The testing gods have spoken…

March 27, 2009 at 1:44 pm 16 comments

Well, it appears that the GEAP office either lost a bag of mail or it is hidden away at the central post office somewhere.  My son’s GEAP results letter has not arrived, nor have those of several friends.

Today I sent his father to the CPS office to retrieve it.  I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive.  I’ve heard of a few kids who’s scores dropped from last year.  And while I know logically that it doesn’t mean anything, I just really didn’t want to see it.  I know so much of that score depends on the kids’ mood, etc.  I have repeated this mantra to others until I am blue in the face and I firmly believe it.  Yet of course when it comes to my own child I fear it means that he’s leveling off to the norm.

So, he did indeed drop a few points on his gifted test score.  Didn’t get into any 1st grade programs as he’s now sitting at what is probably right below the minimum needed to get in anywhere.

So it’s all a crapshoot with a few questions here or there making or breaking your entry into a program.  He’s a bright kid who squeaked his way into a gifted program last year because he had a good test day.  If he were testing for Kindergarten this year it would be whole different ballgame, what with all these smarties testing so well.

Of course I worry a little that in a few years he won’t be able to keep up with the accelerated curriculum unless I browbeat him constantly.  But in the end, who cares?  As long as he enjoys learning, that’s all that matters.  And of course getting into a selective enrollment high school.  (ha ha.)

Speaking of browbeating, for those who wonder what Kindergarten homework is like, the work is easy, it’s the mental engagement that seem difficult, at least in this household.  Homework last night consisted of writing 5 words.  This took a good twenty minutes as I dealt with the following behavior:

-Writing the word “poop” where a word should go

-Drawing a poop and writing “poo” where a word should go

-Acting like a robot, making robot noises

-Tipping chair so it toppled over then denying he caused it

-Poking his armpit repeatedly with pencil

-Claiming that he “cannot control himself” when I question his behavior

And THAT is why I don’t like homework.

Entry filed under: Regional Gifted Program. Tags: , , .

Answers to some comments/questions GEAP letter never came

• 1. another local  |  March 27, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Wait, if you kid got into the gifted program for kindergarten, why are you getting tested again for fiirst grade?

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  March 27, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Why? Because I’m a freak. Truthfully, I figure it’s just good to have back-ups when it comes to CPS. Our program is new – I just wanted to make sure that come spring (now) that I had all options opened, just in case. From what I heard on the Decatur tour, kids are constantly re-testing to go between Edison and Decatur (or so she thinks.) You can read about my angst over it here:

• 3. brenda  |  March 27, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I have never heard that (about re-testing) and my kid is at Edison, one of my good friend’s kids is at Decatur. Seems like people are mostly happy to be in either school and they stay there—which is one reason why there are so few spots in the upper grades.

I can see re-testing if one is unhappy with their school, but not just for a “back-up.”

• 4. another local  |  March 27, 2009 at 3:23 pm

That is a bit crazy. In case you decide to do it again next year, I’d suggest attending the open house for GEAP. You can fill out the application right then and there and hand it in for a written receipt.

• 5. CPS addicted  |  March 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I thought you said you liked homework?

• 6. K's Dad  |  March 27, 2009 at 6:04 pm

My son isn’t old enough for GEAP testing, so I haven’t seen a letter, but I’m very curious about the letter.

Would someone mind posting the test of the letter/results without any private information?

Scanning it with private info whited out would be great.

I don’t know the letter length, so I don’t know if that’s a reasonable request.

Thanks.

• 7. PR  |  March 27, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Glad to hear my guy is right on par for other gifted classmates. Currently enrolled in parochial preschool he loves to sing “jesus loves poop this i know….” , angsts that he can’t make armpit farting noises, and generally refuses to complete any task that i direct him to do.

• 8. What?  |  March 27, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Ah yes, robot-itis is especially severe this winter…we have a bad case at our house too…

• 9. PR  |  March 31, 2009 at 10:11 am

We STILL have not received our daughter’s test results. Do you know who the correct contact person is?

• 10. CLACLC  |  March 31, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Hello and thanks for the blog. How did you get your test scores? My son has been accepted into the GEAP program but I cannot get the score(s) from them. I’ve called CPS and IIT per the 3/20/09 letter and they keep telling me to call the other number for the test scores. Also, any thoughts on the New Skinner North? Seems strange to me that they do not have a firm location yet for the ’09-10 school hear. And I’m not wild about the proposed location at 640 West Scott. It’s Cabrini Green. I’m skeptical about sending my son to Skinner North which is the only CPS school he was admitted to. My other option is the local Catholic school.

• 11. AK  |  April 1, 2009 at 9:08 am

Skinner North has a location. It will be in the Schiller Building. Of the current students only 16 families have chosen to stay at Skinner North. It will be k-3 for next year.

• 12. D.M.  |  April 1, 2009 at 9:40 am

The situation with Ogden/Skinner North/Schiller is bizarre. I can’t believe there hasn’t been more discussion of it. We didn’t make the GEAP cut-off for K this year (no surprise) and our lowest magnet wait-list # is 20 (not happening.) And now our neighborhood school Ogden is moving to a location we find unacceptable. So we have to move. Wish me luck keeping my husband in the city, he’s wanted out since we moved here a few years ago. Way to go CPS.

• 13. Kara  |  February 27, 2010 at 10:30 am

I STRONGLY suggest that your child not be pushed so hard. Defenders of the developmental approach maintain that academically oriented programs neglect young children’s needs for exploration and free play and that too much teacher-initiated instruction may interfere with self-initiated learning. Studies in the United States support the child-centered, developmental approach. One field study compared 721 four- and five- year olds from three types of preschool classrooms in Washington, D.C.: child-initiated, academically directed, and middle-of-the-road (a blend of the other two approaches). Children from the child-initiated programs, in which they actively directed their own learning experiences, excelled in basic academic skills. They also had more advanced motor skills than the other two groups and scored higher than the middle-of-the-road group in behavioral and communicative skills. These findings suggest that a single, coherent philosophy of education may work better than an attempt to blend diverse approaches and that a child-centered approach seems more effective than an academic approach. Tioday’s children are expected to succeed in school, to compete in sports, and to meet parents’ emotional needs. Children are not small adults. They and feel like children, and they need the years of childhood for healthy development.

As for the “poop” problem, families that encourage pretend play stimulate the development of theory-of-mind skills–the emerging awareness and understanding of their own mental processes and those of other people. As children play roles, they try to assume others’ perspectives.

• 14. LMAO  |  March 22, 2011 at 2:33 am

Kara, shouldn’t you be over at Waldorf? No, seriously!!! My son went there for EC, and I’m pretty sure I know you! Get outta CPS, haha! 😉 Heart, head and hands, much?

• 15. Marty  |  November 12, 2013 at 10:44 am

I have fun with, result

in I found exactly what I was looking for.

You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a nice day. Bye

• 16. http://bradleyfr.bloggspace.se/  |  December 17, 2013 at 5:50 am

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a totally

different subject but it has pretty much the same page
    layout and design.

Outstanding choice of colors!