its own feduciary entity (spelling?). CPS is basically a state within a state. School decisions are made by our board of ed entirely aside from things such as state goals, certain regulations. I highly doubt if the state slashed gifted programs that CPS would act on that as well. Most other districts do not have schools designated as such–they have small programs housed within regular schools. Let’s face it–no one has to go through the hell we go through here in Chicago. (ps…I’m a CPS teacher)

• 3. Y  |  July 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm

CPS actually has an ag high school on the southwest side.

• 4. To aevans  |  July 23, 2009 at 8:39 pm

CPS does not rely on gifted funding because it has always been so little when it comes to funding from the state. All schools will have cuts of some sort.

• 5. brenda  |  July 24, 2009 at 7:36 am

I’m surprised that you’re surprised that Illinois has agricultural programs. A ton of this state is farmland.