Newsweek’s List of Top High Schools (Guest post by HSObsessed)

June 21, 2011 at 10:54 am 51 comments

Thanks to HSObsessed, here is some interesting info and comments on Newsweek’s list of top US High schools.

Newsweek has released its annual rankings of the top high schools in the United States. In the past, their methodology was kind of unusual in that it focused almost solely on the number of AP courses offered and AP tests taken, along with a heavy weighting in favor of schools with a higher level of poverty. They’ve revamped their criteria, and it now includes graduation rate, college matriculation rate and average ACT/SAT scores, so it’s much more balanced, IMHO.

Of the 500 “best” public high schools Newsweek listed (with the national rank indicated), Chicago has three:

#24  Northside
#216 Lane Tech
#424 Lincoln Park

Congrats to those three schools! I’m especially excited to see LT and LP on this list, as they are still suffering a “stepsister” reputation locally in the eyes of the public, even though both have amazing things to offer.

I believe there are about 25,000 to 27,000 public high schools in the United States, according to my quick Internet search. Therefore, all 500 schools on the Newsweek list are in the top 2% of public high schools in the nation.

The top ten in Illinois (of 759 high schools) are:

#24  Northside
#37  Illinois Math and Science Academy
#69  Hinsdale Central
#82  Stevenson (Lincolnshire)
#97  Glenbrook North (Northbrook)
#114 Prospect (Mt. Prospect)
#128 University Labaratory (Urbana)
#139 New Trier (Winnetka)
#194 Riverside-Brookfield (Riverside)
#197 Maine Township (Park Ridge)

*Note that Northside, IMSA and Uni Lab are test-in schools.

My initial thought is: 1/ Wonder whether the New Trier folks are surprised that they’re 8th overall on the list of top high schools in the state? They’re more used to be closer to the top of the list. 2/  It’s nice to see schools like Prospect and Riverside-Brookfield, serving  solid workaday populations in non-glamorous suburbs like Mt. Prospect and Brookfield, do so well. 3/ I wonder why Payton and Whitney Young are not on this list; that is, what’s keeping them off?

What are your thoughts?

About these ads

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .

Some intital input from Brizard Blue Ribbon Committee Meetings – SOON!

51 Comments

• 1. Generalist  |  June 21, 2011 at 11:08 am

What’s interesting to me are the many suburban GENERAL high schools — with all types of students, not just the “highest testers” — that make this list. But no general CPS HS does.

• 2. Grace  |  June 21, 2011 at 11:14 am

Wondering about Payton and WY, too. Is HS-O going to do an analysis of Newsweek’s criteria for ranking?
    I’d really, really like to read comments from Dir. of Admissions at a variety of colleges and universities on what effect these rankings have on students’ acceptances — wouldn’t you?

• 3. parent  |  June 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

I’m a Lane parent and love the school, but this list is ridiculous. I think we go through this every year and the deciding factor is how many AP classes are offered per graduate–NOT how many students pass the AP test. WYHS, Jones, and ETHS are not on the list which renders it ridiculous.

• 4. cpsobsessed  |  June 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

Conversely, I’ve always thought it’s kind of strange to include test-in schools on a list like this at all.
    I mean, of course Northside is at the top – they skim off the best students in the city!

I feel like test-in schools should have a separate list, as they muddy the water a bit. The old apples vs. oranges thing….

• 5. Mom2  |  June 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

@4, I agree with you about all these lists. When they do the top high schools, top in the country, top CPS schools, etc. they include full test-in schools and partial test-in schools and might put an * by the name. That * isn’t enough. Even when they do top CPS elementary schools, they include schools like Bell that have both gifted and general student populations. You can never tell where the general portion of the school falls when they do this.

Keeping in mind that it is a SE school, I also love Lane and am glad to see it is one of the top 500 schools in the whole country. How nice. But I also question how it can be on the list and Payton, WYHS, Jones, and others are not. I can’t believe that those schools are not in the top 500 schools in the country. I’ll have to better understand the criteria used here.

• 6. Esmom  |  June 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I also agree with the apples to oranges nature of including selective enrollment schools, it’s crazy.

Small clarification that #197 is Maine South. There are three Maine Township high schools, all solid although South seems to be the crown jewel. Incidentally, the board just voted to give their superintendent , Dr. Ken Wallace, what amounts to basically a $25,000 bonus for meeting all of their goals for the year.

• 7. CPSDepressed (was copyeditor)  |  June 21, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I’m not sure colleges care too much about these lists. They care more about how a student did relative to the opportunities that they were given. Someone who managed to get a 32 ACT at Crane can write his or her own ticket! The reason that New Trier sends so many students to the Ivy League is that they have so many parents who are Ivy League alumni. Take out the legacies, and I’ll bet its college placement doesn’t look so spectacular.

• 8. Mayfair Dad  |  June 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

@ 2 and others. I am recently obsessed with the college admissions process and agree that most are looking at class rank, difficulty of curriculum (AP classes, IB diploma), extra curriculars, essays, other factors that make a student stand out. Some colleges are “test score optional” so if Mayfair Son has a bad day and really tanks the SAT, no worries, that private liberal arts college in Iowa is looking better all the time.

@ 7: you make a good point about legacies but also that the pipeline now exists and over time New Trier has become a proven farm team for certain colleges, regardless of where Mom & Dad went to college. Plus most New Trier families won’t bat an eye when that $45K tuition bill comes due. What hurts the kids in the North Shore zip codes is lack of diversity, not a lack of achievement.

• 9. Jill  |  June 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Frankly it can also be challenging for high-performing students at competitive schools to distinguish themselves from same-school peers in the college admissions process. Something to consider when feeling defensive over whether or not your child’s school made the list.

• 10. IB&RGC Mom  |  June 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I just clicked the link to the article and they changed their criteria for comprising the list.

graduation rate (25%), college matriculation rate (25%), AP tests taken per graduate (25%), average SAT/ACT scores (10%), average AP/IB/AICE scores (10%), and AP courses offered (5%).

• 11. James  |  June 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Any list that doesn’t include Payton and Whitney Young is ridiculous. No observant person could claim that those two schools aren’t among the best in the state, if not the country. This is a stupid, attention-grabbing stunt to sell magazines.

• 12. cps grad  |  June 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm

@CPSDepressed–I do not agree with your comments about New Trier. The students from New Trier who go to the Ivy League deserve to be there 100% academically speaking.

• 13. IB&RGC Mom  |  June 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm

At this point, I don’t even care what any list says. Ok maybe slightly still, but I will begin looking at high schools next year and will judge for myself by what I see and parent feedback, etc. From what I have seen personally I have WY on the top of the list no matter what Newsweek says. Haven’t visited Payton yet, but since we are in tier 4 we need to be realistic.

One main factor I will look at is how happy the kids are. I wish there was a list that tells you that.

Though I can’t imagine how disappointing it is for the schools like Payton and WY who have been on this list over and over to not be on there any longer.

I like that it includes college matriculation, but if all of the students from a certain high school go to a community college it doesn’t make the school a top school in my book. Not that I am knocking community college (went there myself), just trying to make a point.

• 14. CPSDepressed (was copyeditor)  |  June 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm

CPS Grad, I’m not saying that those students from New Trier who get into the Ivy League don’t deserve to be there. But I am saying that people who are legacies have an advantage. Harvard gets, what. 40,000 applications a year? And how many of those people can do the work – only 2000? Or is it more like 20,000 or 30,000? The only legacies who get in are those who can do the work, but most of the people who are rejected from Harvard can also do the work. They also deserve to be there 100% academically speaking, but there are only so many slots.

• 15. cps grad  |  June 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm

CPSDepressed, Ah, I understand now what you meant. But I must say that in reality those top name schools, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, don’t accept that many students from New Trier. Maybe 2-3 each every year. Even if the students they accept are legacies (and not all of them are) I don’t think that the legacy aspect would end up keeping others out. What I am trying to say, if no student from New Trier were a legacy, I think those top Ivy Leagues would continue to accept the same numbers from New Trier.

• 16. Esmom  |  June 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

@Jill, you are right. I know a newly minted Maine South grad who was lamenting how hard it’s become to get into U of I/Urbana-Champaign with so many high achieving classmates all vying to get in. He didn’t get in so has elected to enroll in community college and hopes to transfer to UIUC in a year or two. Interestingly, Maine south’s district just voted to drop class rankings, following the lead of New Trier and other suburban districts.

• 17. cpsobsessed  |  June 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Hm, New Trier has oddly low SAT scores. I don’t think a lot of IL students take the SATs do they? That could be affecting the score, because it doesn’t really make sense compared to the other affluent schools. Dang, 14 kids per teacher ratio? Certainly can’t complain about that.

I wanted to see what was bringing down Payton and Young but I don’t see the data for those schools.

I have always enjoyed driving visitors past North Side College Prep and casually remarking that it’s the “top high school in the state”! Of course I don’t mention the test-in disclaimer. I just like to make it known that there are good schools in the city.

• 18. JKR  |  June 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm

A few weeks ago, NSCP was not on the list for the Washington Post’s high school challenge. I was told that the individual school had to respond to be condidered, and that NSCP didn’t participate this year for the Washington Post list. I don’t know what the criteria was for Newsweek, but perhaps Jones, Young, Payton did not participate. Some of these lists consider private and public schools, test-in, non- test in, and have a poverty/disadvantaged factor weighed in. (See U.S. News and World Report). For parents in Chicago looking for a public, SE / IB option for their kids, the top 5 or 6 all offer an excellent public education, which is why it is so hard to get into any of them. They each have their own “personality” but their results are very close to each other and any hardworking individual kid at any of them has been offered a great opportunity.

• 19. cps grad  |  June 21, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I absolutely do not believe the average SAT of 1293. I’m guessing that is only the critical reading and math scores and is missing the writing score component. The average SAT in the county is a 1500.

• 20. cpsobsessed  |  June 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I was going to ask about the scores. What is the top score now with the writing component? I agree – that SAT score for New Trier looks fishy.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

• 21. cps grad  |  June 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I don’t pay attention to these rankings because the numbers may not accurately reflect what is really happening in a school. As a math teacher I understand how statistics are very subject to interpretation.

For example beware of any rankings that list child/teacher ratio. This is not the same thing as average class size, and does not necessarily translate to the classroom. Those faculty members may or may not be in a classroom. Also some schools may have some very small classes (5-10 students such as special education sections), they may have classes with 2 teachers, some but then in regular classes have 20-25 students.

Also in regards to ACT/SAT scores. I looked at the Newsweek rankings and they only listed the SAT scores. In Illinois, few students take the SAT in comparison to the ACT and the School Report Card reports ACT score rather than SAT scores. Sometimes in national comparisons the do a conversion between the 2 scores. Now in Illinois, for example, the ACT is given to every single junior in a high school through the Prairie State Exam. This will bring down the overall averages of Illinois ACT scores since traditionally only college bound juniors take the exam but now everyone takes it.

• 22. HSObsessed  |  June 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm

OK, I’ve now read the deets of the new Newsweek methodology, so that you don’t have to.

Newsweek “reached out” to the heads at 10,000 public high schools. (Doesn’t say how they picked them, but probably it was the top half or so of all public HS out there, since the total is in the range of 25K nationwide.) To be considered for the final Newsweek list, the school had to respond by completing a survey requesting certain data. So it was the honor system, and fraught with honest disparities of measurements. Doesn’t say what percent of the 10K schools that were invited actually completed a survey, but then it says that 1,100 were “assessed” by Newsweek to produce the final list, so maybe only 1,100 responded? Unclear. Schools with less than 10 graduates were not included. If Newsweek suspected numbers fudging by the school, they were given a chance to give “clarification” of their data, and if they didn’t provide sufficient clarity, they were eliminated.

The criteria used:

25%: Four-year, on-time graduation rate
    25%: Percent of 2010 graduates who enrolled immediately in college (any college)
    10%: Average ACT and/or SAT score

25%: Ratio of number of AP/IB/AICE tests given to number of graduates
    10%: Average AP/IB/AICE score
    5%: Ratio of number of AP/IB/AICE courses offered to number of graduates

Had to look this up: AICE = Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education. Seems to be an English version of an IB program.

I separated the criteria into the first 60%, which are unrelated to AP/IB/AICE, and the last 40%, which are. The underlying argument for using AP/IB as a criteria is that it is a way to measure how much a school is providing challenging, pre-college level courses to its students. The argument against, made by schools that don’t have many AP courses, is that their honors courses are just as vigorous and challenging, even though they aren’t “AP”. Many people charge AP as being a moneymaking operation that is in business to sell their courses and textbooks. So in the end, I don’t know. Maybe 40% is still too much weighted in favor of those high schools that buy into the AP or IB method.

But that doesn’t explain why Lane is on the list and Payton/Young/Jones are not, correct? I’d have to dig deeper, but I think the latter three offer tons of AP courses, and I’m assuming their students score well on them. Anyone know?

• 23. cps grad  |  June 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm

cpsobsesssed–SAT has 3 sections each worth between 200-800 points. Top score is 2400. To obtain a 1293, students would be scoring around 430 on each of the 3 sections. I doubt that happend at New Trier.

• 24. LR  |  June 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I think these lists are fun to look at…but that is about it. I went to Glenbrook South (which interestingly is not on the list even though Glenbrook North is). There are so many things that a list such as this one cannot measure or doesn’t take into account (like quality of teachers, extracurriculars, etc.) So, look at it…enjoy it…and then throw it out. This list I find particularly meaningless because they are comparing high schools across the nation. That makes sense for colleges, but for high schools? I mean, really, I could care less where my school stands compared to schools in New York, or Georgia, or wherever because those schools are not options for me. Again, fun to look at? Sure! Meaningless? Totally!

• 25. No Dice  |  June 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm

HS Obsessed is right – schools had to respond to a survey to get into this list, and many likely did not. I know Payton did not. Lots of factors in these lists..

• 26. Northside Mom  |  June 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Here’s another list of rankings from the Washington Post that ran just a few weeks ago. Payton is ranked #77 nationally in this list, and #1 in Illinois. The only rankings that don’t require any work on behalf of the high school are the US News & World Report Rankings. Newsweek and The Washington Post both require surveys to be completed by the schools.

• 27. RL Julia  |  June 22, 2011 at 10:13 am

Mayfair Dad – I believe that Mayfair son can take the SAT as many times as either of you can stomach the experience or shell out the test fee – and only the highest score will count. As for all these rankings- well they are nice but any good evaluation should include a qualitative piece as well as a quantitative – take with a grain of salt. I can only assume that Payton didn’t fill out the form. According to the US News and World Report Rankings Northside is #37, Payton is #96, Jones is #99. Here’s the list of every gold, silver and bronze level school ranked in this report – sort of broadens the horizons a little:

• Silver Medal – Brooks College Preparatory Academy
    • Gold Medal – Northside College Preparatory High School
    • Bronze Medal – Prosser Career Academy High School
    • Silver Medal – Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center
    • Gold Medal – Walter Payton College Prep
    • Silver Medal – Whitney M. Young Magnet High School

• 28. HSObsessed  |  June 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

I was unaware of the USNWR rankings for high schools, and I’m very impressed. They use many more criteria, don’t penalize schools for not using AP/IB, and give credit to schools with high populations of lower socioeconomic students. They also have many categories of awards. Basically, a lot more work by that media organization that leads to a nice list.

• 29. JKR  |  June 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

Not only may a student take the SAT and ACT over many times. but SAT allows you to combine your best scores from different sections, from different tests. Colleges do look at how many times you take the test, but many kids take them more than once.
    Illinois is one of the few states that has all high school juniors take the ACT for free at school. Another factor to consider when ranking ACT scores per State.

• 30. HSObsessed  |  June 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

The list above @27 should also include Hubbard, which is a neighborhood CPS high school. It’s great to see high schools like Curie, Lake View and Hubbard on this list, as well as charter/contract schools like Chicago Academy and Chicago Military Academy. We can scoff at whether these lists mean anything, but for schools that are trying to “prove” that there are options beyond the SEHS, awards/recognition like this can be a powerful marketing tool to parents and kids.

• 31. HSObsessed  |  June 22, 2011 at 11:24 am

One last comment: Of the 29 high schools in Cook County that received recognition by USNWR, 17 of them are CPS schools! That’s more than half the list. Woot! For all you fellow old timers out there: We’ve come a long, long way.

• 32. Gapper  |  June 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Saw this from Rod Estvan over at District299 blog: “…We have also been through the discussion on this blog time after time over Lincoln Park and the fact (in 2010) that only 39.6% of black students by grade 11 are able to read at state standards where as 83.2% of the white students are reading at state standards and how can this shool be listed as one of the best high schools. We have dicussed the IB program and honors program and how it is a different world from the general program….”

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/district-299/2011/06/lists-northside-lane-lincoln-park-make-top-500.html#ixzz1Q2rEadna

• 33. JKR  |  June 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Check out this article to see the difference between the Washington Post’s High School Challenge from few weeks ago and the Newsweek list: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/class-struggle/post/welcoming-a-new-school-rating-scoundrel/2011/06/21/AGFViGeH_blog.html
    Also The WP list left off 22 super selective public schools of which Northside College Prep and Illinois Math and Science Academy were on. http://www.washingtonpost.com/top-performing-schools-with-elite-students/2011/05/17/AFcLeQ7G_story_1.html

• 34. klm  |  June 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I do wonder about these kinds of lists as a “pure” standard of academic achievement. I remember on year that LPHS was ranked way above New Trier, for example, despite a way higher average ACT at New Trier, etc. (at the time LHS’s average ACT score wasn’t even in the top 100 in Illinois). Whatever. I know that “USNews” used to use some sort of equation where scores were adjusted for achievement corresponding to % of kids qualifying for free lunch, etc. Do they still do that? I always hate that, because it smacks of a kind of elite prejudice hiding in an “enlightened” sheep’s clothing :”Wow. You’re really smart for a POOR person!”. I KNOW schools are more than test scores, but people need to face facts: testing is a HUGE part of life. Not only for school admissions, but also for licensing exams required for everything from massage therapist to board certification in neurosurgery. Face it, if your child were very ill and needed life-saving treatment, who would you rather have: The physician with the 35 ACT born with every advantage in life or the one who scored 15 with really difficult life circumstances , but who tried his/her best? I’m very sympathetic to the latter, but I’d have to go with the former when push comes to shove.

• 35. Hawthorne mom  |  June 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm

My father in law, who still works at Curie sometimes, mentioned to me that their average ACT score is now at 20. That is really pretty good, particularly for a neighborhood school. We live way, way too far away from Curie, but I think if we did live over on the southwest side, we’d consider it. Also, if I understand it correctly, they have an excellent ballet program over there.

• 36. cpsobsessed  |  July 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

Offensive comments removed. If anyone here has an alter-ego (real or imaginary) who has the need to express something, please encourage them to do so constructively. We’re happy to discuss.

• 37. Cpsparent  |  July 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Given the weight this publication gave to AP courses, the rankings lack credibility. Selective and highly selective colleges are turning up their noses (and turning down credits) at AP coursework. Too many students who’ve completed the coursework and scored 3-5 on the tests need remedial work in their AP subjects. Courses in the AP curriculum are currently being rewritten because of all of the complaints from colleges and high schools. The College Board, which writes AP course curricula and exams, exists to sell standardized tests. A ranking of U.S. high schools that is based on the availability of AP courses or students’ outcomes therein is worthless to students/parents choosing a high school.

• 38. Parul Upadhyay  |  September 15, 2011 at 5:46 am

Hey thanks a lot for providing information on top high schools. I really liked your above article on high school academies. I will also suggest my friends to visit your site as we all are searching best high schools for educating our children. High school programs are really helpful for educating their students.

• 39. James  |  May 22, 2012 at 9:12 am

For what it’s worth, the 2012 U.S. News rankings are out. CPS has the top four Illinois high schools and six out of the top nine.

• 40. James  |  May 22, 2012 at 10:03 am

What the heck – as long as I’ve spent a few wasted minutes on the U.S. News list, I might as well cite Newsweek’s list too, which also just came out. Again, CPS did well according to this list: the top three high schools in Illinois are CPS, and four of the top ten.

I don’t think anyone should place too much stock in these lists, of course, but they are an interesting data point.

• 41. John  |  June 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I think it is worth noting that the sat they had when they calculated the ranks was over six hundred PTs lower then the actual number, there was a reporting error and the reported 1293 instead of 1910 do it is likely to have been higher. In terms of nonselective school nt had the highest act scores in the state and I’m almost certain newsweek does the conversion

• 42. http://www.sexsupplies.com.au/  |  August 21, 2013 at 2:29 am

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you have been working with? I’m having some small security issues
    with my latest website and I would like to find something more safeguarded.
    Do you have any suggestions?

• 43. コーチ バッグ 激安  |  October 2, 2013 at 1:36 am

miu miu 長財布

• 44. jake perales  |  March 5, 2014 at 9:43 am

Its not fair to compare rich millionaire suburban schools with poor low income city schools. That’s comparing apples to oranges. Suburban schools spend millions to help their students while city kids go to school in out dated classrooms and use outdated books and etc…

• 45. robotic cardiac surgery  |  April 2, 2014 at 6:57 am

Piece off writingg writing is also a excitement, if you know then you
    can write or else it is difficult to write.

• 46. Sheila  |  April 3, 2014 at 6:59 am

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a friend who has been conductjng a little research
    on this. And he actually bought me dinner simply because
    I fouund itt for him… lol. So let me reweord this….
    Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks ffor spending time to
    discuss this topic here on your internet site.

• 47. Corina  |  April 4, 2014 at 10:25 am

Please let mme know if you’re looking for a author for your site.You
    have some really good articles and I think I would be a good asset.
    If youu ever waznt to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.

Please shoot me an email if interested. Thanks!

• 48. Bitrained  |  April 5, 2014 at 7:18 am

I feel this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m happy rading your article. However want to remark
    on few common issues, The webb site taste is perfect, the articles iis in reality nice :
    D. Good job, cheers

• 49. Cooper  |  April 5, 2014 at 7:34 am

Hi, i think that i ssaw you visited my website thus i got here to
    returen the desire?.I’m attempting to in finding things to improve my web site!I suppose its good enough to use a ffew
    of yur ideas!!

• 50. family lawyers houston  |  April 9, 2014 at 6:38 am

I drop a comment when I like a article on a site or iif I have something to add too the conversation.
    Usually it’s a result of the sincerness commjunicated in the post I browsed.

And on this article Newsweeks List of Top High Schoolks (Guest post by HSObsessed)
    | CPS Obsessed. I waas moved enough to post a comment :-P I do havve 2 quewtions for you if you don’t mind. Is it simply me or does it look like like a
    few of these remarks appear as if thy are written by brain derad visitors? :-P And, if you are posting on other social sites, I would like to follow you.

Could you make a list all of you communal sites
    like your twitrer feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

• 51. creative logo design  |  June 3, 2014 at 8:07 am

hi!,I like your writing very a lot! share we communicate extra approximately your
    article on AOL? I need a speciaist on this area too
    resolve mmy problem. Maybe that’s you! Taking a look forward to look you.