CPS Survey on the School Application Process

January 2, 2009 at 10:49 am 14 comments

The CPS Website has a survey up right now to solicit opinions on how to improve the school application process.  (See lower righthand corner of the site.)  http://www.cps.edu/Pages/home.aspx

I hate to get excited enough to think that they’ll make changes based on the suggestions, but it can’t hurt to vent it a little, can it?   Feel free to pilfer from what I wrote (submitted in 3 chunks to circumvent the 2000 character max.)  My complaints are mainly tactical in nature.  I haven’t had the brain time yet to think about possible changes to the entire process (such as applying to all schools via one form or online, preference for school admission based on where you live, limit to this plan of opening more “options” to prevent kids from leaving their neighborhood schools, etc.)

The suggestions I submitted:

The current application process has a major flaw in that parents cannot be certain that their application is in the queue at a certain school.  Last year, some parents turned in applications in person only to later find out that they’d been lost/misplaced and were not included in the lottery for that school.   The offices at some schools are disorganized and can’t be trusted to handle the applications.  Applying should be done at a central level so parents can ascertain that they are on the list of the schools they are interested in.  Ideally, this could be checked online before the deadline so parents could confirm the status of their applications.  Also, the lottery results would ideally be posted online from a central source.

The current system is also inefficient in terms of the time that parents must spend touring schools with very limited enrollment.  Some of these schools (notably those that are the hardest to get into) give no or very few tours after the March notification date so parents must tour ALL these schools (in addition to other magnets, gifted, classical, neighborhood) before the notification date.  Many tours are 2 hours in length so it ends up being a waste of time for 95% of the schools you apply to since you don’t get in.  I feel that these schools should be required to give several tours in the weeks following the notification date so that parents can tour the schools AFTER they find out if their child has gotten in.

The individual schools need to be better informed about the new lottery system results.  Last year some schools gave out numbers that didn’t match what CPS had in their system because the school didn’t understand the waiting list numbering system.  I had to make several phone calls to clarify, and I still wasn’t sure who was correct since each office assured me that they were correct although one gave me #5 and one gave me #29 as my son’s spot on the waiting list.  Parents need to have correct information to weigh their decisions.

Entry filed under: Applying to schools. Tags: , , .

Options for Knowledge Deadline – My Trip to the Post Office Got a Test Date. Ugh.

• 1. engagement rings dublin  |  June 28, 2013 at 5:56 am

Genuinely when someone doesn’t be aware of after that its up to other viewers that they will assist, so here it happens.

• 2. Jorge  |  July 20, 2013 at 6:05 am

Hurrah! After all I got a webpage from where I be able to actually get useful facts regarding my study and
    knowledge.

• 3. wedding rings  |  July 28, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I just could not leave your web site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual information
    a person supply for your visitors? Is gonna be back incessantly to investigate cross-check new posts

• 4. debs dresses dublin  |  August 4, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this
    post and also the rest of the website is also very
    good.

• 5. visit the following website page  |  August 4, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers

• 6. engagement rings tiffany's  |  August 6, 2013 at 12:06 am

You can find ring of better quality if you are for following thing:.
    They are sold in rings and other jewelry around the world and it’s extremely rare. A vintage ring as an heirloom carries a sentimental value no modern rings can offer.

• 7. http://wallinside.com/  |  September 15, 2013 at 6:47 am

Before you submit any document, whether it’s your resume or CV or cover letter, check
    and double check your spelling and grammar.
    But in Islam believers are also encouraged to keep their money circulating
    through-out the community, as zakat and charity indeed, but also complimentary as risk capital.
    If you acknowledge that bank secrecy in individual
    countries can change, the requirement then is a structure which holds strong irrespective of financial privacy laws.

• 8. Mohamed  |  April 15, 2014 at 8:22 am

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone
    to do it for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to create my own blog
    and would like to find out where u got this from.
    cheers

• 9. watch million dollar arm  |  April 23, 2014 at 11:01 am

spam

• 10. download neighbors  |  April 23, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for finally writing about >CPS Survey on the School Application Process | CPS Obsessed
    <Loved it!

• 11. megapolis hack  |  May 13, 2014 at 7:17 am

Hi there i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this piece of
    writing i thought i could also create comment due to this good piece
    of writing.

• 12. web design raleigh nc  |  September 13, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I like looking through an article that will make men and women think.
    Also, thank you for allowing for me too comment!

• 13. recaro performance car seat reviews  |  September 24, 2014 at 4:49 am

Some buyers had problems with tires popping off or the stroller bag
    tearing. Nollie covers are among those experts producers of children’s couture car seat covers which not only facilitate you with
    provision of new car seat covers, but their wide variety of styling and stitching of those car
    seat covers is worth-seeing. Some models have lots of
    storage space in the back to hold supplies for long outings.

• 14. http://imgur.com  |  September 24, 2014 at 6:39 am

Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering
    which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting tired of WordPress
    because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good
    platform.