Year-End Thoughts on CPS Kindergarten

July 11, 2009 at 7:04 pm 8 comments

Well, my son has completed Kindergarten in his CPS school (a neighborhood school with a new regional gifted program) so I figure it’s time to look back and reflect about the past year.  This time last year, my main concerns were about switching to a traditional classroom from a Montessori pre-school and concern about CPS’s image: (big classrooms, low budgets, too many rules and not enough creative teaching.)
Overall, I can say it was a great year.  The school was great, the teachers were great, and my son and his dad and I both ended the year happy and having made some new friends.  He’s learned a ton and is actually sad that he doesn’t get to go to school during the summer.  That is like music to the obsessive parent’s ears, no?

I expected the CPS school environment to be a bit chaotic, and it comes across that way at first.  But all the kids know where they’re supposed to be going and what they’re supposed to be doing.  By the year’s end, I came to see it as “energy” rather than commotion.

I really do love that energy of CPS schools.  I like being around the parents who have all come together to make this public school thing work.  It’s nice to meet people who live in the neighborhood and to feel like you’re part of a school and local community who can band together to celebrate the successes and lament the foibles of CPS.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well thought-out the lessons were.  Topics were integrated across reading, science, art, and their foreign language.  The pace of learning moved along briskly.  Discipline was handled well and kids (notably boys) weren’t overly singled-out for their inherent energy-fueled naughtiness the way I’d worried about after reading Raising Cain.  The days seemed to be quick-paced and active and the kids were kept engaged most of the time.  My son remarked quite often that he couldn’t believe the day was 6 hours longs since it flew by so fast because they “make it fun for kids.”  Good, good, good.

So what, you ask, were my complaints? (critiquing CPS being my specialty, of course.)  I think the number one issue I have is the class size.  I’ve heard time and time again that “a good teacher can handle a large class.”  Yes, I now believe that.  They can “handle” the class.  Our teacher did a fantastic job of keeping 27 kids happily under her control.  I just question whether even the best teacher can effectively teach that many kids at once.  At Center time, the teacher works with one table at a time and the kids are effectively teaching themselves the rest of the time.  Many of the materials seem decent for self-teaching, but it’s clear that a kid who needs some extra attention could easily fall through the cracks and a child who’s working well ahead of the class could be bored in 2 minutes.  At other times the teacher roams the room, stopping to check work, give feedback etc, but it’s very brief.  I noticed during handwriting time that many of the kids were writing their letter from bottom to top.  The teacher would never know this from looking at the final work, but if they’re to learn to go top-to-bottom, someone needs to sit and watch what they’re doing and suggest the corrections.  It’s sad to think about the kids in CPS who don’t have parents with the time/means/energy to make sure their kids are keeping up in class.  Even in a gifted class there are kids who are slower at learning reading or math than the others and could use an extra boost to help keep up with the rest of the class.

In terms of classroom experience, I’d love to see some longer work periods.  The day is fast-paced and lively as the kids are moved from activity to activity (which really works great for 6-year-olds.)  But I think wistfully about the Montessori idea of a “natural work cycle” where a child can finish their book or story or picture without being shuffled on with their thoughts incomplete.  I’d like to see kids get to choose a longer-term project to work on that reflects their own interests.  One kid in the class was really into the Titanic while my kid is into robots and another girl is into animals.  How about something that lets them integrate skills while following what excited them?  (Of course I can see my son choosing Sponge Bob or weapons as his topic of study as well and me being horrified.)

I wish there were more teaming up with parents to help us reinforce what’s being taught in class.  The kids got vocabulary words every week and I’d have like to have seen the list each week so I could use the words around the house.   I’d love the French teacher to give the parents some ideas for helping the kids practice when we don’t know the language.  I need to start making suggestions, I suppose.

As for the gifted element, our class seemed to run exactly as the neighborhood kindergartens did except that our kids’ workbooks were one grade higher.  This worked well this year as the kids needed to learn the basics of reading and writing but I do wonder if the program will shift more towards the “in-depth” style of learning that CPS describes as the plan for the gifted classes.

One of the main frustrations of CPS (it seems no matter where you send your kids) is communication.  It seems that some of the best educators have such a focus on the kids that they don’t think about what the parents need to know (What day is gym? What is Field Day?  When is X happening? (Oh, tomorrow? Really?))  Without word of mouth, a lot of information would never get around.
I think overall I’d say we were lucky to have found a gem of a school (and I think many parents in neighborhood schools would say the same thing about their own school.)  Let’s just say that I would do some things differently if I were running CPS.  For now, I’m certain I won’t run out of things to discuss in the upcoming school year.

Entry filed under: Kindergarten, My school experiences. Tags: , .

Interested in a new Montessori Charter School? Home schooling done right

• 1. Kdg is coming up  |  July 14, 2009 at 5:54 pm

How did your guy do with the long day? I’m not looking forward to doing homework with ‘crabby man’ after an 8am to 2:30pm ‘work’ day.

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  July 16, 2009 at 7:50 am

It took a few weeks to adjust to the long days, but then they seem to be fine. It helped to hang out on the playground and let him burn off some energy at the end of the day.
    But yeah, it seemed like the last thing he wanted to do was sit down to do homework. I know there were plenty of parents in the class who had their kids do the homework right when they walked in the door before they started to play but I’m too much of a pushover for that.
    We usually ended up doing the homework on the weekend when things are more relaxed and there’s more time but that’s probably breeding future procrastination tendencies.
    Another common homework time (maybe later in the year) is while dinner is being made – the kid can do a lot of it themselves. In fact I found that sometimes he was better off if I wasn’t hovering. I’d walk away for 5 min then questions why he was coloring when he needed to do his homework and he’d be like “I did it already.”

• 3. cpsobsessed  |  July 16, 2009 at 7:50 am

Diving in – I responded to the email you listed.

• 4. another mommy  |  July 16, 2009 at 10:25 am

This is really good to know! My son is starting kindergarten in the fall and I’ve been kinda wondering what a typical day will be like for him. My main concern was class size also. I guess if you are aware of what’s going on in the classroom and make sure he has every opportunity to reinforce what he is learning, it might not be so bad. My son is very talkative, like his dad, a social butteryfly. I plan on warning his teacher beforehand! Do they have teachers aids that help out in the classroom at your son’s school? At the school my son will attend, I believe they have one in each kindergarten class.

• 5. cpsobsessed  |  July 18, 2009 at 8:45 am

We were REALLY lucky and our class had an aide during much of the day. She was one of the bus assistants and is getting an education degree so she volunteered her time. This is a very rare situation though.
    The norm is NOT to have an aide in the classroom. Some classes will raise money to pay for an aide (in fact when I met Arne Duncan he mentioned that they did this for his daughter’s Kindergarten class.)
    If your school has one I’d love to know how they get the money for it!
    I wish more schools would even get 1 aide for the 2 or 3 Kinderclasses who could float between as needed. Even that would help!

• 6. Peggy  |  July 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm

CPSobsessed,
    Do you know about NU’s program, the Center for Talent Development? (I am mentioning it because you wrote about hoping to see more in depth work) I actually teach in their summer program and there are virtually NO worksheets or workbooks….it is all in depth, accelerated, compacted and incredibly hands on, project and subject based learning. I am teaching one class next week all about gross science….making boogers, studying blood, etc….to kids entering Kindergarten this fall. If your son’s school doesn’t offer everything you want (and really, no school does!) you might consider NU’s program. I am going to send my daughter next semester…..it is probably the coolest program I have seen in 15 years of teaching. It isn’t cheap, but definitely worth it for gifted kids.

• 7. cpsobsessed  |  July 23, 2009 at 3:57 am

Peggy, thanks… I have heard about that including the best endorsement – from an older child who goes there who raved about it. I saw a brochure at some point and it sounded fantastic. I’ll see how it goes next summer. I hope to be working so gotta figure out logistics. I’m sure I could handle the booger-making at home for now – ha ha.

• 8. CPS Kinder Teacher  |  February 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I love reading about your family’s experience in CPS. As a CPS teacher, I fully understand the challenges of teaching in an overcrowded classroom (I taught 40 full day Kinders) with little resources. I’m so glad that there are parents like you out there who value early childhood education and are invested in your child’s success. It gives me hope =)