High School Admissions: News from the baby sitter

February 22, 2009 at 10:18 am 5 comments

So I don’t know many people who have kids of the age who are entering high school so I get all my information from baby sitters.  Our current sitter attends Whitney Young high school (which to my horror starts really early which requires north side kids to board public buses freakishy early every day.)   She attended a well-thought-of private elementary school that comes with a hefty price tag that likely assures parents that their child will earn a spot in a selective enrollment high school.  She told me that the school really focuses on helping the kids prepare for the high school entry criteria.  She said that most kids also get private tutors for the high school admission test (that is given in 8th grade.)  So overall, it’s a group of kids who have some pretty good odds.

She told me last night that the high school acceptance letters went out this week and that the 8ths graders from her old school had basically “not gotten in anywhere.”  She said there were a few Latin and Parker kids and a Whitney Young but that the rest were in Lane Tech for now.  (So no Northside College Prep, no Walter Payton, and not the usual slew into Whitney.)

Of course being 14, she isn’t quite as in-tune with greater school trends as I would have hoped, so she couldn’t speculate as to what caused this.  Of course my brain went right to the fear that the log-jam is starting already due to more people staying in the city schools.

Without a doubt, more of these 8th graders will get admission in the top high schools by the time September rolls around.  My sitter didn’t get into Whitney initially this time last year, but was admitted before summer came around.

Don’t know why I worry already, it’s just when I pass some of these high schools that constantly have police cars out front, I can’t help but think “no way my kids is going there.”

Entry filed under: High school. Tags: .

Kindergarten: Pay to Play (and learn) Tribune’s ABCs of Preschool

• 1. Diving In  |  February 26, 2009 at 2:56 pm

We are going to need 2 more High Schools for “gifted” kids.

My kid is reading at a 3rd grade level and my bet is that she wont “pass” the “gifted” test….

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  February 26, 2009 at 3:04 pm

How do you know she is “reading” at the third grade “level?” Maybe that “private’ preK education wasn’t such a bad deal, eh? Gifted test doesn’t have any reading on it – maybe classical?

• 3. Diving In  |  February 26, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Gifted testing no longer has reading on it.i believe it did,but now that it would help my kid out it no longer does.On line has tests for home schoolers

• 4. CPS Mom  |  March 2, 2009 at 2:18 pm

There is no reading on either test. Some children have been accepted to classical or gifted programs and can’t read a lick!

• 5. jackie  |  September 25, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Testing for giftedness prior to the age of 8 or 9 is a crock, as any child psychologist/educational professional will tell you. The CPS “gifted” aka yuppie gifted (Lake Woebegone anyone ?), is merely an assessment of preparedness, run through the racial sausage grinder known as the federal desegregation consent decree.

Which was vacated yesterday.

Have fun!