Waiting for the test scores

March 21, 2009 at 9:33 am 16 comments

As I sit here today waiting for the gifted test scores to arrive, I’m reminded what a weird time it was last year when my son was tested before Kindergarten. For most of us, getting those test scores is the first external validation we have of our child’s intelliegence, which is such a surreal piece of information to be given.

In some ways, there is so much more wrapped up in that score than just whether a kid gets into a certain school or not.  It’s a validation of our own (or our spouse’s) intelligence, confirmation of our parenting skills, a glimpes at the opportunities thay may or may not open up for our child down the road, and their general proclivity for success in the crazy CPS system.

We somehow imagine that seeing a high score on the test means our child will be graduating from Harvard some day, forgetting about other factors like level of slacker-ness (the likely problem with my son,) the child’s personal interests (maybe they’d rather be a starving artist or give acting a try or open a plumbing business,) and of course the insane COST of Harvard.

Seeing a high score feels like it will validate all those classes we took at the Old Town School, the foreign language DVDs we ordered, and all the times we adeptly made teachable moments out of playtime.

I’m sure every person who takes the time to test their child thinks their kid is smart.  How can we not?  For crying out loud, they’ve learned to walk, talk, count, and more in just 5 short years.  That takes some brains, right?!

But that test.  That damnated test seems so random in who it decides is “gifted.”  Of all the kids I’ve known my sons age, I’d say nearly all of them have seemed to be of comparable intelligence.  And one kid stood out as uber-smart.  Yet the test scores were doled out – some high enough to get into a gifted/classical program, some not.  Frankly, I’m sure they could all do the work in those accelerated programs.  It’s just a matter of a few questions right or wrong on that test.  Of a few minutes staring off into the corner.  And the uber-smart kid?  Didn’t get high scores, which shows that the test isn’t the be-all-end-all.

So I guess what I’m saying is, when you rip open that envelope, try (if you can) not to let it mean more than it is – one little test on one type of measure.

UPDATE: Ergh.  Mine didn’t arrive today.

UPDATE 2: If I recall correctly, my son got a score of 127 on the gifted test last year and got into a program.  There WILL be more spots open after the first round of acceptances are taken/rejected.  Don’t give up yet….

Entry filed under: Regional Gifted Program. Tags: .

Some updates from GEAP Be patient, this is just the begining

• 1. Diving In  |  March 21, 2009 at 10:03 am

got our letter back from Stone ,we are #1 on waiting list.Taking it as a sign.I would think we are in.

• 2. Lauren  |  March 21, 2009 at 10:42 am

So I got these test scores. What do they mean? She didn’t get accepted to any of them, but said that there still is a chance until June 30th.

• 3. Lauren  |  March 21, 2009 at 10:52 am

So we received our daughter’s test scores and we weren’t accepted to any, but said that there was still a possibility until June 30th. Does everyone’s letter say that?

• 4. D.R.  |  March 21, 2009 at 11:16 am

I’m waiting as well.

My daughter got into Decatur last year, but we decided to keep her at her private school. I’ve slowly come to the conclusion that private does not mean that they can accommodate her desire to learn. I’m tired of being told I’m pushing her when *she’s* the one pushing *me.*

Where is that mailman anyway???

• 5. D.R.  |  March 21, 2009 at 11:41 am

Lauren — I’m no authority, but I know of 3 kids who got into Decatur last year initially, but whose parents decided to keep them at private school (including me/my daughter), thus opening 3 more spots *after* the initial letters were sent. The “until June 30th” part is probably for the spots that will open up as parents decline initial placements. But I could be wrong. Maybe I’ll know more when the mailman gets here!

• 6. D.M.  |  March 21, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Ug. I am so disappointed with our scores. Someone just posted on NPN that her 132 gifted/93% classical kid didn’t get accepted anywhere. Let’s just say, comparatively speaking, we might have been in the ballpark, but in the last row of the bleachers.

Ah well. My son is already looking at me like.. whatsamatta?? I need to shake this off. Maybe we will try for 1st grade next year. Meanwhile thanks so much for the blog and please keep it coming!

• 7. AE  |  March 21, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I am thoroughly displeased. My son got into Galileo, but did not get into a GEAP with a 98th percentile score on the classical test. I think there is something seriously wrong here. Do I hold out hoping we get a place at another school? Sigh. GD CPS!!!

• 8. Diving In  |  March 21, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Got our score back,127 ,130 is the cut off.Oh well….BTW, the letter says that, (scores higher than 130 are significantly above average)…my kid is “only” above average.

• 9. cpsmom  |  March 21, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I applied for my son to go to a magnet (no testing required) and I didn’t get a letter today or any mail for that matter. Is the mailman late or is the letter not coming today! I guess we will all know on Monday…

• 10. LR  |  March 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Yeah, I agree. My daughter got a 97% classical score and did not get in. I was shocked! But when I think about the numbers, Decatur is only taking one kindergarten class this year. And only a third of those spots are for non-minorities. So there are probably 1,000 people competing for 10 spots (assuming a class of 30)? Ridiculous! Maybe they should open another classical school somewhere on the north side…I don’t even know why they bother giving you the 80th percentile number. That’s a joke!

• 11. Diving In  |  March 22, 2009 at 8:25 am

I agree,CPS is dropping the ball.

• 12. PR  |  March 22, 2009 at 8:28 am

My son got 139 on the gifted and was (thank God) accepted at a school…what percentage is that? However, I’m concerned bcause he only got 77% on the classical part. Any insight?

• 13. SW  |  March 22, 2009 at 9:20 am

My daughter scored in the 99th percentile on the classical test but wash’t accepted at Decatur. She scored 123 on the gifted test. Its frustrating! Our letter says that there is still a chance but we have to wait until June!

• 14. mhf  |  March 22, 2009 at 10:14 am

The gifted and classical tests measure different things. Gifted measures thinking, reasoning and problem solving. Classical measures reading, math skills…etc.

• 15. Lauren  |  March 22, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Well my daughter got a 126 on the gifted and a 88 on the classical. Didn’t get in obviously, but don’t think there is anything to worry about for the person who was concerned about the 77%. I think that is why they have two different tests, because they want to see where they excel. It seems like most children do better on one than the other.

• 16. Dave  |  August 28, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Compared to other private schools, Harvard may be the most generous one in terms of financial aid. If your family makes less than $60,000, you don’t pay a dime in tuition. If you make up to $180,000, Harvard will expect you to pay no more than 10% of that ($18,000). And tuition right now is in the mid $40K.
    Not a bad deal, huh? Just get in.