Disney II High School (and other schools still open)

April 13, 2013 at 8:12 pm 125 comments

Disney2

Will there be a proximity lottery and tiers as with other magnets?  I assume so…  And we’ve heard that Disney II elem kids will get automatic entry to this school, regardless of stanine, correct?

Who do you think the school will initially attract?  I feel like most kids have made peace with their high school decision so this is probably a good year to get in… when other people have already made up their minds about other schools.

I noticed that there are charters that are still taking students.  I guess they can’t pull any off the 10,000 kid waiting list?  (or whatever that number was…)

FROM CPS.

Disney II Magnet High School

Disney II Magnet School will expand to the high school level in fall 2013. The program will offer a college prep curriculum with an emphasis on fine

arts and technology integration. Located at 3900 N. Lawndale Ave., Disney II Magnet’s high school campus will open at the ninth grade and add one grade each year until it serves grades 9-12.

Students will be selected through a computerized lottery; to be eligible for the lottery, students must have minimum stanines of 5 in both reading comprehension and total math on their seventh grade ISAT (or another acceptable standardized test).  Students with an IEP or 504 Plan must have seventh grade reading and math stanines that equal at least 10.

Click here for an application.  Applications must be mailed or hand-delivered to the Office of Access and Enrollment, 125 S. Clark St., 10th floor, Chicago, IL 60603, and must be received no later than June 7, 2013, at 5 p.m.  (If you mail your application, it is strongly recommended that you enclose a self-addressed, stamped postcard/envelope with your application. The postcard/envelope will be returned to you as a receipt.)

CTE-College and Career Academies

Several CTE-College and Career Academies are still accepting applications.  Programs offered by the schools include Early Childhood Education, Business, Pre-Engineering, Culinary Arts, Game Programming and Web Design, and many others!  Click here for a list of schools still accepting applications.  Call the schools directly for more information.

Nobel Charter Schools

Four campuses in the Nobel Charter School network are still accepting incoming ninth graders:

Auburn Gresham College Prep:  8748 S. Aberdeen St.

Contact Ms. Ayala at 773-729-3400

DRW Trading College Prep:  931 S. Homan Ave.

Contact Ms. Loving at 773-893-4500

Johnson College Prep: 6350 S. Stewart Ave.

Contact Ms. Delgado at 312-348-1888

Rowe-Clark Math and Science Academy:  3645 W. Chicago Ave.

Contact Ms. DeJesus at 773-242-2212

For additional Noble campus enrollment information, contact 773-278-6895.

Other Charter Schools

A limited number of additional charter and contract elementary and high schools throughout the city are still accepting applications.  Click the links below for more information!

Elementary School Charter Options

High School Charter Options
About these ads

Entry filed under: High school. Tags: .

Pre-School for All – Surprise! New process for applying, starting TOMORROW! College Post #1

• 1. Falconergrad  |  April 13, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I get the impression that the neighborhood is trying to get more proximity seats than the usual. If that’s true, I think that is pretty crummy. They aren’t the only ones living right by a magnet school that their kids can’t get into.

I don’t know why Arena calls it a neighborhood school in this newsletter.

Can someone enlighten me? Do other magnet high schools have a radius that is less than 2.5 miles?

• 2. DIIMom  |  April 13, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Yes, the neighborhood wants more spots but DII is a true magnet school and will follow those rules unless CPS board decides differently. Everyone wants the best options for their children and the neighborhood is strongly voicing their concerns. You have to advocate for your children and these parents are doing that. Everyone should come to the next community meeting which is Monday April 15 at 5pm at Shurz high school. It is a great option to be heard- you will not get answers but your concerns are recorded.

• 3. Jen K  |  April 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

Current D2 students will automatically continue to the upper grades since this is one school, K-12 with two campuses. As far as who will apply…that will be interesting! When D2 opened, the application period came after the initial app period since, like now, the school location was approved later. My daughter got in that first year; we were enrolled in private school and decided to take the risk with a new public school because we could always go back to the private school. I imagine many kids from nearby neighborhoods who didn’t get SEHS programs will apply.

• 4. Falconergrad  |  April 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

DIIMom, IMO people advocating only for their OWN children is part of the problem. Why does this neighborhood think they deserve special treatment? I have seen no compelling arguments.

As a side note, why aren’t people agitating for more proximity spots in charters? Has that ever even happened?

• 5. Jen K  |  April 14, 2013 at 10:05 am

@ Falconergrad: It’s their right to express their options at the community meetings and up to CPS to determine if there are compelling arguments. Your option can be heard as well at those meetings if you come and share it. Let CPS hear from the CPS community as well.

• 6. SoxSideIrish4  |  April 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

4. Falconergrad | April 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

I don’t think this neighborhood is getting special treatment. And I’ve never seen anyone want more charter seats~there are abt 8500 unfilled now.

• 7. SoxSideIrish4  |  April 14, 2013 at 10:22 am

Oh, ok, I did read that DS11 wants the hs school to be 1.5, but I think CPS should stick w/2.5 radius if it wants to maintain it’s magnet status.

• 8. Portage Mom  |  April 14, 2013 at 10:29 am

The announcement of another quality option for high school is encouraging. I spoke to the DII principal and she mentioned she received a number of calls from other principals across the city. They were asking about the process of applying for an expansion. She also stated that there is a misconception that she is somehow politically connected and that’s how DII received approval for the expansion proposal. CPS made an open request for proposals citywide and DII was the only school requesting a high school expansion. I am hopeful with the approval of the DII High School expansion there will be more high school expansions across the city in the coming years.

• 9. anon  |  April 14, 2013 at 11:45 am

I also think it Disney 2 should stick with 2.5 miles like other magnet schools.Most high schools in Chicago have traffic issues just ask around. Shoot even the elementary and high school were Arena’s kids go have MAJOR traffic issues.Not sure if he would want to kick everyone who lived more than 2.5 miles out of the elementary school his child attends..I am sure traffic though isn’t the major issue at hand.

• 10. HS Mom  |  April 14, 2013 at 12:25 pm

@9 – most HS kids take public transportation so the change in traffic pattern should not be significant.

• 11. Family Friend  |  April 14, 2013 at 3:08 pm

In addition, Amandla Charter School at 6800 S. Stewart is accepting applications for 9th and 10th grades, as well as 5-8.

• 12. falconergrad  |  April 14, 2013 at 3:25 pm

@8 I have heard rumors about how and why Disney II came about so quickly. The principal does not need to have connections if someone else who wants to see something happen does. I am not saying that is the case here, just that the principal may just be part of somebody else’s plan. As far as expansion high schools, I don’t see this as a good or viable model for CPS. What is the point?

@9 what do you think is the major issue at hand?

• 13. Jen K  |  April 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm

@12 there will always be rumors. I can tell you that the D2 Principal, Staff, and parents on the proposal committee worked long and hard, going far beyond the CPS requirements prior to submitting the proposal. I’m not sure why you are taking such a negative stance when we are adding to available options in CPS.

• 14. falconergrad  |  April 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm

How is my stance negative? I am simply advocating for fairness.

• 15. Jen K  |  April 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm

@14 saying you’ve heard the rumors about how D2 was approved so quickly implies that it wasn’t earned through planning and hard work. Asking “what is the point” regarding HS expansion implies that it won’t help improve the current system. These are my impressions of your comments. If I have misunderstood you, I apologize.

• 16. Some Parent  |  April 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm

So, does it mean all the Disney II elementary students will automatically get into the high school? What about Disney 1 students? Can they automatically get in as well?

• 17. Falconergrad  |  April 14, 2013 at 11:53 pm

@16 yes all DII elem students automatically get in. I don’t think Disney students get any preference, someone please correct me if I’m wrong. There is info here:

@13 i was responding to @8 where the principal herself seemed to acknowledge the existence of rumors. I am not saying or implying any of them are true. I am not even sure if you are talking about DII ES or HS. My comment about expansion high schools is that I think it is a bad idea to tie ES to HS. I don’t know what you mean when you say improve the current system. Are you talking about grades? Test scores? Student safety? CPS’ application system?

• 18. Mich  |  April 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

@7 – actually the article notes DII current elementary proximity is reduced to 1.5 mile but they are proposing HS at 2.5 mile more in keeping with standard.
    @4 – I think people are starting to demand more options overall. The discussions here and elsewhere on Lakeview, Amundsen, Senn, are parents who know they don’t have SEHS and want to ensure their child gets the expected education locally. I think some neighborhoods though are not seeing the local option shape up as quickly as needed and want another option, expanding magnets is one solution to that.

• 19. Portage Mom  |  April 15, 2013 at 11:43 am

@17 Falconergrd – I believe Jen K was referring to the fact there are so few quality options for high school relative to the demand. DII’s expansion will add more spots for high school which are not there today so the expansion would improve the current system for high school IMO. The neighborhood schools have improved and more magnet elementary schools have been opened. Where do all these kids go after finishing elementary school within CPS? We need more quality options.

• 20. mom2  |  April 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Many people are quite happy with their current elementary school in CPS now – at least many on the north side, it seems. I would think if they could be guaranteed that their children will continue to go to high school with this same group of kids, with similar philosophy on education within the school, they would stick to “their” school’s high school and might not feel the need to go to a SEHS or move to the burbs. But, if like Alcott high school, Disney II and any others in the future, open up the school to tons of outsiders with lower stanine requirements in order to fill seats, then it won’t work. The parents will not feel that “their” high school is really the same as “their” elementary school.

• 21. HSObsessed  |  April 15, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I’ll be really interested in seeing how the D2HS works out in terms of drawing applicants. When Alcott HS and Ogden HS started just a few years ago (maybe 4ish?), they also had guaranteed admission to the HS for their 8th grade graduates (and still do). However, I know that as of about one year ago, very few of Alcott’s 8th graders opted to go to the Alcott HS, instead going to SEHS programs or LPHS. That may have been partly due to a somewhat far flung location of the HS, its small size, or lack of good marketing. I know they’re still struggling to fill their classes of 90 freshmen. (And as I said before, we live within the proximity border for Alcott HS, I sent in our application in fall 2012 for this admission cycle, and we never heard any results from them. Maybe it was just my one application, or maybe they’re disorganized, don’t know.) I trust that D2HS will get off to a stronger start all around.

• 22. SoxSideIrish4  |  April 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm

#20~I agree with you Mom2~ppl like their elementary neighborhood school around here where I live but either go to SEHS or Catholic for HS. However, since DS2 will be a magnet~the stanine is 5 requirement and 60% is open to the city. But bc it’s a magnet school~I think ppl will want to apply there and the kids going to elementary will probably want to go there as well. There’s always some who are need more challenge and will try for SEHS. Hope this turns out to be a good avenue for those that attend.

• 23. Mayfair Dad  |  April 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Just to reiterate, Disney II is one school located on two campuses, Kedvale Campus (PreK – 6) and Lawndale Campus (7 – 12). Lawndale Campus is currently slated to be a co-share with Thurgood Marshall Middle School, and the purpose of the public meetings is for parents, community members and other concerned citizens to express their support or concern about the co-share arrangement w/ TMMS. Disney II’s expansion to add grades 9 – 12 was approved by the Board of Ed back in December. It is a done deal. What is less clear is the long-term fate of TMMS and a child care facility currently housed at the Lawndale Campus. Certain members of the community surrounding Lawndale Campus have organized to lobby for attendance boundary consideration – they want an excellent magnet high school their children can walk to without the uncertainty of a proximity lottery. While I admire their moxie, I don’t anticipate CPS wavering on their commitment to a lottery school enrollment policy, the same policy proposed for the Disney II expansion that was approved by the Board of Ed back in December.

• 24. Mayfair Dad  |  April 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I was looking for the updated FAQs to post but they are still being enhanced to address questions that surfaced after the first public meeting. I did find this promotional video folks might find interesting:

• 25. Mayfair Dad  |  April 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Disney II Magnet School Expansion FAQs

• 26. RL Julia  |  April 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I have no issues with a 1.5 or 2.5 mile proximity lottery – is that a sure thing? Would the boundary be drawn from the Kedvale site or the Lawndale site – does anyone know? GIPNA’s proposal for an extra lottery that excludes half of the Murphy catchment area doesn’t work for me as an ask. I know it is the GIPNA boundaries and all but isn’t it ironic that it also occurs along a Census track line which divides between a tier 3 and tier 4 neighborhood.

• 27. Mayfair Dad  |  April 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm

RLJ, I would point you to the FAQs document. Great pains were taken to express what is known at this time and what is “wait and see” until the Board of Ed meets on the 22nd. This is the same information that will be shared with D2 parents at report card pick-up.

It would be inappropriate for me to comment on what GIPNA is asking for.

• 28. mom2  |  April 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I really want DS2 to succeed as a magnet high school. I want them to learn from the mistakes of Alcott and not do the same things. Then, I want more magnet high schools to open up for other successful magnet schools (Lasalle, Franklin, Newberry, Hawthorne, etc) Or have one more for all those schools put together or something so we can continue to have more options. (What I really want is for Lakeview to become the school of choice, but I am concerned that many parents are too scared of “something” to give it a try. I hope I’m wrong because it really sounds amazing.)

• 29. Questioner  |  April 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm

@28 What were the mistakes of Alcott?

• 30. mom2  |  April 15, 2013 at 3:31 pm

@29 – I’m not even sure. I think the high school has to be comparable to the elementary school(s) it feeds in terms of facilities (but more high school related – auditoriums, practice fields and swimming pool, music rooms, science labs, etc.) which I don’t think Alcott offered (or didn’t promote), the knowledge level/abilities of those that are accepted from outside of the feeder school(s) should match the typical level of the students within the feeder school (I don’t know if that is/was the case with Aclott), marketing needs to be much better (as someone else said), and I think there needs to be programs that are considered highly selective/rigorous/advanced in order to make the feeder parents feel it is a status symbol to go there (along with actually giving a great college prep education).

• 31. cpsobsessed  |  April 15, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I speculate that alcott put all their time (and there was a TON of parent time) into getting the high school approved and then perhaps burnt out in terms of marketing it, assuming it would all work out.
    I think many alcott parents still were uncertain about any non-SEHS high schools and all those who got an SEHS offer took it and the rest pursued private, etc, just like how it’s always been. It’s hard to get people to be the first to try a new thing in CPS it seems.

I don’t think they had the stanine 5 requirement and so they took in neighborhood kids who didn’t have other options, so scores looked lowish and it then becomes a cycle that’s hard to break as it’s not on the “parent hot list.”. I think the DII stanine requirement might address that issue. We’ll see if parent really embrace it this year….

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 32. Neighborhood parent  |  April 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

The poster above wants *more* magnet HS’s added so that they become extensions of the elementary magnets. I can’t agree with this. Everyone wants better HS choices.

How ’bout putting efforts and resources into Neighborhood HS’s?
    I’m so tired of this two-tiered (some would argue 3-tiered) educational system. Magnets don’t educate the bulk/majority of CPS students…. why are we always short-changing the “lottery losers” and rewarding the very small population of “magnet” students?

• 33. HSObsessed  |  April 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I read Ald. Arena’s informative post as linked above. So it seems that once it’s all up and running in two years, D2 will have 64 kids up to 6th grade, then add 36 more to get to an enrollment of 100 for 7th and 8th grade. Their HS freshman classes will have 150 slots. Because a certain number of the 8th graders will undoubtedly choose to go elsewhere for HS, there will likely be more than 50 slots open each year to freshmen from elsewhere.

• 34. HS Mom  |  April 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm

@31 – CPSO “I think many alcott parents still were uncertain about any non-SEHS high schools and all those who got an SEHS offer took it and the rest pursued private, etc, just like how it’s always been”

Historically, yes most people want to get their kids into SEHS’s. In addition to the SEHS or privates many opted for IB (LP and Curie, now there’s several new ones), Noble charters, and the 2 or 3 magnets.

The problem is the perceived lack of choices. No matter how many new programs are added, everyone still wants to go to certain SE schools, certain charters and certain IB programs. It’s about name, status and perception.

This is where I think DII has a shot. The AC will create demand. It will lock the current students in and fill a demand for A/C seats. Decatur kids will apply and DII kids will not want to give up their seats. If people like the school and the programming they’ll stay. We’re already discussing how unfair it is that certain kids can get in while others can’t. That’s good marketing.

• 35. Jen K  |  April 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm

@33 Disney 2 has 50 seats, K-6. There will be 100 seats in 7th and. 8th, and 150 in 9-12th.

• 36. local  |  April 15, 2013 at 10:17 pm

@ 34. HS Mom | April 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Maybe Vanderpoel should copy this model? Launch a magnet HS with threshold stanines? The southside needs some love.

• 37. local  |  April 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Will Disney II HS have IB?

Saw this over at substancenews.net…

“On April 12, 2013, CPS ‘rescinded’ the March 2013 appointments of veteran teachers for ‘IB’ programs at at least four high school…”

• 38. local  |  April 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

More…

“he principals that Substance confirmed (as of the morning of April 15, 2013) to have issued the rescind notices are: Marcey Sorenson (Clemente); Michael Boraz (Lincoln Park); Susan Lofton (Senn); and Mary Kay Cappitelli (Taft).

“The other high schools that have been scheduled for the expansion of the IB program for the 2013 – 2014 school year are: Back of the Yards (Patricia Brekke, principal); Benito Juarez (Juan Ocon, principal); Bronzeville Scholastic Academy (Leandra Kahn, principal); Schurz (Daniel Kramer, principal); Farragut (Tonya Hammaker, principal); Hyde Park (Antonio Ross, principal); Kennedy (George Szkapiak, principal), according to CPS documents and bulletins.”

• 39. HSObsessed  |  April 16, 2013 at 7:15 am

@35 – I got the 64 number from the WBEZ chart that showed admissions for # of K spots for this year’s lottery, and it showed 64, so apparently their number was incorrect.

• [...] Disney II High School (and other schools still open) CPS Obsessed: The application period for Disney II Magnet High School is opened.  I didn’t realize it will require Stanine 5 in Reading and Math (although now I think I recall some of you mentioning this.  True, it’s not a SE level cut-off but it certainly should set the school apart in that every student will be average or above. [...]

• 41. SutherlandParent  |  April 16, 2013 at 9:39 am

Regarding the Stanine 5, the Ag School has the same minimum to apply. I don’t know if that’s becoming more common in CPS for the non-neighborhood, non-SEHS options?

• 42. HS Mom  |  April 16, 2013 at 9:56 am

@41 and others – stanine 5 is the requirement for SEHS, it just doesn’t seem like it because most applicants will need more than that to get it. It would make sense for other programs to be the same. With changes in ISAT scoring the 5 stanine could become more significant.

local – I’m not sure I understand about rescinding notices of teachers means. Did they quit, get fired, neither? Are you saying there will be a shortage of IB teachers?

• 43. RL Julia  |  April 16, 2013 at 11:34 am

@34 HS Mom – I am not sure I understand your comment.

Yes, I agree with you that D2 probably will get Decatur applicants or be used as a back-up AC program for kids looking to move from their current elementary schools – BUT part of the attraction of an AC program (at least for me) is that it is attached to a high school and provides the type of access to services that a high school provides – which includes better science lab spaces, computer labs, gyms, a library, teachers licensed and capable of teaching language (on a daily basis) and higher math (to say the least) – and the stabilizing influence of being around older kids (rather than being the oldest kids, leading the school).

However, unless D2 can offer these things (and pretty much off the bat, I’m afraid) I don’t know how well they will be able to attract the sort of high level, competitive student they are interested in serving. Additionally, as the Taft AC can attest (not so sure about Kenwood) – unless the high school can provide all the bells and whistles associated with a SEHS, they will lose top scoring students (like those who went to Decatur) to more resourced/better established SEHS’s/Parochial schools for high school.

To conclude, I think that D2 will probably be able to attract 7 and 8th graders to it’s program- but may have a problem retaining them through the high school grades.

• 44. Mayfair Dad  |  April 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Disney II Magnet School Expansion FAQs

• 45. SutherlandParent  |  April 16, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for the clarification HS Mom–for some reason, I thought the stanine were higher for SEHS’s.

• 46. Mich  |  April 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Lakeview @41 – it seems to be becoming standard for all schools, if you want to go to anything other than your local neighborhood school you need a total of 10, 5 & 5 if you’re a typical student but can be skewed if you’re an IEP student (e.g. 4 in verbal + 6 in math).

• 47. Chicago Mama  |  April 16, 2013 at 7:44 pm

The stanine of 5 & 5 is standard CPS magnet school policy. It is not unique to Disney II and it’s not a particularly high standard – it’s like 37th percentile.

The only magnet high school that doesn’t have a stanine minimum is Goode STEM. And I know from someone who is connected to Goode that they have freshmen who cannot read. How can 14-year-olds prepare themselves to hack engineering school if they cannot understand those nonfiction texts??

I want to correct the idea that Disney II is only interested in serving SE-level students, as RLJulia implies @43. The reason that the magnet policy is written in that way and why the school community is advocating for a magnet school is because we believe in the magnet school model. _I_ believe in making the system work better for _all_ children, and I truly think everyone should get an equal shot at it. Finally, to preempt the follow-up, my impression from talking to people is that SE/magnet schools do not necessarily get more funding than neighborhood schools. I think the District is moving to a per-pupil funding formula for all schools nexy FY, so I guess we’ll see how equitable it really is or isn’t.

I think the facility at TMMS can provide the backdrop for the resources of which you speak, RLJ. The building was a girls RC high school for 65 years before CPS bought it and put in TMMS, so in many ways, it’s bigger and better equipped than the Kedvale campus. I’ve no doubt in my mind that it will attract a great teaching staff as well. There are 3 girls in the 6th grade who were all accepted into ACs and chose to stay at Disney II. I think the move to SEHS is inevitable for some Disney II families, but that the school will be able to attract other students to the program.

BTW for Falconergrad – there’s a really successful community K-12 school in Little Village called Spry. It was founded by Carlos Azcoitia.

• 48. anotherchicagoparent  |  April 17, 2013 at 7:00 am

Via Catalyst Chicago
    “As they roll out student-based budgeting, CPS is side-stepping the thorny issue of how to handle the additional funding that schools get for low-income students, special education and bilingual students and for magnet and selective enrollment schools. This money will not be folded into the per-student allotment, but rather doled out based on the complicated formula currently in use.”

• 49. anonymouse teacher  |  April 17, 2013 at 8:43 am

@47, I am curious why you believe Spry is successful. Based on what I know from colleagues and from the available test scores, I would disagree, but maybe you have other information that would indicate otherwise.

• 50. Mayfair Dad  |  April 17, 2013 at 9:27 am

You rock Chicago Mama – especially when nobody tries to take your microphone away :)

• 51. HSObsessed  |  April 17, 2013 at 10:12 am

Article today on the Disney 2 expansion —

• 52. HS Mom  |  April 17, 2013 at 10:49 am

@43 RLJ – I think the things you list are great but secondary to curriculum for many families looking for a good school. Our first choice SE school had no library or gym with a huge demand. I’m sure there are some who would not chose the school because of that IF they have a better suited option. Doesn’t Marshall have a gym and science labs like most other schools? I also thought that the facility was going to be upgraded.

If Disney maintains the talent that they foster in the elementary school and the AC kids view the program as a 6 year plan like they do in the other AC’s, Disney will have a unique format that will be in demand.

• 53. anotherchicagoparent  |  April 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm

52 Resources sure help.This year at least 300 percent more kids applied to Jones from my child’s elementary school compared to when my first child applied.Usually half-2/3 that got accepted from our school turned Jones down.Guess what no one turned it down this year.Wonder what helped? Just being honest.Oh Jones has an amazing library,Harold Washington library is beautiful and my teen has spent time there.

• 54. anotherchicagoparent  |  April 17, 2013 at 1:00 pm

*applied and put Jones first.

• 55. HS Mom  |  April 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm

No doubt they help – but they weren’t a factor for us and many others that could or could not get in prior to the new building. I’m not sure what the resources are or will be at Disney, but quality of teachers, smaller class size, rigor and offerings in curriculum/programing, college acceptance, and school life are all key to HS success. If Disney can deliver those elements they will be able to keep and attract college and career minded students.

• 56. Questioner  |  April 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Will there be bussing available for 7th and 8th grade at Disney II?

• 57. realchicagomama  |  April 17, 2013 at 6:18 pm

No bussing at either Disney II campus.

• 58. local  |  April 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm

HS Mom:

More from that story:

“In mid-March 2012, principals had informed the teachers at the high schools that they would be included in the IB program beginning in September, and teachers began preparing for the summer and other training required of the program. Suddenly, late on Friday April 12, the same teachers learned they had been, effectively, unapproved.”

Perhaps any CPS teacher here can share some insight?

• 59. SoxSideIrish4  |  April 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm

The 7&8th grades aren’t an academic center so some kids will leave for SEHS, but I hope this turns out to be a good option for the kids who stay.

• 60. anonymouse teacher  |  April 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm

@58, I am not really sure what story the quote you gave referred to, but I cannot tell you how many times I personally have experienced similar things in CPS. My school, and I swear to god I am not exaggerating, because I kept count and kept the emails to prove it, was told no less than 9 different stories in relation to what tests we’d have to give this year in my grade level in a 6 week period of time. Nine different instructions. Nine. It is SO common to prep for a program, put a ton of time and effort into it and then have it cancelled or perhaps a year later, to have the program removed. I have colleagues who absolutely refuse to participate in any new program that CPS tells us we must implement simply because they’ve been burned so many times. I used to think these were lazy, uncaring teachers. I don’t think that anymore.

• 61. Chicago Mama  |  April 17, 2013 at 10:19 pm

anonymouse teacher – I believe it. Although this is true of ed in general in the U.S., CPS in specific rarely gives any program enough money and a enough time to adequately assess whether it’s working before it pulls the plug. The fact that we’ve had 5 CEOs in my 5 years in CPS doesn’t help. And really only one of them (and even that is debatable) had any historical perspective on Chicago schools. I’ve seen this revolving door effect in corporate America a lot as well, which is yet another reason that education reform shouldn’t (have to) use corporate America as a model.

• 62. RL Julia  |  April 18, 2013 at 10:19 am

Ok guys – sell me – my daughter would love to go to a school closer to our house – and she could walk to D2. Why should she consider leaving Whitney Young for high school for D2?

• 63. Mayfair Dad  |  April 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

Hi RLJ

if your Tier 4 daughter worked hard to get straight As in 7th grade and tested well enough on the SE entrance exam to score a perfect 900 and earned a spot at Whitney Young, I say congratulations, job well done!

For other college-bound students who unfortunately managed to get a B in 7th grade (gasp!), Disney II might be a terrific option for you.

• 64. cpsobsessed  |  April 18, 2013 at 11:10 am

for certain types of kids, I can see the chance to enter a new school could be very appealing. The clubs and groups and all that isn’t fully formed, like I’m sure it is at Whitney. For kids who have ideas and like to lead and implement, etc it could be a great chance to really shine and help leave a mark on the schools.

Same as with parents — some like the stability of a Blaine where everything is in place, but also, many of the key roles are already taken and require some jockeying to fill. Other parents like the vibe of a school that is in growth mode where you can help make things happen.

So a kid who maybe enjoys that stuff a little more than studying it seems like it could be a good move. More of a pioneer mentality.

• 65. anotherchicagoparent  |  April 18, 2013 at 11:28 am

A dozen IB High schools still taking applications for next year also.

• 66. cpsobsessed  |  April 18, 2013 at 11:30 am

So… what do we think it means that so many of the IB programs are still taking students?

• 67. SoxSideIrish4  |  April 18, 2013 at 11:36 am

62. RL Julia | April 18, 2013 at 10:19 am

I would LOVE for my child NOT to have to commute~a closer HS is enticing BUT WY has the most National Board Certified Teachers in any CPS school (I think 33) that says a lot to me. If your child hasn’t started WY, you may want to look at D2, but if she has I wouldn’t change~WY offers too much (things that aren’t advertised)~unless the work is too demanding or the commute is too much. Just my 2 pennies.

• 68. realchicagomama  |  April 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

If she isn’t in 8th grade or lower now, it’s moot.

• 69. anotherchicagoparent  |  April 18, 2013 at 11:43 am

I had an 8th grader this year and I saw a lack of interest in any new programming by “most” parents and distrust about anything coming from the top of CPS.
    About 10 percent will be leaving CPS for Catholic/ private because they did accepted into SEHS, LPIB, LP double honors etc.No big surge to Lake View either. :( I know a few who just did not want to deal with CPS any longer.
    Maybe it’s the prove it to me first attitude?? I don’t know.I am no pioneer either this year as my 2nd child will be going to the SE HS 5 minutes away no commute with the second one so glad!

• 70. anotherchicagoparent  |  April 18, 2013 at 11:45 am

meant to write didn’t get accepted ..ugh i need an editor..:0

• 71. stats  |  April 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

“The stanine of 5 & 5 is standard CPS magnet school policy. It is not unique to Disney II and it’s not a particularly high standard – it’s like 37th percentile”

The first part is correct – stanines of 5 and 5 for reading/math are standard CPS policy for HIGH SCHOOL magnet eligibility, along with several other high school special programs, including IB — note this score requirement for eligibility applies only to HS magnets, not ES. There are exceptions (e.g. for IEP/504 students and some special populations, R/M stanines must TOTAL 10 but can be 4/6, 3/7, etc.)

But it is not “like 37th percentile.” By definition, a scaled score with a stanine of 5 falls between the 40th and 60th percentile.

• 72. Portage Mom  |  April 18, 2013 at 1:10 pm

There are roughly 12,000 kids competing for the roughly 3,000 selective enrollment high school spots each year. I don’t think D2 High School is really competing for the kids who get one of the 3,000 spots. There are a lot of smart kids who don’t get a spot at a SEHS and are looking for a good high school that will make them college ready. I think D2 HS is perfect for them. The D2 HS provides an additional option for families shut out of SEHS. I don’t think SEHS is really appropriate for every child but in Chicago you have two extremes…SEHS and low performing high schools. There needs to be an option for those students who fall somewhere in between those two extremes and the D2 HS fills that gap nicely. There are also kids who get into a SEHS but the school may not be a good fit for a specific students skills. If parents think their child will struggle with the curriculum, selecting a school where there are students with a range of abilities might be a better fit. I think there is nothing worse than a student getting into a SEHS and struggle with the courses and feel like a failure when in reality that’s far from the truth. Most school systems outside of Chicago have high schools where kids from all ability levels are placed in classes that are appropriate for their skill level.

• 73. anonymouse teacher  |  April 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm

@66, I’d say its because a program doesn’t make a school, the student body makes a school.

• 74. HSObsessed  |  April 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm

@66 – I think some of those IB programs are still too new and untested to draw the kids/parents that @69 anotherchicagoparent described, or the school is not diverse enough yet, or the location is not convenient. I take it as a good sign that Ogden IB and Taft IB are not on the list at all because just a few years ago, those were not yet “acceptable” and apparently now they are. (In quotes because they likely have been fine all along, just that the word wasn’t out yet; hadn’t hit that tipping point, etc.) I’m sure Senn IB will be filling up very quickly within 1-3 years.

• 75. local  |  April 18, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Speak of the devil.

• 76. Mayfair Dad  |  April 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

@ 75: You rang?

• 77. frank  |  April 19, 2013 at 10:18 pm

A month ago I came on the board and posted that many parents in the TMMS area were unhappy with the proposed share with Disney 2 HS. I was blasted by D2 parents on this board, well what do you have to say now? Not everyone think this co-share is a “fabulous” plan, and certainly many non-D2 families are apprehensive, as I stated.

• 78. frank  |  April 19, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Quoted from Kathleen Smith, teacher at TMMS
    “The co-location will help Marshall? Excuse me while I laugh at this because it’s quite clear from CPS that it’s a slow strangulation. Their way of making room for the 28% low income population of DII is to ship off our 98% low income students. After all, they don’t deserve to be there, right? Because this isn’t their neighborhood at all…”

sentiment around TMMS

• 79. frank  |  April 19, 2013 at 10:48 pm

the comment section makes interesting reading

• 80. realchicagomama  |  April 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm

@Frank – parents in theTMMS area or TMMS parents? They are mutually exclusive due to the way CPS uses TMMS.

I say the same thing that I said then: we need more high-quality options in the District, for both high school and Elementary.

• 81. frank  |  April 19, 2013 at 11:29 pm

@80, I don’t know to be honest. But the hubris of some (not all) but some D2 parents on this board was telling. Some of the comments showed a real lack of thoughtful consideration for the opinions of the TMMS community (in and around) the building. It was a huge assumption that just because d2 parents were pleased with the location TMMS was also pleased.

• 82. Portage Mom  |  April 20, 2013 at 12:27 am

@81 frank – I remember reading some posts from “Jaded Neighborhood Mom” regarding potential issues on the co-location. Some of the threads can get really long but I don’t remember reading any of your posts. Were there others besides the ones from “Jaded Neighborhood Mom”?

• 83. EK  |  April 20, 2013 at 7:42 am

I just read the articles linked here. I don’t know what to say, and feel torn. As a parent who just got an acceptance letter (for K) for DII, I like the idea of a high-quality high school, but did wonder about (a) outdoor facilities at the TMMS building, (b) how the space will work with TMMS or is it a way to eventually eliminate TMMS, and (c) what will happen to KidWatch, as my son went there for a long time and I think it’s a fantastic place. However, reading the article, I’ve rarely seen more “reporting” so slanted in one direction, so it’s hard for me to take it at face value. For example, just calling DII “so-called ‘Disney II'” while just naming the other school is a style thing that lends a sinister tone to the school. Now, as I said, I’ve no experience with DII yet, but one thing to note – I am not some upper class super-privileged family – we just got in by CHANCE. So, calling DII a kind of haven for rich families doesn’t seem fair. On the other hand, it is true it is not a neighborhood school, so I can see the neighborhood’s (or some people in the neighborhood’s) perspective. But, it seems it was never meant to be a neighborhood school. I agree more funding should come to help out overcrowded neighborhood schools; but I don’t think necessarily that the creation of DII is ruining any effort in that direction. Talking with people I know in the neighborhood, I haven’t heard any animosity toward the DII expansion, really.

I don’t know – haven’t had coffee yet this morning. But I don’t like the feeling given to me from reading that article that somehow by sending my K kiddo there that I’ve joined the Evil Empire of DII. As I said, not coming from a place of wealth etc. myself here – just got in by chance. As everyone can for the new spots for the HS…right? And there will be more HS spots than elementary, so the HS can take in more kiddos (yes, lottery, I know).

• 84. local  |  April 20, 2013 at 8:37 am

The way I deal with any media (from Substance through MSM) is to sift out all the “opinion” words and look at what facts remain in the colander. Then, I look to see if it seems like all the facts I need are there, or some were not even included in the story. So, the word “so-called” goes down the drain, but the SES profile of the student body remains to be confirmed, for example. FWIW.

Also, it seems like every family needs to choose the very “best” option for their student. It seems few families will use their personal choices to make a political statement. Maybe. Depends, doesn’t it?

It’s interesting how so many families with power in this city (media, advocates, CPS employees, et al) have found routes to “excellent” educational opportunities for their own children.

I guess one then must decide how to fight for access, parity or equality in education for all “the rest.”

It’s a profound challenge.

• 85. Portage Mom  |  April 20, 2013 at 8:41 am

@83 EK – Congratulations on getting a spot at Disney II. I remember how excited I was when my daughter got a spot for K. My daughter is now finishing up first grade and we really love it. I was really thrilled when they were talking about the high school earlier in the year. Once she got in at Disney II, I wondered where she would go for high school. The advantage is by the time she is ready all the kinks will have been worked out.

I’m not sure what’s all going to happen with the TMMS location. I had heard of Kids Watch being a fantastic child care option in a city where there is a shortage of great options. I hope they will be able to stay. I would hate for them to leave the city.

I think everything will work out in the end but what you’re seeing is the various groups advocating for the kids they represent. If you would like to speak further contact me at rc2758@yahoo.com. Once you go for registration you will be assigned another K parent who already has a child at Disney II who can answer any questions you may have.

• 86. Jen K  |  April 20, 2013 at 9:38 am

@83: congratulations! I’d like to just say, regarding the dnainfo comments, to keep in mind there are a few very vocal individuals who are opposing the plan to co-locate at TMMS. I live in the neighborhood and most families are supportive of adding HS seats in the system. The fact that D2 is Magnet and not neighborhood is frustrating to people who live so close but didn’t get in. Please try to set this drama aside and look at the school as a great educational opportunity for your child.

• 87. anotherchicagoparent  |  April 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

If you follow along at https://twitter.com/WBEZeducation they are tweeting info from Disney 2 expansion meeting this morning.

• 88. fact sifting  |  April 20, 2013 at 11:34 am

@82 – “Jaded neighborhood mom” was not aware there was a child care facility in TMMS. I think it would be difficult for people who live in the actual (independence park) area to not know.

Is it not possible for a childcare with infants and cribs to relocate elsewhere within the community to a location that may be even better suited for the purpose?

There are high schools that do not have exterior ground space. Gordon Tech uses Horner Park, Von Steuben uses an adjacent park etc.

• 89. D2 neighbor  |  April 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I also live in the neighborhood, and MOST of the neighborhood families I know recognize that we need another elementary school in the immediate area. They are outraged at how overcrowded the elementary schools in our area are. Belding, Reilly, Scammon, and, to a lesser, degree Murphy are all overcrowded. Prussing has 40 kids in a classroom, and it’s my understanding that Scammon and Belding are not that far from that. What our community needs is more elementary schools to relieve this overcrowding.

(Notably, D2 sits comfortably with 25 kids per classroom.)

This is a zero sum game. There are very few empty schools on the Northwest side, so there really is no where else to go. What the community needs is an elementary school, and it’s disheartening to know that CPS, D2, and the City is prioritizing the City’s desire for D2 HS over the critical need for an elementary school in this area.

On top of it, since everything on the NW side is overcrowded, those families who want to choose either CPS options have to drive ridiculous distances to find a school with any openings. Few schools on the NW side have room to take kids out of boundaries. So, for NW side families, it’s Catholic, a charter school (of you can even get in there), a lengthy commute to a distant CPS school, or the moving truck.

And I feel the need to correct a gross mis-statement that is frequently repeated in this debate. The people requesting an “overlay” are a small minority of people who oppose the D2 location. I have never requested to be part of any “overlay,” nor am in that boundary. So, it’s disingenuous for D2 parents to try to characterize all of the neighborhood families who oppose the D2 HS location as also requesting the overlay. It’s simply NOT TRUE.

• 90. Susan  |  April 20, 2013 at 2:00 pm

@82 Jen K
    ” I live in the neighborhood and most families are supportive of adding HS seats in the system.”
    How do you know this? I think this is what frank is getting at. The assumption that “most” are on board with the plan. How do you know? What kind of survey has been does, etc.

• 91. frank  |  April 20, 2013 at 2:05 pm

@82- I read jaded mom’s comments as well, and I wrote also about the location. There was one or two other comments questioning the TMMS location, but there was a strong backlash with this line of inquiry on the thread. It seemed most commenting didn’t want to hear that not everyone loved the location/idea.

• 92. frank  |  April 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm

@88 “Jaded neighborhood mom” was not aware there was a child care facility in TMMS.” I don’t believe what you wrote is true. jaded mom was aware of the facility but was focused on the middle school aspect of the co-location. In fact her post said that.

• 93. frank  |  April 20, 2013 at 2:08 pm

@89-Right on the money!

• 94. Jen K  |  April 20, 2013 at 2:30 pm

@90 I will correct my statement: most of the families I know (and most of whom do not go to D2) support having more high school options. And yes, most families (that i know) also acknowledge the need for more elementary seats in a neighborhood school.

• 95. Teresa  |  April 20, 2013 at 3:08 pm

This HS is a done deal . They are already taking applications. Wheather we need an elementary school or HS is moot. The real issue is should a neighborhood be allowed to decide the boundaries, overlay of a magnet HS. We know the answer is no. To do otherwise is to set up a whole new tier system for HS. Come on Lasalle II k-12 overlay 1.5 , Lincoln Elementary plus Lincoln HS 2 , etc. That would separate this city greatly.

It would have been interesting to see where the speakers wanted to start the 1.5 miles. Disney 2 is about a mile away from Marshall Middle. Let the neighborhood hunger games begin.

• 96. Chicago Mama  |  April 20, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I think we all want to be validated in our opinions, and believe that others share them. In my neighborhood, which is near Independence Park, I’ve heard a mix of opinions about the proposed co-location. But mostly I’ve heard radio silence, which would suggest apathy toward the plan on either side. One of my neighbors told me that he doesn’t care, as both of his kids have been accepted into SEHS. I doubt my three closest neighbors, who are elderly, know that CPS is considering a change.

• 97. Mich  |  April 20, 2013 at 5:30 pm

And that is how it goes Chicago Mama. As long as MY kid is fine I don’t care what happens to the rest. People who used to agitate for better neighborhood options in my area stopped once their kids got into Lincoln Park Double Honors, Payton or a scholarship to a Catholic school. They no longer work with the rest of us because their kid is set.
    If we can start seeing it is vital to raise the available options for all students then we can start seeing the need to continually agitate for better options even if our own kids are comfortably onto the “right” path.

• 98. cpsobsessed  |  April 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Here are the interesting Tweets from WBEZ from the Disney2 hearing:

Marshall/Disney II hearing, public comment now starting. Hearing officer says they have a “very aggressive” list of speakers.

Principal from Murphy elementary near Marshall MS concerned about the future of the building. Says community has not been asked.

Murphy parent says Disney II should keep 7 & 8 at current building so there is still room for Kid Watch plus program at Marshall MS.

Murphy parent asks that kids in community get access/priority in lottery.

Kid watch plus has a lease at Marshall MS and director wants consideration to maintain space.

Belding ES local school council member concerned with overcrowding. Don’t care if Disney II expands but has issue with placement.

Speaker: Disney II expansion will inevitably lead to the push out of current two schools.

Disney II parent supports Disney HS expansion into Marshall building.

Belding parent concerned about overcrowding at the school and o’hare network. Wants more neighborhood schools in area to address need.

Parent/speaker: why not use Marshall MS space to alleviate overcrowding at nearby elementary schools.

Marshall MS student asks if she will be going to Ames MS eventually.
    Resident of area wants the kids of the area to have access to Disney II HS.

Teacher at Marshall MS says the board should wait and think through where to put Disney II HS. So much overcrowding. Breaks down crying.

Marshall MS teacher calls the proposal insulting. Says its wrong that they can no longer walk through the main entrance.

Disney II Parent thanks the board for expanding to high school grades. Says its not by chance or luck.

• 99. local  |  April 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm

@ 95. Teresa | April 20, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Hmmm. Isn’t that exactly how it went down at the Ag School?

• 100. realchicagomama  |  April 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm

WBEZ was definitely selectively tweeting. :)

• 101. realchicagomama  |  April 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Mich, I totally agree about advocating for all. It’s part of the reason that I am a card-carrying member of the PTA.

• 102. Jaded Mom  |  April 20, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thank you CPSO for your update.

I hate to beat a dead horse or say “I told you so”, but many non-D2 parents are not happy about the location. And, some TMMS teachers and parents feel left out. I said this a month ago. I am not happy to be proven right but……….

@frank-thank you

• 103. skinner mom  |  April 20, 2013 at 10:00 pm

@102- what do you feel is the primary reason why there is push back from the community?

• 104. athens  |  April 20, 2013 at 10:07 pm

@102–I think like most things that are done, the neighborhood was not included in the consideration. There was no real public vetting of the proposal, it was just thrown out there. TMMS staff, families, and students were not asked their opinions, it was a huge assumption that just because there is room the middle school would not have a problem with the co-location. This has been done before and historically co-locations in cps are not smooth transitions.

• 105. athens  |  April 20, 2013 at 10:08 pm

oops…@103

• 106. RL Julia  |  April 22, 2013 at 9:58 am

103- I think the push back from the neighborhood is because Murphy proposed a high school about two years ago to central office and it went no where and apparently Belding made a proposal that utilized TMMS in terms of alleviating their space issues and apparently that too was ignored – and then CPS approves the D2 high school -which is a lottery/magnet school and thus can not be considered to relieve any of those two neighborhood school’s problems – or act as a solution in any way – plus the space at TMMS is now occupied.

Mayfair Dad @63 – Tier 3 daughter currently at WYAC in 7th grade and has two B’s. Is plenty smart but not necessarily traditional college-bound – might be up for a change for HS – why should she consider D2?

• 107. realchicagomama  |  April 22, 2013 at 11:16 am

RLJ tell me more about the Murphy high school proposal. Was it an RFQ /formal proposal? Was Ms. Zelenka involved?

• 108. RL Julia  |  April 23, 2013 at 9:33 am

@107 – it was a few years ago and I don’t have the best memory – The discussion was started when Audubon’s then principal, John Price came to the Murphy LSC to talk about the Audubon High School being located at TMMS – although it probably has been bouncing around the neighborhood for a while even then. A group from the LSC and GIPNA formed ands started putting together a proposal of what a Murphy neighborhood high school would look like. A person from the neighborhood with connections to CPS Central Office was going to vet the proposal up the chain within CPS -and that’s when I lose track of what went were – except that nothing really ever came of it. I am sure that Ms. Zelenka contributed or at least read the proposal but I don’t think she was part of the group developing the proposal. Why do you ask?

Anyone have the story on Belding’s proposal?

Another thing to remember is that Audubon at least showed up to the LSC meetings at Murphy (and I think Cleveland and some other local neighborhood schools) to talk about their proposal – Disney 2, to the best of my (incomplete) knowledge never did – it’s one of those cases, where a little outreach probably would have gone a long way in making the neighborhood feel included/asked – the Audubon proposal wasn’t any more neighborhood-centric in it’s admissions but the feeling was completely different because of how they approached the whole process.

• 109. realchicagomama  |  April 23, 2013 at 11:02 am

RLJ – that’s an interesting perspective. I did not know that about Murphy’s proposal. It must not have gotten to the community engagement stage, as I knew only tangentially about the Audubon proposal. DII is only now at the community engagement stage, due to delays at the District level and the alderman’s disinterest. Our principal chose to address current DII parents before she went out to the neighborhood; would you want your child’s principal to act differently?

I ask because I think it would be difficult to successfully pitch a proposal for a new / expanded school without an admin at the helm. I attended a Murphy LSC meeting in March as a neighbor, and Ms. Zelenka never mentioned a previous Murphy HS proposal, although a good deal of meeting time was spent on GIPNA’s overlay proposal and other discussions of DII’s approved expansion. Murphy LSC chair sat next to me in the first ORD network community meeting in early February and said nothing about it then.

I understand what you are saying about outreach, but I am not sure that was possible as so much was up in the air until the District made a location decision the day before Speing break.

• 110. RL Julia  |  April 24, 2013 at 10:19 am

realchicagomama – While your school’s principal chose to address the D2 parents prior to going out to the neighborhood, she did not address them exclusively – in that there was/has been plenty of public information on the D2 website and other buzz – as well as D2’s soliciting applications for the new roll-up.

I personally would have advised the proposal to have been kept under better wraps while being rolled out to the D2 community exclusively and/or have done a bigger roll out to both the D2 parent community and the geographic community either simultaneously or close to it. So – I guess, yes, I would have expected my child’s principal to have acted differently or at least a little more intentionally that it feels like was done here (but that’s just me – and I have no knowledge of what the D2 principal intended to do in the first place).

The Murphy school proposal is water under the bridge – there would be no reason for the LSC to bring it up now -it’s not particularly relevant to moving forward at this point. I mentioned the proposal because I think it is a relevant piece of the back story in explaining my answer to the original question of why is there push back from the neighborhood on the D2 HS location.

• 111. Mayfair Dad  |  April 24, 2013 at 11:10 am

It is a grossly unfair misconception (and popular conspiracy theory) that Disney II was in cahoots with CPS brass to swoop in and “steal” TMMS building from the neighborhood in spite of the overcrowding that abounds in the O’Hare Network. Didn’t happen that way. A team of dedicated teachers and parents, led by a very capable and visionary principal, completed the Request for New Schools RFP process. The proposal was thorough, well-researched and comprehensive. Since the current Disney II was born in the same fashion (as a replication of the original Disney Magnet) there was knowledge of the process and a track record of success, which most certainly weighed in our favor and led to approval. No conspiracy, just due diligence and a compelling plan to expand Disney II to include grades 9 – 12.

Another popular whopper: Disney II targeted TMMS building. Didn’t happen that way. We wanted, and requested, an addition to be built on our current property on Kedvale. Maybe it is difficult for the naysayers to understand how the New Schools RFP process was taking place at the same time the Utilization Crisis was unfolding. CPS chose to bundle the announcement of new school openings with news of school closings – another communications fustercluck from S. Clark Street. The Disney II community was kept in the dark re: the location of the approved expansion until CPS announced the co-location plan to the world. Within hours of the announcement, the principal of Disney II was reaching out to community groups and other stakeholders, working in concert with the alderman’s office to address the larger community’s concerns. Throughout the process, whatever limited information we received from CPS was posted on our school website for all to see. No secret agenda, just full transparency.

Everyone has a right to their own opinions but nobody is allowed to invent their own facts. Forceful advocacy is one thing, spreading lies and half-truths to incite hostilities is something else entirely.

It has been a difficult year, starting with a teacher’s strike and ending with 54 school actions. There is hostility in the air. Nobody trusts CPS and everyone is fighting over the same bone like starving dogs.

Remember this: our kids are watching.

• 112. RL Julia  |  April 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Huh? Good commentary MFD but I hope you don’t think I was insinuating anything – was merely trying to answer the question posed in post 103 – and then follow-up. I profess to know virtually nothing about the mechanations

• 113. Mayfair Dad  |  April 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Sorry. Not directed at you RLJ, just getting a few things off my chest.

• 114. katy  |  April 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Mayfair Dad-sigh!!

• 115. JD  |  April 25, 2013 at 9:27 pm

“CPS chose to bundle the announcement of new school openings with news of school closings”

Not quite. CPS is required by law to follow the same process for closings and co-locations. Since D2’s high school grades required a co-location it could not practically be kept separate from the closing proposals.

• 116. Mayfair Dad  |  April 26, 2013 at 9:43 am

@ 115: Thank you for the clarification. My point was that D2 had no control over how/when the information was released by CPS. The announcement of a new high school on the Northwest side was blended with the rancor and upheaval of utilization committee hearings and school closings – tarred with the same brush.

Its like sending the messages “It’s a baby boy!” and “Uncle Gus has cancer” on the same greeting card. Not the optimal communication strategy. To say we got off to a bad start (not of our making) is an understatement.

• 117. RL Julia  |  April 26, 2013 at 11:12 am

Totally misread this as Uncle Gus has a scanner. Totally different card.

• 118. Chicago Mama  |  April 26, 2013 at 11:49 am

Thanks for the levity, RLJ!

• 119. Chicago School GPS  |  May 24, 2013 at 10:19 am

End of Year Options for High School have been released (click link below), with applications mostly due @ 5PM by May 31, but Disney II’s new HS is due by June 7.

Schools like Senn IB or some Nobel charter high schools require you to contact the school directly.

• 120. realchicagomama  |  May 24, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Want to learn more about the program, meet teachers and staff, and participate in a Q&A session? Please attend the Open House from 6 to 8 PM on Thursday, May 30 at Disney II, 3815 N. Kedvale.

• 121. Thneed  |  May 31, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Did anyone attend the open house last night for Disney 2?

• 122. susan  |  September 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

Just was wondering how the DDII HS went with its enrollment and opening and sharing the space with the other middle school?

We live down the block from DDII HS but attend an elementary magnet in Old Town. I’m hoping this really could be an option down the road for 7th grade.

• 123. cpsobsessed  |  September 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

D2 told me at the Hidden Gems high schools fair that they filled the class this year. They expect around 50 to stay from the elem each year, opening about 100 spots in each HS class. Seems like a great option to pursue.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 124. Antique Slot Machines for sale in USA  |  May 25, 2014 at 3:25 am

If you desire to grow your familiarity just keep visiting
    this web page and be updated with the latest gossip
    posted here.

• 125. zim lottery results  |  July 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Hey! I know this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does building a well-established website
    like yours take a massive amount work? I’m completely new to running
    a blog however I do write in my diary daily.

I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience
    and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any
    recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers.
    Appreciate it!