Some updates from GEAP

March 18, 2009 at 4:53 pm 6 comments

I called the GEAP office this week to confirm that the letters will mail out this Friday, March 20th.  They will.  She said they take them right to the post office.

I also asked how many kids took the Gifted test for entry into Kindergarten this year.  1023 kids.  Wow, that is a lot of testing manpower required.

There are 7 regional gifted centers that start at the Kindergarten level, so there are 196 Kindergarten spots to fill.  Now, according to this interesting page I found on the CPS site, there are 28,975(!) Kindergarteners in the city.  In theory, about the top 2% of kids are truly gifted.  Based on that, CPS *should* have 580 gifted Kindergarten spots.  So by my calculation, they owe us 384 spots.  I also know that kids get into the programs who test below the 98th percentile.  So I think that means that there are some super smart kids out there who probably never take the test because their parents don’t know about all that testing crap and nobody takes the time to walk them through the process.  Hopefully CPS is serving those kids well.

Some other interesting facts I found:

-There are 666 schools in CPS (gotta love that)

-CPS is 9% White

-CPS is 84% Low Income

-CPS spends $11K per kid on education (sometimes I wonder if they’d do better just sending the whole city to private school)

Check it out for more facts:

Edited to add: I had to come back later to double check that 28,975 Kindergarten number.  Seriously, I can’t believe there are that many Kindergarten kids in this city.  It boggles my mind.  If only we could harness their energy somehow it could power the whole city of Chicago.

Entry filed under: Regional Gifted Program. Tags: , .

So I guess this means the cold war is over? Waiting for the test scores

• 1. Peggy  |  March 20, 2009 at 6:13 pm

I was really pleased to see your blog today. It seems to indicate that about 1 in 5 kids will get offered a spot at a gifted/classical school in the next few days. Those aren’t bad odds. Thanks, you made my day!

• 2. Diving In  |  March 21, 2009 at 10:05 am

Those are horrible odds, me thinks you are kidding

• 3. mlee  |  February 18, 2010 at 7:54 pm

hi, i know this post is a yr old, but the top 2% in the scoring of these tests does not mean 2/100. it’s calculated by the mean of everyone that’s taken the test. so top 2% equals to 1/1000 (or was it 1/10000?? sorry for not being accurate). most kids score around the 80’s-100’s, is what i heard.

• 4. cpsobsessed  |  February 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm

There used to be a percentile given for the gifted test score, and if your child got a 98% or above, it would mean they are more likely to be truly gifted (as opposed to just bright.)
    But based on those who take the test, the numbers don’t match the population. It’s skewed towards parents who value education, feel their kids are gifted, etc.
    I think I read that in the NY system, 20% of the kids test in the” top 10%,” so that’s a perfect example.
    The 2% is a reflection of the entire population, not the Chicago test-taking population.

• 5. Padma  |  February 23, 2010 at 8:47 pm

My son took the pre-k test today, was in for 30 mins cant get him to tell me what they asked….. something about apples and trees, circle and a line.

nervous mom

• 6. teachrmom  |  March 29, 2010 at 3:48 am

My daughter got her results today. Unfortunately, she was not accepted into any of the classical schools “as of today’s date.” I am so sad about this! She got 95 for gifted, and 127 for classical. Is this bad? Does she stand a chance for the second round selection?