Our Gifted Testing Experience – Part 2 (for 1st grade)

January 10, 2009 at 5:12 pm 7 comments

On a friend’s advice I called to see if I could reschedule my son’s 8am test time for the Gifted Test.  I decided to cancel the Classical test since I didn’t want to go down for the test 2 days in a row.  On they phone, they offered me a test time for the next day – slightly freaky, but why not?  I wasn’t planning to prepare my son in any way, so I just took the next-day option.  If I haven’t said it before, I wish the people who run the testing and the GEAP office people were running CPS.  In my experiences, they’ve all been incredibly nice, fairly accomadating, intelligent, and professional.  When you get into that time period where they’re doling out the gifted spots they are super-efficient (a word that rarely comes to mind when I think of CPS.)

So, test day — another snowy snowy day in our fine city.  I leave the house (in my usual late fashion) with the following:

Comic books

Book (Stink and the Super Stinky Sneakers)

Nintendo DS (in case we wait a long time – don’t know why I thought that since I was running late)

Headphones for Nintendo DS

Bottle of water

Tic Tacs

Lifesavers

Reading material for me

Extra pants and shirt in case the ones he’s wearing get wet in snow

Dollar bills for the parking lot, as instructed

What I leave the house without:

Our admissions notification with the testing ID# and exact address.

Exciting snack I promised my son in the car on the way to the test

I return home to get important document but am still lacking the snack.

Pick him up, usual dawdlings, starting to panic that we’ll be late, 4 blocks later he has to pee, pull into Lane Tech parking lot so he can pee in plastic bottle (thankful now that I don’t have a girl,) go to Wendy’s drive-thru adrenaline building so I miss highway exit, turn around, get on highway, freak out about traffic, continuously suck on Frosty straw getting continuously more angry that it is too thick to drink with straw, panic more.  Then something re-aligns in the universe, traffic opens up, Frosty comes up the straw, we hit 31st St. and breeze into test site early.  Whew.

This testing experience was different from that for Kindergarten placement in that a group of kids are all tested together.  We started in big lecture hall and the nice testing people explained what would happen, then 2 groups of 15 kids each were taken out.  The whole thing is easier because 5-year-olds are generally more sane than 4-year-olds.  I don’t think any child was having a major problem.   Off they marched, unaware of how their fate depended on this next hour.

The test guy said the test would involve no reading, but each question would have pictures and the child would be asked to choose the picture that was the right answer.  Of course once again, the kids were all brainwashed and my son couldn’t seem to recall ANYTHING that was on the test a mere 10 minutes prior.  And he said it was fun and “awesome!”

The kids were in there for exactly an hour, then all marched out, seemingly a bit weary.  All in all, fairly painless.

UPDATE: Through conversational trickery, we got him to divulge a couple things about the test (pre 1st grade gifted test:)  The picture answers were all in black and white.  They had to fill in a circle below the correct answer.  One question was to choose the piece the completed a puzzle above.  The other was to choose which shape matched the 3 others above it.  He says there were no letter/numbers.  So take that for what it’s worth.

About these ads

Entry filed under: Regional Gifted Program. Tags: , .

Got a Test Date. Ugh. The End of De-Seg as We Know It?

• 1. Meg  |  January 15, 2009 at 2:10 pm

It’s interesting there are no numbers or letters on the test. Especially so, since the gifted program my daughter attended (for 2 months before I pulled her out) worked out of a 2nd grade math book. My point is that if they are testing pure intelligence, and not learned skills, the why did that school assume that the 1st graders who qualified for the gifted program were prepared to do 2nd grade math? Mine was not. This particular school has NO gifted kindergarten where they might have gained the 1st grade math skills. When I complained that my kid had not had 1any st grade math instruction, and so was not understanding their math, I was told there was not much they could do! When my daughter asked for math help in class, she was told “Use a resource”, we want independent learners. I’m glad the gifted program works for some, but for us it was a horrible experience. Other parents complained about the math and 1st graders were copying off each other! Her score qualified her for the program, and she was reading at 3rd grade level, but I pulled her out and put her back in Catholic school where they have to listen to you because youre paying for it. Enjoy your blog. If you want to know which school this was, let me know!

• 2. cpsobsessed  |  January 16, 2009 at 4:52 am

Very good point! I’m going to write a post about that — coming soon.

• 3. liz  |  February 3, 2009 at 12:08 am

I am so with you on the IIT/GEAP people thing. They are accomodating and awesome!

• 4. jem  |  May 11, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Our child was just accepted into gifted program for 2nd grade, we are really stuggling with decisions to pull her from boring school where she is happy but bored crapless into new school where she wont be the smartest one anymore.

• 5. cpsobsessed  |  May 11, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Jem, that is a tough one. Is the boring school your neighborhood school? You could always go back….

• 6. J Smith  |  January 15, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Meg, each state and sometimes each school district within that state has it’s own guidelines for “giftedness”. For example, they may accept only “intellectually gifted” children, only “creatively gifted” children or both. This would determine the type of program that they teach.

• 7. najia nishat uddin  |  November 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm

i want my child to be a talented kid cause she needs more practice